Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #256
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
True on the Warranty.

Although, I'm probably going to get a SmartTV soon, so that will basically eliminate the need for the Roku.

BOb
Yep, my Vizio .. now almost three years old ... has apps that do most of what that Roku would do ... but not the earphones.

The Laptop/DVR is for recording over the air and playing movies/internet etc.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:06 PM   #257
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If and/or when Amazon Video and TWiT TV come to the Chromecast, I'll no longer need the Roku. I prefer not to cast from my laptops.

Last edited by daffy4u; 12-11-2013 at 01:15 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 10:47 PM   #258
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I don't know anyone personally who is using it. It's not in our market yet.

I could maybe see it if I lived somewhere where I couldn't have an outside antenna and an indoor one didn't pick up enough channels, or maybe in a fringe area where reception is just bad. Outside of that, I struggle to see a use for it.

Well, I'm using it :-)

Better than Antenna, as it's HD and you can even use it on your iPhone or iPad whoe not at home.

I may drop Cable next month if I can stream it without interruptions or with good quality.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #259
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
My wife and I were just discussing this very issue. We're going to drop our cable to the absolute bare bones, bump up our internet speed, and continue to subscribe to Netflix/Hulu Plus. I don't watch tv so she's the only one who does; we're paying $120 a month for cable/internet so even if we could save half it would add up quickly.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 12:29 AM   #260
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
My wife and I were just discussing this very issue. We're going to drop our cable to the absolute bare bones, bump up our internet speed, and continue to subscribe to Netflix/Hulu Plus. I don't watch tv so she's the only one who does; we're paying $120 a month for cable/internet so even if we could save half it would add up quickly.
The way Verizon does the bundling with FiOS these days, getting TV bundled is only about $10 more than Internet/Phone only would be. This is why I have the TV service now.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 12-12-2013 at 11:13 AM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2013, 04:15 AM   #261
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
No cable TV here. My wife has Hulu and Netflix (which I use very occasionally) and I've got a good amplified antenna in the attic for local news and the occasional local program.
cromag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #262
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cutting the Cable TV

Well ... here we go again :-)

I cut the cable, officially. This is the 2nd attempt. 1st one wife complained because we had no live TV. This time, we have Aereo which I think will make a difference. Aereo allows us to stream live national TV with the advantage of enjoying that on mobile devices, not only when at home.

I am keeping Comcast Blast high speed internet plus Netflix, plus Amazon prime.

Last edited by jocampo; 12-15-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:38 AM   #263
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
Well ... here we go again :-)

I cut the cable, officially. This is the 2nd attempt. 1st one wife complained because we had no love TV. This time, we have Aereo which I think will make a difference. Aereo allows us to stream live national TV with the advantage of enjoying that on mobile devices, not only when at home.

I am keeping Comcast Blast high speed internet plus Netflix, plus Amazon prime.
So, what does Aero cost? How much can you store? I do have an Antenna... but I think the version of TiVo I have doesn't have a OTA tunner.

BOb
Old 12-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #264
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
So, what does Aero cost? How much can you store?
Here you go...
http://support.aereo.com/customer/po...es-aereo-cost-
Quote:
Our basic monthly membership is just $8 a month, plus tax. That gets you 20 hours of DVR space to record your shows. Or, for $4 more, you can upgrade to 60 hours of DVR space and the ability to record two shows at once.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 AM   #265
jocampo
Layback feline

Yeah, I paid around 8 bucks. I have the option to record shows but honestly, haven't tried that yet, so not sure about space and limitations.

All I know is I can only stream at one device at the time. For example, if I'm watching CBS news via Roku, I can't watch or use Aereo on my iPad, it will stop my TV streaming.

I have Comcast Blast which is 50mbps ( I'm getting around 65 , lol, thanks to my new Motorola Cable modem, I returned that POS leased Modem Xfinity gave me) and it's more than enough for Aereo and Netflix.

Aereo streams on HD quality , unless Internet speed goes down then it automatically adjusts itself.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #266
jocampo
Layback feline

I recorded couple of programs and so far so good.

As stated online, with basic plan, I have 20 hours of space. And I do believe I can't record two different programs at same time.

Also, the streaming quality has been really good. HD most of the time. My Roku is wired though , so I guess that helps, plus having a good Internet plan.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:38 PM   #267
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
HBO will start offering web only subscriptions next year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...-BB9eXLe?pfr=1
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:28 AM   #268
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
HBO will start offering web only subscriptions next year.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/compa...-BB9eXLe?pfr=1
And CBS has started their web streaming offering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/bu...vice.html?_r=0

I tried to sign up for the 1 week free trial and could not complete the process (problems with button clicks not working on my PC or tablet).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 12:48 AM   #269
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
And CBS has started their web streaming offering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/17/bu...vice.html?_r=0

I tried to sign up for the 1 week free trial and could not complete the process (problems with button clicks not working on my PC or tablet).
Yea, $6/mo and you get to watch the commercials. No thanks!
Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #270
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Yea, $6/mo and you get to watch the commercials. No thanks!
Yeah....sorta like the on-line music services: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=35
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote