Notices

Old 10-05-2007, 09:39 AM   #1
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
Petitioning publishers

Hello all

First post here on MobileRead. Great forum. I'm looking forward to purchasing a ebook reader at some stage, possibly the Cybook. At the moment, I've got a few dictionaries, etc on my HTC P3300.

Has anybody successfully convinced a publisher to release one of their books in digital format? There are very many books that I want that aren't available as ebooks; at the moment I'm looking for four in particular:
Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Pronouns And Prepositions
Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Verb Tenses
Practice Makes Perfect: Complete Spanish Grammar
Practice Makes Perfect: Spanish Vocabulary

These are all published by McGraw Hill, and I've found a few books in a similar series on MobiPocket. I've sent McGraw Hill an email, but am I wasting my time or have others here had success?

Wayne
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:27 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you honestly think that books like this would useful on the CyBook? It doesn't have any kind of "Search" facility. How useful would they be without that?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Setting aside particular titles -- there have been reports here of publishers responding favorably to such requests, but they were most likely preceded by a lot of similar requests which the pubs blew off -- it's evidently a lengthy process to sway their opinions on the matter.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:38 PM   #4
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
You need to petition the author - that is what I heard from the digital heads.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #5
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you honestly think that books like this would useful on the CyBook? It doesn't have any kind of "Search" facility. How useful would they be without that?
did you ever touch a dictionary back in the days?
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:39 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
My point is that the current crop of book readers are really designed as "fiction" readers, where you simply read a book from start to finish. They work very poorly with reference books, where you generally want to look up something specific, rather than read it from cover to cover.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
hello
Custom User Title

if you can enter a page number yo u can referenc e it.
Old 10-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
@hello

You have been warned several times by different members of staff...consider this your last friendly warning before we hand this over to the Admin.
Your strange use of the [SPACE] key is just annoying and does not add anything useful to your posts. Just let it be or leave.
Thanks.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
did you ever touch a dictionary back in the days?
Have you ever tried to skim through a book on an eink device nowadays?
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
hello
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
@hello

You have been warned several times by different members of staff...consider this your last friendly warning before we hand this over to the Admin.
Your strange use of the [SPACE] key is just annoying and does not add anything useful to your posts. Just let it be or leave.
Thanks.
so if it seems to be in your interest an admin ca n appea r, and when i politely ask something to be looked after im only a minority and that doesnt care. good luck gentlemen.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I have no idea what you wanted "looked after", so I can't respond to that in any meaningful way...

If you want to talk about this in more detail, then feel free to contact me by PM...otherwise I'll leave the rest to Alexander since my powers as Editor don't include "banning" or other serious measures.
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 08:30 AM   #12
wmaurer
Enthusiast
wmaurer doesn't litterwmaurer doesn't litter

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HTC Desire
Okay, thanks for the replies. I have since noticed that the McGraw Hill 'Practice Makes Perfect' books that have been published in digital format are all recent publications, so it seems as if they're setting a precedent, which is good, even if it's annoying that older titles can't be obtained electronically.

Yes Harry, I agree, that these types of reference books may not be well suited to use with an e-reader. I can only hope that that any digital version would have a very good table of contents to make navigation as easy as possible.

Regardless, I'd still buy the books electronically as the reason for my intent to buy an e-reader is because I will be embarking on a pan-Americas cycle tour next year (18 months, Alaska to Argentina), and can't be carrying around a large pile of heavy tomes. I'll be continuing my Spanish studies whilst on the road in Canada and the U.S. hence my search for the above titles.

-Wayne
wmaurer is offline   Reply With Quote