Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-29-2011, 04:02 PM   #616
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle3, DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofday View Post
To FethryDuck:
I have just read your post on the Duokan forum,http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-11141-1-1.html.On most forums in my country,the comments would be examine before show.That is why you find your posts doesn't appear immediately.
Thanks - so it is a sort of censorship then ? ( well, who knows what may occur without some control )

Well, it turned out to be extremely difficult to communicate. It included some informal things regarding characters and language. I have become very confused - as I somehow expected the characters to resemble something, picture something, or somehow hold a sort of logic. Guess an intro ABC type of book, Chinese->English could have been something. I hope they get the Unicode-base working, so Stardict can be used. It could be a nice travellers companion. Duokan could probably get some sponsors from the travel agencies ?
FethryDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:04 PM   #617
FethryDuck
Addict
FethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enoughFethryDuck will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Why can't I post comments using Opera?
No idea. Perhaps Opera need to know the path and install of Java ?
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #618
jaxsnop
Enthusiast
jaxsnop began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
New update of Duokan:

Release notes for Duokan released on 2011/04/02, translated from chinese by google:

The restoration of the Bug:
1. Modified the power display the wrong question. (Advise friends: yu7008)
2. Fixed time after the upgrade do not see the problem of world view. (Friends advice: tuzr, Knotting song, billwood, kiki_abai, wangdakuan)
3. Fixed crash using the search function will lead to problems. (Advise friends: kiki_abai, cocona)
4. Fixed can not add comments to PDF format document the problem. (Advise friends: blackat)
5. Repair share in the millet in the search, the system will re-boot. (Advise friends: aldge)
6. Fixes the ePub format, little word document problem.
7. Fixed hyperlink ePub formatted documents crash problem.
8. Fixed PDF format document intelligent layout crash problem.
9. Fixed PDF format document changes to the English font crash problem.
10. Fixed a big zip file open crash problem.
11. Fixed open the sub-volume compression, the lack of any of the files crash problem.
jaxsnop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #619
FethryDuck
Addict

0.5.13.8909 Beta0402

You find the download link here:

http://dl.dbank.com/c061q96h6d

"jaxsnop" included Features and bugs-fixes above. In fact, it is mostly bug-fixes.

There is one area we have not said much about, as it would need some Chinese reading fellow to explain, but there has been several changes in the bookstores over a longer time. A new search function seem to have been implemented that may come up with some errors.

Anyway, here is some challenge: - write a short tour-guide or something regarding the bookstores. How does it work, or what is the future of it. ( you know - from zero insight to some insight, you have pretty free hands to lecture us a bit )

Somewhere I read that some popular books was more like an ongoing weekly story that evolved. ( I probably did not understand it, but I understood it like some difference compared to the western markets ? )
Old 04-06-2011, 02:45 AM   #620
darkofday
Enthusiast
darkofday began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3
Hi,I'm back
To FethryDuck:
...eh..I don't understand this sentence "Somewhere I read that some popular books was more like an ongoing weekly story that evolved. ",language problem.
about the bookstore,I don't think it is possible to use bookstore in duokan by Western users.The bookstore is just a localized market for Chinese users,I hasn't found much English neither other languages books.
About the opensource issue,I have found several topics talking about the possiblity of Duokan's opensource plan on their offical forum.
see here:http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-11908-1-1.html
http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-4801-1-1.html
In these topics,people are arguing Should the Duokan opensource.Most people doesn't support to opensource with the same concern as mine(has talked about),many people(include me) insist that Duokan should be opensource if it is restricted by GPL etc..
see here:http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-9314-1-1.html
the leader of Duokan team reply that they doesn't has the plan to opensource in a short term but will to take it into account gradully in the future.
darkofday is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2011, 02:56 AM   #621
darkofday
Enthusiast

I can't find the reply which I have just post...This is the second time happened.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:28 AM   #622
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
I can't find the reply which I have just post...This is the second time happened.
Once in a while, there are some instabilities - it is really a downer if you have written more then just a couple of lines ! You have my empathy
Old 04-06-2011, 08:20 PM   #623
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
...eh..I don't understand this sentence "Somewhere I read that some popular books was more like an ongoing weekly story that evolved. ",language problem.
I have a problem to understand it too - there were some Chinese girls that explain something once, but I may not have understood it correctly. I had the impression it was a kind of soap opera, some feed you signed up. Not sure what it was, but they said it had become popular in China ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkofday
about the bookstore,I don't think it is possible to use bookstore in duokan by Western users.The bookstore is just a localized market for Chinese users,I hasn't found much English neither other languages books.
Is it ordinary bookstores where you buy these books ? Do they have an account, etc. ?
I have not had time to look into it, but you can set up Calibre on a local network and it would be nice to be able to set up your own "store". But as it is now, perhaps an entry could be for some test pages and some info of the current release, etc.

Quote:
About the opensource issue,I have found several topics talking about the possiblity of Duokan's opensource plan on their offical forum.
see here:http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-11908-1-1.html
http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-4801-1-1.html
In these topics,people are arguing Should the Duokan opensource.Most people doesn't support to opensource with the same concern as mine(has talked about),many people(include me) insist that Duokan should be opensource if it is restricted by GPL etc..
see here:http://www.duokan.com/forum/thread-9314-1-1.html
the leader of Duokan team reply that they doesn't has the plan to opensource in a short term but will to take it into account gradully in the future.
I am trying to google-translate and grasp some of the input, but - it is hard to follow.
I may add some personal views about the issue a bit later.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:29 AM   #624
darkofday
Enthusiast

Haha~I think I have understood what you had said "there were some Chinese girls that explain something once, but I may not have understood it correctly. I had the impression it was a kind of soap opera, some feed you signed up."
Yeah,there is kind of books in China which very similiar with soap opera.It's a very interesting phenomenon.eh...It's time to go to class for me now.I will introduce what is this kind of books like later.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:23 PM   #625
FethryDuck
Addict

Open Source

Duokan and Open Source:

Quote:
"the leader of Duokan team reply that they doesn't has the plan to opensource in a short term but will to take it into account gradully in the future."

