Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2017, 06:53 AM   #76
pluma
Enthusiast
pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kido.resuri View Post
The above is just the creation of the table. You need to INSERT or UPDATE.

Why would you keep the email address while the others are empty?

Anyhow, you would need an sqlite query something like this:

INSERT INTO "user" VALUES('','','','put.your@email.here','','','','', '','','','','','','','');

Yes do know is the original fields, the thing is that I did the inserting by trial and error so I pasted the original table for help. I am not a sqlite haxxor, I only copy paste :/

Quote:
Any reason for using 3.20? I can think of a lot of reasons for not using it, but none for choosing it specifically.
That's the recovery firmware version after hard reset. I updated afterwards.

danke for your concerns
pluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:05 AM   #77
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if it would be more release independent to use the other form of the INSERT statement, ie

INSERT INTO "user" (<list of columns>) VALUES(<list of values>)

This has the benefit of being independent of schema changes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2017, 03:17 PM   #78
dragon788
dragon788 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glod HD
As the number of columns and their names may change over time as probably noted in this thread, it is a bit of a pain to do the registration "hack" to fill them all out.

While looking to do this from my Linux machine I installed `sqliteman` as its description offered a GUI for administrating and developing for SQLite databases.

EDIT: Use method outlined further down
One of the features I hadn't counted on was being able to right click on the "users" table and choose "populate" from the list and having the tool automatically craft a query to insert data to fill all the columns. I didn't have to modify anything and could just click "Insert" and after ejecting and unplugging (I chose register with desktop to start), it complained about the data format, but bypassed the registration screen and put me at the "Home" screen.

I may play around with it a bit and see if not choosing "autonumber" for the user column avoids the error, but this is probably the easiest way to describe to a non-technical user without creating a data map that might get outdated with every update.

EDIT:

Upon further testing having random data in all the fields was bad, but adding a new row defaults everything to <null> and then only editing the first two fields that have "NOT NULL" constraints, iirc UserName and UserKey, and "committing" the changes (you get prompted to do so if you just attempt to close sqliteman with changes) resolved the error after I unmounted and unplugged and didn't require any further messing around with the database.

Last edited by dragon788; 09-15-2017 at 06:43 PM. Reason: Found a better way
dragon788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:38 PM   #79
u238110
Connoisseur
u238110 began at the beginning.

Device: Aura, N514KUBKKEP, 4.7.10.413
This is the 'user' table for the Kobo I just bought (firmware 4.7.10.413). Should anything be left alone to prevent messing up the device? Also, the fourth post in this thread states that one also needs to downgrade to firmware 1.9.16 in order for this hack to work. Is that true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The new firmware will not accept new books until it's registered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	47665.png
Views:	1127
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	162078  

Last edited by u238110; 02-06-2018 at 04:09 PM.
u238110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:56 PM   #80
_twoflower_
_twoflower_ began at the beginning.

Device: none
Has anybody had success doing this with a Libra? Got to the homepage successfully after editing KoboReader.sqlite users, but can't view the My Books page.
_twoflower_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2022, 12:53 PM   #81
anonymouscoward
anonymouscoward began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hi,

On my brand new Kobo Libra 2 (4.31.xx) :
- UserID : 1
- UserKey : My first name
- AnnotationsMigrated : true (or 1)
- Everything else : default (null, true/false, ...)

Without AnnotationsMigrated=true a damn nag screen appears.
anonymouscoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #82
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Just turn on WiFi once.
Register with any imaginary or real email. Kobo doesn't send you email (unless you use their bookshop) nor do they pass on the email address.

Tested with five Kobos since 2017.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 02:07 PM   #83
anonymouscoward
anonymouscoward began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Just turn on WiFi once.
Register with any imaginary or real email. Kobo doesn't send you email (unless you use their bookshop) nor do they pass on the email address.

Tested with five Kobos since 2017.
I had to use this SQL workaround because of a really annoying bug : impossible to connect with my Google account. Each time he asked me to log in with my FNAC.com account, a site on which I connect with...... my Google account.
Same when I tried to create a Kobo account.

Anyway, I didn't know about your technique, and finally that's what made me want to tinker this reader.

So :
- The user friendly technique: activate the wifi and create an account with a fake email,
- The technique for tinkerers: modify directly the database of the reader.
anonymouscoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:22 AM   #84
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscoward View Post
So :
- The user friendly technique: activate the wifi and create an account with a fake email,
- The technique for tinkerers: modify directly the database of the reader.
Or a real one. I used real ones created for the purpose. No spam or emails from Kobo on them ever. The email address only matters if you use the Kobo online bookstore to buy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 12:34 PM   #85
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
You don't have to include every field.. only 2 of them are needed. This SQL command has worked for a very, very long time.

INSERT INTO user(UserID,UserKey) VALUES('1','');

If using Sqlite:

sqlite3 KoboReader.sqlite "INSERT INTO user(UserID,UserKey) VALUES('1','');"

But the easy way to do this, without connecting to wifi, and without using SQL commands, is to simply copy a blank database into the .kobo directory. I've attached one to this message, unzip and copy to your kobo, then reboot.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KoboReader.sqlite.zip (14.6 KB, 403 views)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote