Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
Loading eBooks on the Kindle 3 with Calibre

I've promised to help a member of our seniors computer club to load eBooks from his computer onto his brand new Kindle three

His Kindle is the one with a keyboard and 3G, not a Touch

I'm the bloke who sorts out members computer problems, both software and hardware, so I'm supposed to know what I'm doing

With my Kobo Touch I connect to the computer then open Calibre, after a minute two new icons pop up on the Calibre toolbar
One icon (Device) shows me which books I have in the eReader and I can delete books I've read, the other icon (Send to device) loads books I select onto the eReader

Will this method load eBooks onto the Kindle 3 eReader or is it a little different ?
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:31 AM   #2
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Calibre works fine with Kindle. The method you describe should work in the same way for all devices supported by Calibre.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Using Calibre just to copy books is overkill, since the Kindle 3 will show up as an USB drive if you connect it to the computer. Simply copy the books to the Kindle documents folder with the explorer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quelch View Post

Will this method load eBooks onto the Kindle 3 eReader or is it a little different ?
Exact same method.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 01:27 PM   #5
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Using Calibre just to copy books is overkill, since the Kindle 3 will show up as an USB drive if you connect it to the computer. Simply copy the books to the Kindle documents folder with the explorer.
Thanks everyone

Most of the eBooks the club member has available are ePub, I need to show him how to convert them to mobi using Calibre, the club member is elderly so small steps

In a couple of weeks I'll show him how to download eBooks from Amazon using 3G

After you've all explained to me how to do it
Advert
Old 03-16-2012, 06:08 PM   #6
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

Most of the eBooks the club member has available are ePub, I need to show him how to convert them to mobi using Calibre, the club member is elderly so small steps
You may need to teach him how to strip DRM as well. DRMd epubs cannot be converted without stripping.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 07:35 PM   #7
Quelch
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
You may need to teach him how to strip DRM as well. DRMd epubs cannot be converted without stripping.
That's something I've never done, so I'll need a little tuition first
Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #8
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
Quote:
That's something I've never done, so I'll need a little tuition first
You wont get help here for stripping DRM, but Google may turn something up if you search for "Apprentice Alf"
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Quelch
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
You wont get help here for stripping DRM, but Google may turn something up if you search for "Apprentice Alf"
Thanks for that but this is a seniors computer club so I won't be teaching them anything that may be in a 'grey' area !
Old 03-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #10
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Loading eBooks on the Kindle 3 with Calibre

Quote:
Thanks everyone

In a couple of weeks I'll show him how to download eBooks from Amazon using 3G

After you've all explained to me how to do it
You don't have to convert the EPUB beforehand because when the computer is connected to a Kindle and you tell Calibre to 'send to device' it'll ask permission to convert the file before sending it (since Calibre is smart enough to detect that it's an EPUB and knows that it needs to be a MOBI).
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:35 PM   #11
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You don't have to use Calibre to send books to the Kindle, though. If they are already in a format that the Kindle can read. I never use Calibre to send books to my Kindle, only for the occasional conversion. Just drag and drop books into the "documents" folder of the Kindle.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks for that but this is a seniors computer club so I won't be teaching them anything that may be in a 'grey' area !
I don't think the black helicopters are coming for granny. Heck, she won't even have to take off her shoes in the airport anymore.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
Quelch
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I don't think the black helicopters are coming for granny. Heck, she won't even have to take off her shoes in the airport anymore.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #14
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
Calibre works fine with Kindle. The method you describe should work in the same way for all devices supported by Calibre.

...well, except for Apple devices.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #15
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...well, except for Apple devices.
I've used Calibre to transfer books to my iPad without any difficulties.