Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #61
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
How does one sideload a new firmware onto the Aura HD?

Thanks.
Explained here
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #62
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
How does one sideload a new firmware onto the Aura HD?

Thanks.
See post #3 in this thread...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #63
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Thanks that worked.

So lets see. My quick rundown of version 3:

1) No new options on reading menu
2) Nothing new on the book page
3) Still no ability to design custom tap zones or vertical tap zones
4) Still no way to sort collections by series number
5) Integration with Pocket (This might have been in 2.10. I only got that update today.)
6) Software version number on Settings->Device Information = 3.0.0

If anyone who likes just likes to read books on their eReader is wondering if its worth the 5 minute it will take to perform this upgrade, my personal opinion is that it isn't.

If anyone out there is wondering what exactly Kobo's developers added to be worth a major version number increase, I have no idea.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #64
dclauzel
Enthusiast
dclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to beholddclauzel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Screenshot taken on an Aura HD.

Just a quick slide of the power button is enough. No user feedback for this action (bad UI!); the pictures are stored into "/mnt/onboard/screen_[0-9]{3}.png"
dclauzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:55 PM   #65
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Tried it on my HD. Dictionary is now available directly under Extras. I can now access the brightness menu directly from the light icon on the top bar. The 1% light bug is still present.

Some extra options when deleting books (if it's in a collection we can tick to choose if we want to remove it from the collection only or from the device too). We can now choose to show the info panel on full screen covers for screensaver. You need to go to library setings to select the "show only downloaded items" option (before you could do it Books -> Show)

Last edited by Angemon; 11-14-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thanks that worked.

5) Integration with Pocket (This might have been in 2.10. I only got that update today.)

If anyone who likes just likes to read books on their eReader is wondering if its worth the 5 minute it will take to perform this upgrade, my personal opinion is that it isn't.

If anyone out there is wondering what exactly Kobo's developers added to be worth a major version number increase, I have no idea.
I take it you haven't bothered reading the rest of this thread. There has been plenty of changes mentioned. But, this firmware version is about the Touch. Kobo are getting it up to the same interface as the newer devices. The other devices will get this firmware to keep them in sync. That might mean it is not worthwhile sideloading it on Glo, Aura or AuraHD. But, then again, there are changes on the library list that are good.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #67
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Thanks that worked.

Davidfor's Kobo utilities will let you sort the books by series number. It works very well.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #68
Crysik
Crysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to beholdCrysik is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Thanks that worked.

Since I updated the whole device has been running a lot faster and smoother. Even if they didn't add anything (which they did) it would be worth an update based just on the performace.
Crysik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #69
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysik View Post
Since I updated the whole device has been running a lot faster and smoother. Even if they didn't add anything (which they did) it would be worth an update based just on the performace.
In what way please.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #70
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Still waiting for it to rollout to my area.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 03:05 AM   #71
HBosch
HBosch began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crysik View Post

Just for my better understanding:

Do you compare the improvement with 2.8 or 2.10 ? - and with an Aura ?

thank you
HBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 AM   #72
Goner
Connoisseur
Goner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to beholdGoner is a marvel to behold

Device: ARCHOS 80G9, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-T1, BeBook Club S, Icarus Reader Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
That might mean it is not worthwhile sideloading it on Glo, Aura or AuraHD.
I heard on a Dutch Kobo forum that 3.0.0 is now also available (via Sync) for the Glo.
Turned out to be 2.10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angemon View Post
Tried it on my HD. Dictionary is now available directly under Extras.
Not on the Touch.
So this firmware is originally for the Touch and it adds features to other readers, but not for the Touch

Last edited by Goner; 11-15-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: correction version
Goner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 05:49 AM   #73
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goner View Post
Not on the Touch.
So this firmware is originally for the Touch and it adds features to other readers, but not for the Touch
That got me as well. I'm assuming Kobo are doing the updates in steps like they did for the Glo. One release had the tiled home screen and another the updated lists.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:11 AM   #74
Angemon
Enthusiast
Angemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to beholdAngemon is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kindle DX
Here's something that's annoying in 3.0.0: when you finish reading a sideloaded cbr it doesn't automatically updates the number of read books. It was like that with cbr/cbz, but now i can no longer long press it and choose "mark as read" because that option is not showing up anymore. And it won't update the number even if i mark it as unread and then as read.
Angemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #75
_pietro
Connoisseur
_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse_pietro can illuminate an eclipse

Device: none
touch and pdf, clicking options in the up/bottom bar introduces a "lag"
_pietro is offline   Reply With Quote