I don't think they have much choice, and it would be the most sensible thing to do. This is because there are several licenses/patents. Amazon is paying a fee for the use of some of it.

What is meant by "future" becomes an interesting issue. I can very well understand some of the concerns, if how to keep a common goal/standard/vision, etc. But google is not good enough to give me a correct understanding of what is actually said in the discussion.

The anti-trust laws may worry Amazon and others. There is no way anyone will accept the kind of domination in the book-market, like some of this technology might cause. This is a good reason for accepting some openness for other code to run, while not just any code. I tend to believe Open Source have a place in the market. In this particular case, the value of making electronic documents and books readable in many languages, is such a unique opportunity.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #626
FethryDuck
Addict

New Release

Version: 0.5.13.8914 Beta0408 version
Suitable models: kindle2, kindle3, kindleDX, kindleDXG
File size: 39.36MB
Updated: 2011.4.9

Download release:
http://dl.dbank.com/c0e2kfz6xt

Description:

Bugs fixed:

1.CHM format can not save the last reading position.
( 提供意见的朋友: temp1125) - did not find where it was explained.
2. Only one song music player press a case of crashes.
( 提供意见的朋友: shadowl) said in forum:"Only one song music player press a case of crashes, open the case of music player music player interface and then press back to exit press the stop replay interface concert, this is not a bug before"
3. Pocket Shuyuan validation failure occurs after the re-entry into the network to download books, literature, click Back after a failed build deadlock.
4. The body of the plug usb crash probability.

--------------

Note: the Chinese was translated "friends for advice" which may be improved.
And I found that it refers to things reported in the forum pages.

Last edited by FethryDuck; 04-09-2011 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #627
FethryDuck
Addict

First impression:

No special news.

of the buglist:

1. this seem to have been fixed
2. ?
3. ?
4. ?

Still missing -

1. update_duokan_0xxxx.bin still not removed after install, which cause Amazon Update error during reboot.
2. dictionary still blocked. ( see Note at the bottom )
3. list all images from every other folder, like linkss, fbKindle, etc.
4. French letters in .txt format still missing

In order to avoid all the images in #3, remark these entries out in /DK_System/config.ini

#NewDocumentsPath=/mnt/base-us
#NewSDDocumentsPath=/mnt/base-us
#SDDocumentsPath=/mnt/base-us/documents
#SDPicturesPath=/mnt/base-us/pictures
#SDPath=/mnt/base-us/
( perhaps the 4 last may be superfluous, as there are no SD card, but have not checked this )

Note about dictionaries:

With only one dictionary, the result was that it did not work. Added 27 more dictionaries, and then it came to life. Just for fun, I add a screenshot ( duokan are sooo difficiult with me ! They try to force me to learn Chinese )

btw. they still break on the umblauts and other characters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110409063658.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	69695  

Last edited by FethryDuck; 04-09-2011 at 12:48 AM. Reason: update
Old 04-09-2011, 10:17 AM   #628
darkofday
Enthusiast

To FethryDuck:
"提供意见的朋友" means "friends who provide advices".
The "Chin-English" dictionary in your screenshot seems not a good one.The translation it provides is so bad.You can use Stardict dictionary files under Duokan.But you should unzip dictionary file and move .idx 、.ifo、.dict file to DK_System\system\dict (the .dict file is unziped from .dz file).I have no Stardict Chin-English dictionaries in my kindle,or I will give you an advice of Chin-English dictionary.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:50 AM   #629
darkofday
Enthusiast

Go on the issue "soap opera like books in China".This kind of books are called "Internet novels" or "net novels".As the name are called,they have close relationship with network.They initially appeared on some websites provide reading content and mostly provided through Internet.These books have strong charater such as serialized episodes(lasts very long time,3 years,for example),fictional content (such as knight-errant and magic story)(I mean the leading roles in the book often have amazing Kongfu or ability like a superman).They are a little similar to《Harry Potter》 ,but I don't think they are attractive to me as《Harry Potter》.Most of these books are soap opera and superficial(I think someone would be angry and argue with me if he/she hears me say so ).
Old 04-09-2011, 09:08 PM   #630
FethryDuck
Addict

Quote:
Go on the issue "soap opera like books in China".This kind of books are called "Internet novels" or "net novels".As the name are called,they have close relationship with network.They initially appeared on some websites provide reading content and mostly provided through Internet.These books have strong charater such as serialized episodes(lasts very long time,3 years,for example),fictional content (such as knight-errant and magic story)(I mean the leading roles in the book often have amazing Kongfu or ability like a superman).They are a little similar to《Harry Potter》 ,but I don't think they are attractive to me as《Harry Potter》.Most of these books are soap opera and superficial(I think someone would be angry and argue with me if he/she hears me say so ).
ok, it seem like I was right then ? ( but did not express it very well, and I was unsure ) Did chat a little with a Chinese girl, and I came to ask about some other that kept on with some bizarre writing/translation and had kept on with it for a year