Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
NewDay
Connoisseur
NewDay doesn't litterNewDay doesn't litter

Device: iPad
CS5 Crash

Anybody have this happen? Constructing a book in InDesign CS5, bringing in edited text (chapter by chapter) from Word 11 for Mac using c/p. CS5 crashed upon my trying to paste, would not relaunch. Had to finally do a shutdown to regain use of CS5. Bug? Or operator error?
NewDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
NewDay
Connoisseur

The follow-up story: Subsequent attempts to c/p from Word 11 into CS5 resulted in repeated crashes. So to eliminate c/p as the problem, I split the Word doc into parts, then did a Place of each part, which worked fine for parts one and three, but part two showed only a partial placement. After a couple of rounds of this, I finally noticed that it was balking at the same spot.

So I opened the Word part that wouldn't completely place, and examined the spot where it was hanging up in CS5. Seems the author had tried to do some fancy formatting without understanding the Style function; he had applied his formatting locally, so it looked OK visually, but digitally it was a mess, and that's what CS5 was objecting to.

I overrode his local formatting, conformed the Style back to Normal, and it placed just fine in InDesign.

So book designers, beware of authors who present Word docs that try to emulate the look of a finished book. Unless they really, truly know what they're doing with Styles, it can cause you grief electronically. From now on, I'm going to begin every author's ms with a Select All and conform everything to Normal. Then as I apply Styles in InDesign, I'll know they're digitally clean.

(Interestingly, on two separate occasions I submitted crash reports on this to Adobe and to Apple. Absolutely no feedback from either end.)
Advert
Old 11-19-2010, 01:09 AM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
If your crash report was clicking the button that said DO YOU WANT TO SEND A REPORT then don't expect a reply.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #4
NewDay
Connoisseur

Thanks for the response, wannabe. You are right, of course. My frustration was speaking. Nevertheless, bottom line I want to convey is, if CS5 crashes on you when you try to import from Word, take a look at how Styles are used in Word at the spot where the data refused to import and the program crashed. Most authors are blithely unaware of the Styles function; they will style something locally to look the way they want to convey to you that they would like it to appear in the finished book, but this can end up being digitally toxic. Seek ye the toxic data first, or better yet, override their local formatting before you c/p or Place in CS5.