Notices

Old 05-29-2007, 08:39 AM   #1
maxvoltar
SR-Noob
maxvoltar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
RTF-Files, but then WITH images...

Hey all!

Just received my Sony Reader, and I couldn't be more happy with it!
Tested a couple of RTF-files and they look awsome! Even resizing works like a charm!

Then I tried PDF... It's a pure horror story!

I'm a Mac user and I'll be using the Reader for 2 things:
  1. Reading PDF-files, books or manuals
  2. Reading long blogposts (prefferable in RTF)

Now, the problem with RTF is the lack of images. Wich is to bad, because when you save a file as RTFD, it formats great!

My question comes down to this: Is there a I-don't-have-to-go-through-20-steps way to get flexible files, with images, on a Mac?

The same for PDF's I already have. Any one-click-go ways of doing this?

Thanks a lot!

- Tim
maxvoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:32 AM   #2
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
The Sony PRS-500 can't display images in RTF files (no links either in RTF).

For long blogposts, you should transform the full RSS Feed into PDF or LRF using one of the software available for this (or Feedbooks can do this online for you). You could also transform the HTML of the webpage into LRF using HTML2LRF.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2007, 09:50 AM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you browse the forums, you'll also find some programs that people have been using for better viewing of pdf files on the Reader by reformatting them first. While the screen is small (so there are always going to be some limitations), these programs seem to help a lot.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
maxvoltar
SR-Noob

Thanks for the information. I'll try to search through the forums a bit more, but the searchfunction doesn't allow searching for "mac" (string too short :-))

I have another problem: I had a pdf with wide margins, and tried cropping it with Adobe Acrobat Professional. After saving the file it looks great on my computer (no margins, large font), but the Sony Reader displays the original view... A bug? A noob? :-)
Old 05-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #5
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I don't know if you can run a Windows program on your Mac, but Serif's PagePlus X2 (The 12th major upgrade to it.) can take a PDF document, open it and then let you edit the hell out of it - including resizing the page, changing the margins, text, font and paragraph layout. It runs about $99 new. That's at www.serif.com.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
maxvoltar
SR-Noob

Ok, after 2 hours playing with my SR, I can provide Mac-users with the following tip for easily converting rtf-files with images to pdf:
  1. Copy the text you want from Safari (copying in FireFox doesn't preserve the formatting) to a new Texteditor-file.
  2. Press Command + A to select the entire document (including images)
  3. Press Command + "+" like 20 times (or more, depending on the font-size you want)
  4. Press Command + P
  5. Select PDF > Export to PDF and save the file

This gives you an easy to read pdf-file WITH all your beloved images :-)

Now I only need to find an easy way to reformat existing PDF's...
Old 05-29-2007, 11:49 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvoltar
Thanks for the information. I'll try to search through the forums a bit more, but the searchfunction doesn't allow searching for "mac" (string too short :-))

I have another problem: I had a pdf with wide margins, and tried cropping it with Adobe Acrobat Professional. After saving the file it looks great on my computer (no margins, large font), but the Sony Reader displays the original view... A bug? A noob? :-)
Not a bug, a feature.

Once you crop pages you have to reprint the file to another PDF either through PDF Printer or Distiller.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:58 AM   #8
maxvoltar
SR-Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Not a bug, a feature.

Once you crop pages you have to reprint the file to another PDF either through PDF Printer or Distiller.
Ooh... Thanks! :-)
Too bad not all PDF's are as easy to re-format as Getting Real (Awsome book BTW)
Old 06-02-2007, 05:10 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxvoltar
Hey all!

Just received my Sony Reader, and I couldn't be more happy with it!
Tested a couple of RTF-files and they look awsome! Even resizing works like a charm!

Then I tried PDF... It's a pure horror story!

I'm a Mac user and I'll be using the Reader for 2 things:
  1. Reading PDF-files, books or manuals
  2. Reading long blogposts (prefferable in RTF)

Now, the problem with RTF is the lack of images. Wich is to bad, because when you save a file as RTFD, it formats great!

My question comes down to this: Is there a I-don't-have-to-go-through-20-steps way to get flexible files, with images, on a Mac?

The same for PDF's I already have. Any one-click-go ways of doing this?

Thanks a lot!

- Tim
Convert the RTF file with the images into HTML and use your favorite HTML editor to do any cleaning up. Then install Libprs500 and use html2lrf to convert the html to LRF and you'll have a proper LRF file with images. Go check out the Sony forum section here and you'll see all about Libprs500. Plus, you can get a lot better support for your Sony Reader in the Sony Reader forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote