Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #91
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
If your nook color is rooted, I recommend trying the new soft buttons (helps with apps that are fullscreen without the options bar). Go here to find the link to the thread:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=861902
Caution: Someone just reported that they may have lost a working "return to book" button.

If you installed these new soft buttons does your "return to book" button still work?

Update: The person uninstalled the softkeys and re-installed newer version. The "return to book" button is working again.

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 09:07 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #92
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Device: Nook Color, White 3G K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Well, I finally gave in to you guys. I'm rooted. Did it on a Mac.
Ok, I've had a few drinks tonight and want to root my NC .

I'm on a Mac as well......may I ask what link you used for instructions? Thanks!
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 10:27 PM   #93
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Ok, I've had a few drinks tonight and want to root my NC .

I'm on a Mac as well......may I ask what link you used for instructions? Thanks!
Alright!!!

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Rooting

I didn't stumble over anything. Instructions are well laid out (IMO).

Oh, I never used the terminal app so when I had to run as root I didn't realize the password requested is not the one I use to login to my machine.

I had to assign a password to run as root:

sudo passwd root

To proceed, enter your password (Mac password), or type Ctrl-C to abort.

Password:
Changing password for root.
New password:
Retype new password:

You may know all this already. Just spelling it out for others.

Last edited by SCION; 12-05-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #94
SCION
Séduisant

The New York Times

Just wanted to say that the NY Times app is fabulous!!!

Wow...for those who enjoy this paper and access it another way (perhaps calibre or B&N subscription) this is the way to go.

I was getting my feed from calibre instead of paying for the B&N subscription. The formatting is great, the images look good, and I was content. It was a drag to have to remember to manually place the paper on the NOOKcolor in the "Newspaper" section. Then having to delete read papers using a computer.

You get many more "Sections" compared to the B&N subscription. There's a "Latest Video" section as well. The videos work!

In order to go from article to article you swipe to the left with your finger (same concept as turning the pages of a newspaper).

Use the back arrow to go back to "Section" view.

Last edited by SCION; 12-06-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:41 PM   #95
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by discourse View Post
I found a video of the rooted NC running the Android Kindle app here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEIsOGB8s3U for those who are interested.
It would be the best of both worlds if I could run this without having to root it.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 PM   #96
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
It would be the best of both worlds if I could run this without having to root it.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:19 PM   #97
coolbreeze
Addict
coolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with otherscoolbreeze plays well with others

Ok, I'm already having trouble with the first step.

I'm here:

Here, the instructions where I create an image on the microSD on OSX

I'm stuck at step #4. I have no idea what to type. Tried "dd nooter_sdcard_40mb.img of=/dev/disk2" and it did nothing.

Help.
Old 12-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #98
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Ok, I'm already having trouble with the first step.

I'm here:

Here, the instructions where I create an image on the microSD on OSX

I'm stuck at step #4. I have no idea what to type. Tried "dd nooter_sdcard_40mb.img of=/dev/disk2" and it did nothing.

Help.
Did you do this successfully?

3.) Unmount the disk where “N” is the number of the disk taken from the above command:

diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN

If the above command was successful, you will see:

Unmount of all volumes on diskN was successful
Old 12-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #99
SCION
Séduisant

You have to do this:

dd if=nooter_sdcard_40mb.img of=/dev/disk2

/dev/disk2 pertains to my machine, yours may be different

from the same directory as where the nooter file is that you downloaded. The nooter0.2.zip unzipped

Last edited by SCION; 12-06-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:16 AM   #100
coolbreeze
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You have to do this:

dd if=nooter_sdcard_40mb.img of=/dev/disk2

/dev/disk2 pertains to my machine, yours may be different

from the same directory as where the nooter file is that you downloaded. The nooter0.2.zip unzipped
Thanks. I moved the nooter_sdcard_40bm.img file from the downloads folder and placed it directly on my desktop.

See attachment.

Is this right? (I promise I'm sharp. I've rooted Android phones, etc, in the past...for some reason this is challenging...).

Thanks.

EDIT: moved it back to the downloads folder (the nooter.img file).

Here is what terminal says (attachment 2)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nooter.png
Views:	416
Size:	873.9 KB
ID:	62398   Click image for larger version

Name:	root.png
Views:	400
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	62399  

Last edited by coolbreeze; 12-06-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 AM   #101
Rebo
Groupie
Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rebo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook, nook color, kindle 3, Ipad 2nd gen, Nook HD+, Iphone 4S
I was in B&N store today and "read in store" for a couple of hours, browsing through the New Releases. I really hate to lose this feature after rooting. I don't play "angry birds" or use "kindle" anyway. A faster and more responsive web browser would be nice though. There is one guy from Xda-developer claimed he loses the "read in store' after his NC is rooted while another guy said he still has the feature in his rooted NC. It seems the response is very uncertain. I'm hoping someone from the mobileread forum can confirm it either way.

It is also interesting that another user said his NC received a random OTA firmware update from B&N and wiped out all the roots and the side loaded apps. Afterwards, the nooter doesn't work anymore. If this is true, it seems B&N is trying to patch the hole to deter rooting on the NC.
Rebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 AM   #102
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Thanks. I moved the nooter_sdcard_40bm.img file from the downloads folder and placed it directly on my desktop.

See attachment.

Is this right? (I promise I'm sharp. I've rooted Android phones, etc, in the past...for some reason this is challenging...).

Thanks.

EDIT: moved it back to the downloads folder (the nooter.img file).

Here is what terminal says (attachment 2)
You need to find out what your PWD is (present working directory).

type in pwd at the prompt

Whatever directory is displayed make sure the nooter folder is there.

Or you can change directory path to go to the location of the nooter folder.

You can work out of the downloads folder if you want. That's what I did. Just change directory path to it. Or move the nooter folder to your PWD.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 AM   #103
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
It is also interesting that another user said his NC received a random OTA firmware update from B&N and wiped out all the roots and the side loaded apps. Afterwards, the nooter doesn't work anymore. If this is true, it seems B&N is trying to patch the hole to deter rooting on the NC.
I don't know how true that is. Something like that would effect everyone who rooted.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 AM   #104
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebo View Post
I was in B&N store today and "read in store" for a couple of hours, browsing through the New Releases. I really hate to lose this feature after rooting. I don't play "angry birds" or use "kindle" anyway. A faster and more responsive web browser would be nice though. There is one guy from Xda-developer claimed he loses the "read in store' after his NC is rooted while another guy said he still has the feature in his rooted NC. It seems the response is very uncertain. I'm hoping someone from the mobileread forum can confirm it either way.
Yes, I've read that "Read in Store" was not working. I can't confirm this yet.

It's a personal decision to root or not. The question is what do you hope to gain from rooting? What apps would be of most value to you?
Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #105
coolbreeze
Addict

Alright. I give up. It simply won't find the nooter file to copy to the microSD.

"no such file or directory" over and over, regardless if the nooter.img file is on my desktop or in downloads.

EDIT: Neeeevermind. I re-visited the pwd advice, and figured it out. So far...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	415
Size:	854.0 KB
ID:	62400  

Last edited by coolbreeze; 12-06-2010 at 01:15 AM.