Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Have you ever been 'beaten' by a book?

Have you ever had a book that you tried to read over and over again and still couldn't finish? And I don't mean a book you started and didn't like and put aside.

I have been fortunate that my family was always big readers and never tried to sensor what we were reading when growing up.

My Dad always suggested books. And as a 'good' girl I tried to work my way through Steinbeck, Hemmingway etc. One book that was very important to him just 'beat' me. I still haven't finished it although I try it ever couple of years.

The book: Uhuru by Robert Ruark [novel written against a vast, turbulent background of present-day Africa (in 1962, tells gripping story of a white colonial and his gradual disintegration in the face of the tensions and horror tearing that continent apart.]
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
camino real
Enthusiast
camino real is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-300
I can't tell you how many times I've started Joyce's Ulysses. So many times that I know the first few words "Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead.." I get annoyed that the book defeats me. I've heard parts of it read out and it's wonderful. I might try an ebook version.

I've read the first volume of Proust's epic but didn't go any further. I must try harder with great literature!
camino real is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 AM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Mervyn Peake's 'Titus Groan' - every few years I make a fresh attempt; but I never make it beyond the first hundred pages.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
There's a whole genre of books that regularly defeat me, so I've stopped lookng at them. They are the tell-alls by various "insiders" and "intimates." I find I really hate gossipmongers and fast-buck books they write.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
The House of the Seven Gables - I tried, over and over again I tried, but I could never finish it. For some reason, I would lose all interest about one third of the way through. I have now officially given up on it.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #6
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" . One of my professors lent it to me 6-7 months ago, and I just can't get through it. It is his favourite book and asks me on an almost daily basis if I've finished it, what do I think of it so far, didn't I love that scene etc. I tell him that I can't seem to find the time to read it, which is a blatant lie, as I have read tons of books in the meantime and he have probably even mentioned them in front of him. He has also lent me "Lila", the sequel. I don't have the heart to tell him that I can't bear to look at either of them anymore. I'm going to give it one last try. The book does have interesting parts, but they are inter spaced with incredibly boring parts; perhaps the ending will make up for it? (That is wishful thinking on my part)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Godel, Escher, Bach, an Eternal Golden Braid by eric Hofstadter. I resolve to read it once a year and get so far and then stop. Maybe if it were in e-book... Yeah, that's it, I'll wait for the e-book!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #8
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Lord of the Rings.
I've had the book for so long the pages have turned yellow and started to disintegrate. Tried to read it again and again but just die of boredom each time. Seems to be about funny little gnomes having huge long......long.....longgg battles.
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
Lord of the Rings.
I've had the book for so long the pages have turned yellow and started to disintegrate. Tried to read it again and again but just die of boredom each time. Seems to be about funny little gnomes having huge long......long.....longgg battles.
I actually made it through the series but I did often wonder why it became such a hit. Loved the movies but it was such a hard read for me. Mostly because Tolkien constantly breaks his own rythm by interspacing 3 page songs or poems or whatever right into the middle of things.

Can't really think of any book that has "beaten" me. If I don't like a book or loose interest in it for some unknown reason then I put it down and don't even think of ever going back.

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #10
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
"Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" . One of my professors lent it to me 6-7 months ago, and I just can't get through it. It is his favourite book and asks me on an almost daily basis if I've finished it, what do I think of it so far, didn't I love that scene etc. I tell him that I can't seem to find the time to read it, which is a blatant lie, as I have read tons of books in the meantime and he have probably even mentioned them in front of him. He has also lent me "Lila", the sequel. I don't have the heart to tell him that I can't bear to look at either of them anymore. I'm going to give it one last try. The book does have interesting parts, but they are inter spaced with incredibly boring parts; perhaps the ending will make up for it? (That is wishful thinking on my part)
Hmmm, I read about 3/4 of that book. I should really finish it. I found I had to be in the mood for the contemplative parts, but then I would actually really enjoy them. You need the headspace to deal with that book. Tell your professor you've got too much on your mind to appreciate it at this point in time but that you've gleaned it's going to be an interesting read and you'll get to it later
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:31 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Godel, Escher, Bach, an Eternal Golden Braid by eric Hofstadter. I resolve to read it once a year and get so far and then stop. Maybe if it were in e-book... Yeah, that's it, I'll wait for the e-book!
Well, it *is* Out There

I once tried to read 'Dianetics' (on a bet) and decided after about a hundred pages that just about anything else was a far better way to spend my time. I don't know if that counts :-)
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:35 AM   #12
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Well, it *is* Out There

I once tried to read 'Dianetics' (on a bet) and decided after about a hundred pages that just about anything else was a far better way to spend my time. I don't know if that counts :-)
Not really, unless of course you are still trying
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:30 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
The Sound and the Fury - Faulkner. I'm about halfway after several starts/restarts over the last 10 years.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:45 AM   #14
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Dickens. I've tried 3 or 4 novels, and I really gave them a chance - 'Oliver Twist' I made it half-way through before I finally gave up. His writing is just so boring to me.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Dickens. I've tried 3 or 4 novels, and I really gave them a chance - 'Oliver Twist' I made it half-way through before I finally gave up. His writing is just so boring to me.
Really? I find most of his work fascinating.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote