Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-01-2012, 08:30 AM   #1
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch hacked
Which is better rooted kindle touch with lighted cover or nook touch with glowlight

which do you prefer?adding extra fonts,epub support,etc are not an issue as all these can be achieved by rooting.i prefer touch over buttons.i am a leftie so the kindle touch's page turn area suits me better. frontlight and weight are not an issue too as i feel both are too much lightweight and need some weight (at least 12 ounces) by adding a cover or they feel too flimsy and also the kindle touch lighted cover has a light so front light is not an issue.i dont care much about uneven light.the things i really want are:
1.mp3,text to speech(need an eink all in one device)
2.highest possible text quality,contrast
3.within 150 $
i think the scale is going towards kindle touch.but still what is your opinion.
note: dont say kt has ads.even nook has them in another form
techiemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever
techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now the nook touch with glowlight has lost one more advantage over the kindle touch-a graphical ui.yesterday uxtab released a mod which turns the kindle touch ui into a graphical ui.it can be enabled and disabled..it is for rooted kindle touch only.
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 02:57 AM   #3
MissKittiness
Achievement Unlocked!
MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MissKittiness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
At this stage, I would go for the Kindle with a lighted cover - but that's because I've seen around that apparently the Nook has some fragility issues with the glowlight malfunctioning. If anything, if you're after a glowing screen, I'd wait for Nook to release another glowlight device, or wait and see what Amazon or Sony does with the front-lighting capability.
MissKittiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #4
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

maybe i am the only one,but the nook's size and looks look and feel weird.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #5
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKittiness View Post
At this stage, I would go for the Kindle with a lighted cover - but that's because I've seen around that apparently the Nook has some fragility issues with the glowlight malfunctioning. If anything, if you're after a glowing screen, I'd wait for Nook to release another glowlight device, or wait and see what Amazon or Sony does with the front-lighting capability.
Where have you seen the reports of problems with the Nook glowlight?
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 11:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Where have you seen the reports of problems with the Nook glowlight?
See the nook forum here. There have been a number of reports that the so-called "screen protector" (in reality, a light-diffuser) is fragile, and that very minor knocks will result in scratches to it, which result in the light shining through brightly in those places.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #7
wedwo
wedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheese

Device: B&N Nook Simple Touch
Nook Simple Touch.... why? Cos you can root it, run Kindle for Android and a bunch of other android apps You can then buy your books from B&N and Amazon.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1351719

Android eink tablet.
wedwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
wedwo
wedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheesewedwo can extract oil from cheese

http://gizmodo.com/5881056/on-second...e-best-ereader

Gizmodo thinks the Nook is better too
Old 08-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
wedwo

More about rooting the glowlight NST here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1675706
Old 08-15-2012, 04:18 AM   #10
techiemonkey
Tech Geek Forever

Rumours are pouring out that a frontlit kindle is in the works and can be released as early as next week. @wedwo a rooted kindle touch has all the features of a rooted nook str (for the reader apps of android there are alternatives for kindle touch with the same features.for eg.pdf reading, epub: Duokan or Jbpatch) Only angrybirds isnt there but anyway who would want to play a game on a monochrome eink screen.