Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
newfcollins
newfcollins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Original
Kobo ereader is frozen

Hi all,

I have a Kobo (not a touch, but an original one, not sure of the specific name, but I think it's called Original). I've had it for about a year and never had any problems until now.

This morning, it froze on me. I go to turn it on, and I get the main screen that says "kobo eReading: anytime. anyplace." But it won't leave that screen.

I've tried holding down the power button for 10 seconds to restart it, and it didn't work. I tried plugging it into the computer, and it doesn't work (the computer doesn't recognize that it is plugged in either). And I tried the paper clip in the small hole in the back, and it didn't work. It won't leave that main screen.

I can't do a factory reset, because it won't leave that main screen.

Any suggestions? I've had it for a year, and I really do not want to
buy a new one.

Thanks for the help.
newfcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Any chance ther battery is dead? Just try leaving it plugged in via USB for a few hours to give the battery a chance to charge.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #3
Molyneaux
Molyneaux began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo original
I have just contacted the Kobo help line and have been told that the warranty for the product has expired and therefore there is nothing that can be done other than to purchase a refurbished product at Walmart or Best Buy! This product has seen limited use and after checking with several other forums it appears I too own a lovely paperweight! Will NOT sink more money into product and will be back to purchasing books....VERY DISAPPOINTED!
Molyneaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Have you tried getting the kobo OS flashed with an SD card at chapters/Indigo (you don't say where you are located). I've read on the "getsatisfaction/kobo" website that users were able to correct problems with frozen readers by doing that.
Or have you tried posting your problem on this site ( https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topics/) along with a ticket number obtained here ( https://kobo.zendesk.com/mobile/home)?
It appears that might be more effective than calling....
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:54 AM   #5
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molyneaux View Post
I have just contacted the Kobo help line and have been told that the warranty for the product has expired and therefore there is nothing that can be done other than to purchase a refurbished product at Walmart or Best Buy! This product has seen limited use and after checking with several other forums it appears I too own a lovely paperweight! Will NOT sink more money into product and will be back to purchasing books....VERY DISAPPOINTED!
If the paperclip reset hasn't worked, you can FORCE a factory reset by holding a combination of buttons. Maybe someone can clarify which buttons because I don't remember, it might be middle D-pad button and power button, or home and power.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
It looks like you hold down the home button, and then the power button until it starts the reset.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 01:30 AM   #7
Molyneaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Have you tried getting the kobo OS flashed with an SD card at chapters/Indigo (you don't say where you are located). I've read on the "getsatisfaction/kobo" website that users were able to correct problems with frozen readers by doing that.
Or have you tried posting your problem on this site ( https://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topics/) along with a ticket number obtained here ( https://kobo.zendesk.com/mobile/home)?
It appears that might be more effective than calling....
I will give this a try!
Old 07-06-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Molyneaux

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
It looks like you hold down the home button, and then the power button until it starts the reset.
Unfortunately this didn't work