Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you miss text to speech?
Yes... 28 51.85%
Nope. 26 48.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
No more text to speech???

no more text to speech??? are you sad?? if you are, read my kindle review from the amazon website:

I absolutely love my Kindle 2 from Amazon. I never write reviews, and for good reason. I cheated at typing in high school; therefore typing is such a chore for me. But my zeal for the Kindle has me pecking away at the keyboard like mad today. If you love reading buy it. Now. You won't regret it---I guarantee. Ladies and Gentlemen, I guarantee you will love your Kindle or you can ship it to me, NO questions asked.
Highs:
The screen is beautiful
It works as advertised
It sits nicely in the hand--buy the amazon case...it rocks, too.
Someone may actually ship me their unloved kindle
Lows:
The interface is slow (but intuitive)
The web-browser is lame but it works
Price... still worth it though.
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:04 PM   #2
astromusic
astromusic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I think this "no more text to speech" is misleading, and not supported by Amazon's announcement. All they said was that they will give copyright holders a way to turn of TTS for selected titles, at their option.
astromusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
pippin65
Enthusiast
pippin65 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
which will be the majority of titles, I wager
pippin65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 10:37 AM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Is the TTS turned off and publishers can have it activated or the TTS activated and publishers can have it deactivated?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #5
ohbalto
Raaaargh!
ohbalto began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Wasn't ever going to use it. Not going to miss it.

While I certainly understand people's desire to have one device that does everything for them, I bought my Kindle to read books on. That's it. Over. Done. It does its job in an exemplary fashion and I have no complaints (though I will be quite pleased when I have a real cover for it).
ohbalto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin65 View Post
Actually I doubt it would be. I think the Author's Guild wanted to establish that it was their right to allow or forbid it. That doesn't mean that they won't be generous in allowing it. After all, they risk the ire of the disabled community and others by forbidding it but they don't really lose anything by allowing it. The technology as it stands today is not really competition for a professional audio book. It makes sense for them to protect their rights early on, though. They don't have to forbid TTS to do that. They just have to establish that Amazon needs their permission.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
astromusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippin65 View Post
Well, that's still just a guess on your part. Consider the following:

1. All Public Domain/Non-DRM files will be TTS enabled.
2. All Newspapers, magazines, periodicals, blogs etc. will be TTS enabled.
3. If people do not buy non-TTS books as much as TTS books, the copyright holders will not have much of a choice.

In any case "No More TTS" is definitely incorrect. Many titles, perhaps even most titles, will still have TTS.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #8
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I agree, I have way more non-Amazon books on my Kindle and I truly enjoy having a book read to me and often as not, I follow along with the text, but it's nice to gaze out a window and still listen to the ongoing story or cook a meal, etc. I like the ability to multitask. I even have Kindle read to me while I am in the tub. Now that's the height of luxury!
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:54 AM   #9
jemmagirl
jemmagirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
TTS is a wonderful thing to have when you are driving across country ... my husband and I put in a lot of miles between his family and mine (1500 miles between 'em!) and we are loving the TTS option. Audiobooks are really expensive ... this is a wonderful option for us.
jemmagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmagirl View Post
TTS is a wonderful thing to have when you are driving across country ... my husband and I put in a lot of miles between his family and mine (1500 miles between 'em!) and we are loving the TTS option. Audiobooks are really expensive ... this is a wonderful option for us.
If the two of your are in the car, can't one read to the other? I would much rather my wife read to me than listen to TTS.

Also, you can get audiobooks from many libraries. You can rent them at Cracker Barel (US) and return them at any other cracker barrel.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:12 PM   #11
astromusic

Well, pilotbob, you make a good point. But, many people (including myself) cannot read in the car because it makes us nauseous. Audiobooks are great, but more expensive for casual use. I am a gold member of Audible.com, but I find myself only using it for books I want to keep for a long time, since they are more expensive. I don't know about libraries in Florida, but in California, their selection sucks big.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:36 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic View Post
Well, pilotbob, you make a good point. But, many people (including myself) cannot read in the car because it makes us nauseous. Audiobooks are great, but more expensive for casual use. I am a gold member of Audible.com, but I find myself only using it for books I want to keep for a long time, since they are more expensive. I don't know about libraries in Florida, but in California, their selection sucks big.
I understand the not being able to read in the car thing. I just don't think I could take the TTS for more than 5 minutes.

SO, you listen to more than 1 audible book a month? I guess you do alot of driving?

Have you looking into the NYPL? You can get a non-resident card for $100 a year. They have a great ebook selection... I think they also have audio books.

BOb
Old 03-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #13
jemmagirl
jemmagirl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Yes, Bob, thanks for your good advice, however I work ++++ hours (doctoral student, nurse practitioner practice and I teach at an out-of-country University) and literally can't squeeze in trips back and forth to the library between trips (got real tired of the overdue fees). Also, I get car sick. PLUS it is the only time right now we get to enjoy one another and stare out of the window and comment on things. No, the TTS is a really nice option for us. We are just leaving for another trip for my research and family visit and Kindle2 is all packed and ready to go!
jemmagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 10:21 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemmagirl View Post
Yes, Bob, thanks for your good advice, however I work ++++ hours (doctoral student, nurse practitioner practice and I teach at an out-of-country University) and literally can't squeeze in trips back and forth to the library between trips (got real tired of the overdue fees).
The only trip you will have to make to the library to borrow an audio book is with your web browser.

I'm glad you are enjoying the TTS.

BOb
Old 03-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #15
Pruitt
Pruitt began at the beginning.

Bob, you do realize that the TTS voices in the K2 sound noting like what is in the Amazon example video they posted a while back? It's actually quite good. At least on par with anything I've heard using programs like Dragoon, etc, before. It is not mechanical sounding like that advanced video showed at all.

I can listen to eBooks with no problem at all using the new TTS feature on the K2. Other then some proper nouns not being necessarily pronounced correctly, it's actually pretty nice. I don't use it very much preferring like most to read my books instead, but I certainly don't hesitate to use it due to the quality of the voice. Just my $0.02.
Pruitt is offline   Reply With Quote