Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-22-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
fletchdt
fletchdt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Unwanted epub files once mobi files have been converted.

Im completely new to Calibre, so maybe this is a simple and i am missing something very easy.

Im converting epub files to mobi files, but once i have converted the files to mobi, they still leave an epub file in the folder Calibre has made. Is there anyway i can stop Calibre from leaving epub file in the new folder? Because all i need is the mobi file.

Thankyou
fletchdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
First off epub files are generally pretty small but if you hate the thought of having them you can remove all files of a specific format to get rid of a bunch at once or click the remove icon in the edit metadata screen to get rid of one at a time.

No automatic solution but as it takes seconds to remove all files of a specific format from say 1000 books not a problem IMO.

Caveat: Deleting the original format will most likely come back and bite you...

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
And whats more you only see the files if you peek under the skirts of Calibre and into the library itself
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
fletchdt
fletchdt began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks your help speakingtohe. One more question, if i was to add epub files to my kindle in the same folder as mobi files would they take up space on my kindle, even though the kindle cant read them?

Because when i look in the directory file of my kindle the epub files are still there.
fletchdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchdt View Post
Thanks your help speakingtohe. One more question, if i was to add epub files to my kindle in the same folder as mobi files would they take up space on my kindle, even though the kindle cant read them?

Because when i look in the directory file of my kindle the epub files are still there.
If you use Send to Device (Kindle), It sends ONLY the first ENABLED format found in the Device driver (preference). No way it should send EPUB if the setting has not been modified.

Now Send to DISK will send more than 1 format (by default. there are settings)
A unused format takes space on on the device that has limited storage.

Your PC, while not unlimited, has way more, so keeping the 'original' on the PC makes sense as every conversion layer loses something and can add noise (code). So if you later need a different format (or need to edit that EPUB and make a fresh Mobi you start cleaner
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
As theducks said using send to device should only send one format.

To be doubly sure:
go to preferences>plugins>device interface plugins and click on your particular kindle plug in.
Click customize and make sure epub is unchecked. It should be by default, but sometimes one changes things.

Another reason to keep the epub is mobi files have nonstandard (depending in how you define standard) metadata so if you use book jackets for example and reconvert you get an extra jacket and extra page.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote