Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Calibre suddenly copies files to ebook subdirectory on DR

Hi,

As of v6.5, I'm not having a funny issue where Calibre saves files to the ebook subdirectory instead of the root Document directory when sending ebooks to my attached DR1000.

Before v6.5 it would send them to the root Document directory.

When this started, I thought there was a problem because I couldn't find the books! I retried sending my books several times until I finally found them. Currently, I manually copy the files over to the root directory but I'm hoping I can get it back to the previous habit.

This is on a Windows XP machine and I currently have v6.7 installed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes, it's the way Calibre works. It's a bit of a nuiscence when you use Calibre for News collections as it creates a new driectory for every day too. I think I preferred to be able to send the books to where I wanted
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 PM   #3
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

What I found interesting is that it seemed to change from version 6.5 on (if I'm remembering correctly). I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I did or a config setting that can be changed.

Also, I was wondering if the target can be changed in the source.

Kovid, where could I look to find the target?
Old 08-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's a feature Making it customizable will happen eventually. If you want to hack the source look at the create_upload_path function in usbms.device or in the driver for your device just set SUPPORTS_SUB_DIRS to False
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
animedude01
Addict

Thanks Kovid. I don't _really_ care where the books are, but the change midstream was a bit annoying because I not have oodles of books in the main Document directory. I'll have to see whether it's worth it to change the location given that I'd have to do it each time I upgrade or if I should just get used to the subdirectory.

Either way, thanks for the quick reply
Old 08-19-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Actually, I added a configuration option to disable putting files in subdirectories. That might have been the version it was introduced in. Go to, Preferences, Plugins, Device Interface Plugins, Select IRex Digital Reader, Click Customize, Uncheck use subdirectories.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #7
animedude01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
Actually, I added a configuration option to disable putting files in subdirectories. That might have been the version it was introduced in. Go to, Preferences, Plugins, Device Interface Plugins, Select IRex Digital Reader, Click Customize, Uncheck use subdirectories.
I found it! I've unchecked it and will let you know how it goes when I get a chance to try.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:35 AM   #8
animedude01
Addict

Quote:
That didn't fix it. When I unchecked the use subdirectories box, it put the file directly in the ebook directory without using the author/booktitle subdirectory structure.

I think I'll just deal with how it does it now. I really don't feel like editing the file each time I upgrade on multiple machines.

Thanks for the help though, it's much appreciated.

Old 08-20-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by animedude01 View Post
As of v6.5, I'm not having a funny issue where Calibre saves files to the ebook subdirectory instead of the root Document directory when sending ebooks to my attached DR1000.

Before v6.5 it would send them to the root Document directory.
Ah. I mis-read the problem. Putting books into the ebook subdirectory was intentional. A user reported an issue where it was possible for calibre to overwrite system files on the device. From what I was told there is a system directory that is user writable. This prevents a malice book from overwriting system files.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:48 AM   #10
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Funny, I uploaded V 6.7 last night and it has reverted to the same as V6.5, ie it doesn't detect tjhe DR and I just save the files to disk as I used to do.

I suspect somethings gone pearshaped somewhere, so I'll see what happens tommorrow.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:56 PM   #11
animedude01
Addict

Quote:
Ah. I mis-read the problem. Putting books into the ebook subdirectory was intentional. A user reported an issue where it was possible for calibre to overwrite system files on the device. From what I was told there is a system directory that is user writable. This prevents a malice book from overwriting system files.
That makes sense. I've already moved everything to the ebooks subdirectory so no worries.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #12
animedude01
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pthwaite View Post
Funny, I uploaded V 6.7 last night and it has reverted to the same as V6.5, ie it doesn't detect tjhe DR and I just save the files to disk as I used to do.

I suspect somethings gone pearshaped somewhere, so I'll see what happens tommorrow.
My DR works fine with 6.7 under Windows and XP. I have had occasional issues with Windows not seeing the DR or seeing it but not writing to it. Rebooting fixes that and it's a Windows issue because I can't write to it using Explorer either.

I've also had a hiccup trying to use Calibre to umount the DR in Linux. As long as I remember to use Thunar's umount instead of Calibre it's fine.