Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2019, 03:41 PM   #46
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Please don't discuss moderation in the thread, OK?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:23 PM   #47
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by koboy View Post
i have over 2000 books all kepub's on my external SD card and it works a treat, obviously i can only speak from my own personal experience. why not try it yourself you might be pleasantly pleased that you did.

best wishes koboy

My original Aura 6" Has Zero e-books on the Main Storage & 4500 e-books on the 14 gig SD cards Works GREAT!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2019, 05:32 PM   #48
koboy
Wizard
koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Mini, Touch, Amazon Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post

My original Aura 6" Has Zero e-books on the Main Storage & 4500 e-books on the 14 gig SD cards Works GREAT!
koboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 05:36 PM   #49
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Mine works Great!

Have you never heard that ONLY the Complainers are the ones you hear from. So You take advice from the Few....

Well Looking at the thread Seems 90% are Posts By YOU

Last edited by Barbara1955; 06-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:10 PM   #50
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think there are two main classes of bugs.

Some are plain and simple; the reader not working correctly.

Then there are bugs which are really design choices which are counter to the choice that you would have made.

For things not working correctly it's key to provide a means to reproduce the issue, and most importantly, to actually report then to the vendor (and of course, many vendors make it very hard to actually report them to the appropriate team).

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2019, 12:39 AM   #51
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Have you never heard that ONLY the Complainers are the ones you hear from. So You take advice from the Few....
Few? There are dozen of bugs and reporter. And the people I see that continues to defend Kobo firmware like it was a sacred reliquary are three here.

But even if there is only one woman/man that is unsatisfied, this woman/man must be listen. Here, in a democratic state, everywhere. It's not democratic saying "it works for me", "I don't need it", "if you don't like this country, leave"
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:45 AM   #52
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
For things not working correctly it's key to provide a means to reproduce the issue, and most importantly, to actually report then to the vendor (and of course, many vendors make it very hard to actually report them to the appropriate team).
I've done it in past, Peter, with no result. Do you see any issue tracker for kobo products? You have to email them, and since you talks to not technical people, the discussion is problematic. It could be my impression, but IMHO the Kobo customer service seems to tend to minimize the problems and to not raise the bug to the level 2.

This is my personal feeling and experience, of course, but I don't know how much people is crazy like me to spend his precious time to report bugs to a e-reader company.

PS: and I reported bugs to Adobe too, with no result.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:10 AM   #53
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Kobo firmware has improved *much* over the past couple years, and despite having pitched a few fits of frustration in the past, I'm currently very happy with the devices.

However, one thing about Kobo that does still irk me is how new bugs are left to linger forever. It's inevitable that in development software will get new bugs, but I think staying on top of regressions should be a top priority for development team of in production software. Kobo, on the other hand, routinely introduces new bugs, and often times, they are there for what feels like a year and over 6 firmware releases before they are fixed. (I could cite examples, but I would only be venting my own pet peeves.)
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:52 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Few? There are dozen of bugs and reporter. And the people I see that continues to defend Kobo firmware like it was a sacred reliquary are three here.

But even if there is only one woman/man that is unsatisfied, this woman/man must be listen. Here, in a democratic state, everywhere. It's not democratic saying "it works for me", "I don't need it", "if you don't like this country, leave"
That's absurd. The only rational response to an inessential consumer good which is deeply frustrating and unsatisfying is to abandon it and move on to something else. That you don't suggests you're having your fun with all this declaiming and posturing.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #55
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's absurd. The only rational response to an inessential consumer good which is deeply frustrating and unsatisfying is to abandon it and move on to something else. That you don't suggests you're having your fun with all this declaiming and posturing.

Some people are not happy unless they are complaining. Sad but True.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:35 PM   #56
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

BS! In general, I believe most democratic states probably have laws about "free speech", but they probably don't have laws saying you must listen, especially about opinions on e-readers?

I don't know about democratic states, but in many governments you would probably be violating people's rights by forcing them to listen to, or hold the same opinion as you, on ereader bugs.

Wait for it... Here comes the Hitler reference.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #57
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
How about trying to select the top 5 Reading Experience issues and I'll do the best I can to get them reported to Kobo.

PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:23 PM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
How about trying to select the top 5 Reading Experience issues and I'll do the best I can to get them reported to Kobo.

1) Reliable tapping to turn pages.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #59
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:

Some people aren't even happy when they're complaining!

I may not agree with the level of complaint, but I'll support the right to complain if helps keep Kobo on their toes. There have been a somewhat embarrassing number of new bugs introduced over the years while old bugs continue to plague the user. I'm not singling kobo out in this, but it is a general trend and can be seen from the likes of Redmond and Cupertino, as well. The problem as I see it, is an ever greater reliance on outside or underlying code and libraries which form the basis for so many systems and are almost never properly understood or debugged even by those who created it, let alone the poor saps that must depend on it as foundation.

I never participated in "large" software projects written or maintained by multitudes of programmers, but I did perform the systems analysis & design, GUI design and programming, main and multi-threaded realtime C programming and all bugfixes for my PC based batching systems which ran around 20,000 lines of code overall -done in the other 40 hours of my 80 hour weeks back in the day.(The first 40 a week were spent maintaining existing systems in the field and designing the electronic hardware for the new systems.) This entailed my dependence on a GUI package and a multi-threading library with semaphores package running over DOS. I would have been somewhat mortified to release some of the doozies I've seen from what I can only assume is a team of programmers and few if any testers... One of my biggest problems was tracking down issues within the source code for the GUI package I bought back then. Not my code, but ultimately my problem. So I can commiserate if a similar situation exists, but I'd still like to see better beta testing done before releases are made to the general public. Frankly, at least one release a year should be devoted solely to tying up all existing loose ends... Fix what you have before you "innovate" on top of faulty foundations before you waste more time predicated on faulty code.
IMNSHO...
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 04:36 PM   #60
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
BS! In general, I believe most democratic states probably have laws about "free speech", but they probably don't have laws saying you must listen
Because I'm forcing you to read my posts, and you're screaming "Using Ludwig van like that!"? As I said before, you're free to not read my posts. Adios.

Quote:
<<Si sa che la gente da' buoni consigli sentendosi come Gesu' nel tempio. Si sa che la gente da buoni consigli quando non puo' piu' dare il cattivo esempio.>>

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 06-28-2019 at 04:38 PM.

Tags
kobo bugs annotation