Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 12:06 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
... I agree however with your comment about the person who slapped this crap together. I could be wrong but I'm fairly certain you weren't meaning the specific individual in the factory but rather the higher-up who condoned the creation of such a lousy device...
Yes, I'm referring to corporate, not the manufacturing facility.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:44 PM   #17
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Do folks in the United States who purchased from Borders get a replacement device without personally paying for ANY shipping?
We shall see. Waiting to hear from Tier 2 Support.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:04 PM   #18
remcdonald
Connoisseur
remcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timeremcdonald possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch
I'm sorry but inflammatory titles and posts just don't do it for me. I've had a Kobo Touch since the day it was released and had the older original Kobo before that I have never had major issues with mine. What I think is that you are frustrated that a piece of technology broke (crap happens unfortunately). When technology breaks it should be replaced under warranty and that is probably going to happen for you. I guarantee that the new Sony reader will have just as many issues to work out and that there will be bugs and fixes for that as well. But good luck with the new sony.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:08 PM   #19
joshmosh
Enthusiast
joshmosh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Any device of any make/model can have problems. Kobo has been very upright in dealing with device difficulties and I think that is honorable. Saying the entire ereader is junk is a bit arrogant in my opinion.
Old 09-10-2011, 01:10 PM   #20
SCION
Séduisant

I don't have "the new Sony reader". The 950 was released in late 2010. But I really doubt any new model of Kindle/NOOK/Sony will have, as you put it, "just as many issues to work out".

I don't care what your feelings are about this thread. I'm not trying to score Karma points. The thread is directed to Kobo and folks who are thinking of buying a used Kobo from someone in the United States who can't walk into their local Borders and return the thing.

Last edited by SCION; 09-10-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:30 PM   #21
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I had to issue a refund to the purchaser of my Kobo.

When performing a factory reset to prepare item for shipment, unit is unresponsive. Will not power on. After 5 hours of charging there is no change. Screen is white. Tried performing several hard resets to no avail. I did the paper clip in the back thing and the hold down power switch and home button thing. The device had been powered off for several days (fully charged). I had anticipated selling it when I got my Sony. The factory reset was performed successfully, and it was at the Welcome screen. I decided to turn it on just to make sure it was good to go. I wasn't going to, but something kept prompting me to do it.

After Googling I've discovered that this is common. I can deal with bugs and anticipated firmware updates for missing features. But hardware failure within several days/weeks of purchase is UNACCEPTABLE. I don't know who slapped this crap together, but it's an embarrassment.

I don't recommend buying one of these devices from someone in the United States who purchased from Borders. Someone may try to sell knowing the unit doesn't power on. Be cautious.
I am positive you can get $50 for it!
Old 09-10-2011, 03:34 PM   #22
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08GibsonExplorer View Post
It's not junk... you just have a defective unit. Go to any forum about any product and you will see lots of posts about the product failing. For instance look at Xbox 360, PS3, Nikon DSLR's, Canon cameras, Sony ereaders, Kindle ereaders, ipad's etc.. They all have a failure rate
It also tends to be the people with problems (or who are most bothered by them) who are the most vocal, so when you do a Google search, the perception is that "everybody" is having a problem. It's not usual that you'll find page after page of results from people saying, "Nope, no problems here."

For the record, my wife and I haven't had any significant problems with our units.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 09-10-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #23
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
I don't care what your feelings are about this thread. I'm not trying to score Karma points. The thread is directed to Kobo and folks who are thinking of buying a used Kobo from someone in the United States who can't walk into their local Borders and return the thing.
Sounds like your beef is really with the unscrupulous seller and not with Kobo making your thread title unfair and misleading.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:00 PM   #24
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I don't consider googling and finding others also have a similar problem = something being junk. If someone has a problem with a device, they're more likely to complain about it online. Most people don't do online forums and don't discuss their purchases, and they also have no reason to go online just to state something they've purchased works well. I comment on how I love my Kobo because I'm someone who's very interested in ebooks in general and am trying to be (somewhat) active in the book/ereader community. I can tell you I've never posted about *any* other device I've purchased and love. If I had a problem with one, though, then I'd be more likely to find a forum somewhere, describe my problem, and ask if anyone else has had issues.

In my household we have two original Kobos, two wifi Kobos, and two Kobo Touches. My sister has an original K and a KT. We've had no problems with any of them. My sister would never think about going online to talk about an electronic product she owns and likes. My other sister and my brother have Sony ereaders, and the same can be said for them.

Last edited by Suzanna; 09-10-2011 at 04:11 PM. Reason: Repitition
Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #25
bluejudy
bluejudy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Why not contact Kobo? Perhaps they will replace your unit.
Old 09-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #26
bluejudy
bluejudy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
I was not at all pleased with the first edition of Kobo. I purchased 3 units--1 for myself and 2 for others--and two of them failed. One unit bricked, and the other unit froze with a very skewed image of the cover of the book. When my personal unit bricked, and I explained to Chapters that the nearest store was more than 50 miles from me and that I had purchased my unit online, they told me to mail it back. I did and was credited with the purchase price within days.

I have been quite happy with the 2nd edition of Kobo (touching wood) with two exceptions: 1. Even when not in use, the battery tends not to hold a charge for more than a few days. 2: The .pdf display is still horrible.

I have returned the other defective Kobo and expect a credit/replacement in the near future.

I do not consider Kobo to be a high-end reader and I do not expect it to offer the features of one of the very expensive readers. I consider it to be a fairly good product that does what it is supposed to do.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #27
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejudy View Post
Why not contact Kobo? Perhaps they will replace your unit.
I already stated I did.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejudy View Post

I do not consider Kobo to be a high-end reader and I do not expect it to offer the features of one of the very expensive readers. I consider it to be a fairly good product that does what it is supposed to do.
What very expensive readers are you referring to? Everything is in the same price range now (Kobo/NOOK/Kindle/new Sony).
Old 09-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #29
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I realize there is not much point asking, but are you certain the unit IS charging? Have you tried different USB cables and / or ports?
Old 09-10-2011, 06:40 PM   #30
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I realize there is not much point asking, but are you certain the unit IS charging? Have you tried different USB cables and / or ports?
I appreciate the sincere question. Thank you.

I did try everything to get this thing going. I did have a pending sale and certainly didn't want to issue the refund.

I plugged the unit into a wall outlet. I used the same usb cable and ac adapter that I use to charge my phone and Sony Reader. Those units charge fine. I also used a different usb cable plugged into my computer. My phone and Sony also charge with this set up.

When the Kobo is plugged in there's a green steady light. That's always been the case prior to this issue. The indicator has never changed color when the charge is complete. I left it plugged in for five hours. I assume that's long enough to have enough juice to power up. As far as the resets go, I get a blue indicator light that flashes sometimes. Other times there is no flash.
Closed Thread