Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
Buntington
Buntington began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
How to "sort by" in Kindle Store on the Kindle?

I just got the Kindle 3 (my first Kindle ever) today, and I'm trying to browse the Kindle Store on my Kindle device in order to look for free books. I want to change the area where it says "sort by bestselling" to sort by price so that I can actually find the free books and such. However, I can't get there! I have tried pressing every button on the Kindle and nothing lets me change the "sort by" option. For example, if I go to the Science Fiction section, just under the category (Science Fiction), it says, "11,143 Titles, Sorted by Bestselling." But there's no way to move the cursor to that section, and trying to press buttons (menu, right arrow, etc.) on the other category areas doesn't let you edit the sort by area. Does anyone know how to do this? I know I can browse with that option on the amazon.com webpage, but I'd really like to do it on the Kindle because I don't like bringing my computer with me everywhere.
Buntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:38 PM   #2
bmaxwell
bmaxwell began at the beginning.

I was looking for the same feature.

I called Amazon's Kindle support, and they told me that they are sorry, but that feature is not available on the Kindle.

I told them it's the very first feature I wanted when I was searching for my very first book to purchase on my brand new Kindle (my first Kindle).

I also told them that I paid extra for the Kindle that has both WiFi and 3G connectivity, just so I could search for new books on the Kindle device itself, and not have to use my computer (or have access to WiFi) to do searches!

I also told them that even my Android phone, with the Kindle app, can do all the different types of "sort by" browsing.

The guy on the phone said he would "give my feedback", and "maybe they will add it as a future feature". I also told him to tell them that I'm jumping up and down and that I cannot believe that they don't already have this feature!

So, I guess for now, I'll have to either purchase my books from my computer, or use my Android phone (with its limited battery life and limited screen).

Oh well. I can always hope they add the feature to the Kindle sometime soon.

Bill
bmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #3
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I am not sure about SORTING but you can try this link (I had converted it using one of those shrink url sites making it easier to type on the kindle itself):

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...sics&x=14&y=17

What's odd is that while most books show up in the ZERO price range, an occasional book shows up at some price higher than zero.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
you can use the regular wireless and input Amazon.com and the crash around until you get to the Kindle bookstore, set the sort to price and then bookmark the page.

Long way to do it, but it works.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Here's the link for Kindle books only. You can sort by price there.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?ur...rds=&x=18&y=21
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
oops.

Welcome to MobileRead, buntinton.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #7
bmaxwell
bmaxwell began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
you can use the regular wireless and input Amazon.com and the crash around until you get to the Kindle bookstore, set the sort to price and then bookmark the page.

Long way to do it, but it works.

cheers
Hi Leep,

I tried that -- it works, but it's pretty painful using the web browser on the Kindle. I guess if I don't have any other option, at least it works.

Thanks for the tip.

Bill
bmaxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:15 AM   #8
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
You're definitely correct. It is a painful process, particularly without a mouse. But it does work and if you bookmark it, it should be easier in the future.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote