Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-17-2010, 05:29 PM   #16
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
I'm hoping it's a typo
I miss Parlabane, the old bastard. Maybe a re-read is not such a bad idea. And some early Hiaasen, too. But maybe I should read some Davies first? So much to (re)read, so little time...
Yeah - Davies is the one I haven't read yet either. Think I'll try and track some of his stuff down. Another Parlabane book wouldn't go amiss though
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #17
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
There is a Parlabane short story in the anthology Crimespotting, but I'm trying to cut down on paper books so I haven't read it. Well there are five Parlabane books to go back to, and the others are just as good.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #18
mcgriff
mcgriff began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Deux
Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy could be for you. Taken in its entirety the end result is quite comical and bleak. It is not page after page of laughs and ironic turns, but those elements are there in enough quantity to set the series apart from most other fantasy works. Plus the action sequences are very well done.
mcgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:02 PM   #19
FCAdam
FCAdam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks a lot guys!

I have picked up Master and Margarita during which time when I told the worker the book name and that a 'russian guy' wrote it and his last name started with a B, a russian gentleman decided to take it upon himself to teach me how to REALLY pronounce his name haha...

Anyways, this book is exactly what I was looking for: very well written, sinister humour... what more could I want?

Thanks again!

Adam
FCAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 AM   #20
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgriff View Post
Joe Abercrombie's The First Law trilogy could be for you.
I second that suggestion
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #21
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
Have you checked out Flashes in the Dark? Not sure if it fits the bill...
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #22
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Actually, now that I think about it, Dead(ish) probably fits the bill
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote