Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Any men-build-stuff-and_chase-women recommendations?

The recent threads mentioning Leo Frankowski and John Ringo have made me crave some male wish fulfillment reading

I think the sort of book I'm looking for is early Crosstime Engineer style where a man changes society via his engineering skills and women throw themselves at his feet.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:42 AM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Have you read John Ringo's Ghost series yet? It brings a whole new meaning to wish fulfillment.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Ed Howdershelt has a 13-part series called "Third World Products." It involves lusty aliens, dodging some evil aliens, very funny, and lots of gratuitous sex. It's guy stuff, nothing romantic at all. I think they will fit your needs perfectly, and all of those books will keep you busy reading for a while. Oh, and he also has a book called "Ansen" and involves trying to help an immortal dimension-traveling alien. I find his books hilarious!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Have you read John Ringo's Ghost series yet? It brings a whole new meaning to wish fulfillment.
That's just sick....
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:38 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's just sick....
Yes I've ghosted a fair number of people. (That's a new verb I'm trying to introduce. It is similar in concept to goatze.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM   #6
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Quote:
That's just sick....
This has been around for quite awhile but it sums up the ghost series as well as the unexpected popularity of it. Might have been mentioned here before.

Oh Jonh Ringo NO!!

Ringo replies to it in the comments and agrees with the author.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM   #7
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Looks like you can get a T-Shirt now
http://www.cafepress.com/ohjohnringono
And I wish this thing had subtitles; it looks awfully funny but I can understand like 10% of what's said:
http://youtube.com/?v=sv2oqAe5Ib4
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #8
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've tried both the first novel of Ghost and Ed Howdershelt's series and didn't enjoy them. Mostly because the actual story and writing were buried under the wish fulfilment part (as with Frankowski's later books like Conrad's TIme Machine)...

Also, I'm not a big fan of the gruff, father-figure, Navy Seal-type protagonist.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
I've tried both the first novel of Ghost and Ed Howdershelt's series and didn't enjoy them. Mostly because the actual story and writing were buried under the wish fulfilment part (as with Frankowski's later books like Conrad's TIme Machine)...

Also, I'm not a big fan of the gruff, father-figure, Navy Seal-type protagonist.
For what it's worth, the first novel of "Ghost" has none of the "build stuff" parts. That arrives with the second novel. The wish-fulfillment part gets a bit less obnoxious too. Not a whole lot less so, but a bit.

You might want to give the second book a try.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:36 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I really don't think I'd want to meet the sort of person who LIKES "Ghost".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 03:43 AM   #11
shieldlp
shieldlp began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by radius View Post
The recent threads mentioning Leo Frankowski and John Ringo have made me crave some male wish fulfillment reading

I think the sort of book I'm looking for is early Crosstime Engineer style where a man changes society via his engineering skills and women throw themselves at his feet.
Robert Heinlein The Door into Summer and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

-- Larry
shieldlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
I really don't think I'd want to meet the sort of person who LIKES "Ghost".
Well... my way of reading the books is to skip a few pages any time I get to one of the more graphic sex scenes. I skip back only if there appears to be something important to the plot there (which there usually isn't). This converts the books from "hopelessly ick" to a combination of "No, John Ringo, No!" and "guilty pleasure."

And I think I can say pretty conclusively that any real life person "like Ghost" wouldn't be high on my social list either. He's really not a nice person -- a point Ringo makes over (and over, and over, and...)

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #13
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by shieldlp View Post
Robert Heinlein The Door into Summer and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

-- Larry
I'm not seeing the case for either of these. Heinlein's The Number of the Beast, possibly; Glory Road, arguably. Niven/Pournell's Janissaries books might be a good suggestion, particularly after the first. This is a category that doesn't do much for me, so I'm afraid I don't have many suggestions. But I don't think those two Heinlein books fit the bill.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 02:24 AM   #14
radius
Lector minore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I'm not seeing the case for either of these. Heinlein's The Number of the Beast, possibly; Glory Road, arguably. Niven/Pournell's Janissaries books might be a good suggestion, particularly after the first. This is a category that doesn't do much for me, so I'm afraid I don't have many suggestions. But I don't think those two Heinlein books fit the bill.
Really? I've read every Heinlein novel and I don't think any of his books fit into that category at all! His protagonists are almost always men and women of action who don't get bogged down in the "building" aspect.

For example, Number of the Beast is more about family dynamics and reads like a road trip story. Glory Road is more normal guy transplanted to fantasy world style. Door into Summer is time paradox and TMIAHM is a guerilla warfare/revolutionary novel to me... And in each of those books, the male heroes become physically and emotionally involved with one main love interest.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Generally I agree that Heinlein doesn't fit the category at all, I just suggested the two books that I thought might come closest.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote