Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-08-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Sneddles
Sneddles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard
Ebook Viewer damages epub files?

The Ebook Viewer writes a text file (META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt) into epub files but the archive appears damaged as trying to delete the file with WinZip results in a message: "Error: Unexpected end of Zip file".

The epub file was originally created using a Java program I'm creating to cleanup badly formatted epub files. I was confused as to where this bookmarks file was coming from, so I was deleting it to try and work out where it came from.

To confuse the situation, using WinZip I can extract all of the files from the modified archive without any errors.

If I delete the bookmarks file, re-archive the files with WinZip, and then view the new epub file with the Ebook Viewer I can then delete the bookmarks file without the error.

It isn't a major problem and I have no idea where the problem might lie, but I thought it was worth reporting.
Sneddles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:22 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneddles View Post
The Ebook Viewer writes a text file (META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt) into epub files but the archive appears damaged as trying to delete the file with WinZip results in a message: "Error: Unexpected end of Zip file".

The epub file was originally created using a Java program I'm creating to cleanup badly formatted epub files. I was confused as to where this bookmarks file was coming from, so I was deleting it to try and work out where it came from.

To confuse the situation, using WinZip I can extract all of the files from the modified archive without any errors.

If I delete the bookmarks file, re-archive the files with WinZip, and then view the new epub file with the Ebook Viewer I can then delete the bookmarks file without the error.

It isn't a major problem and I have no idea where the problem might lie, but I thought it was worth reporting.
Don't use Winzip for this. Use Tweak (Select Book, tap the T key. then explode, fix and REBUILD) that assembles the EPUB correctly
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The Ebook Viewer writes a text file (META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt) into epub files
If you like, you can turn off writing a bookmark file when exiting the viewer. Find this setting in Viewer Preferences - Misc options.

Quote:
but the archive appears damaged as trying to delete the file with WinZip results in a message: "Error: Unexpected end of Zip file"
The archive isn't damaged by calibre's viewer. Make sure the epub isn't opened by any other program when viewing.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:11 AM   #4
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Without hijacking the thread is there a way to remove all the bookmark files from your books? Plugin?
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:28 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadiseLost View Post
Without hijacking the thread is there a way to remove all the bookmark files from your books? Plugin?
You can use the Modify ePub plugin to accomplish this feat.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
ParadiseLost
Enthusiast
ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.ParadiseLost can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Thanks DoctorOhh.
ParadiseLost is offline   Reply With Quote