Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
charlieh
charlieh began at the beginning.

Device: Astak
Advice on creating a PDF for eReader

I generate a genealogy book in PDF form every year for our family reunion. This year I thought it might be a good idea to generate one designed for a "typical" eReader. (I don't know what is typical, but I'd assume something like the Sony PRS 700 or the new 600).

What I'd like to get is any suggestions on how to best optimize that PDF file. I usually generate the PDFs for a typical 8 1/2 x 11 inch page, and the book runs about 1700 pages in that form, including the index.

Incidentally, I don't yet actually have an eReader. I ordered an eSlick a few weeks ago, but sent it back because it froze up, so now I'm looking at possibly getting a PRS 600 when they show up at stores.

I can generate a PDF from my genealogy program, but that doesn't give a lot of options. I can also create a Word DOC file from the genealogy program, then generate the PDF from Word using a PDF creator. Also, I have Acrobat 6 on an old computer, and with that can modify a PDF to trim the margins, if that would be an advantage (or create the PDF with minimum margins from Word).

So... what "page size" and "font size" (and font type) make for best reading on a typical 6" eReader?
charlieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #2
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Charlieh!

I wish I could help with your pdf question, but am completely lacking in knowledge. I would suggest that you repost your question in Workshop forum or the PDF forum. Good luck.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2009, 06:15 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I make PDFs for the Sony Reader all the time; I set the page sizes in Word first. I use 3.54" x 4.6" pages, with .1" margins (but I like very small margins).

I use 9pt Georgia, most of the time, but I also like fairly small fonts. Most people like 10-12 pt fonts. If you use blank space between paragraphs, you can probably use fonts on the smaller end (9-10); if you use indented paragraphs only, the larger font sizes are okay.

I'm okay with very tiny fonts on the Reader (6pt, sometimes), but most people aren't.

The page count will be HUGE. If there are images or graphs, you'll need to consider how to format those.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
charlieh
charlieh began at the beginning.

Device: Astak
Thanks Elfwreck, that's just the kind of information I need. I'll make this year's book per your recommendations, and hopefully by next year I'll have some experience of my own!
charlieh is offline   Reply With Quote