Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-25-2018, 08:54 AM   #1006
Blahbarian
Blahbarian began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I will check those out. I really appreciate the help.
Exiles Trilogy looks like a good read (I don't think it is the book but I am going to read it just in case ;-)
Blahbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:22 AM   #1007
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I think it was Starship by Brian Aldiss.

Apache
Isn't that just Non-Stop under a different name?
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:22 PM   #1008
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Yes. Starship is the US name. It was original published s Non-Stop.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 02:04 PM   #1009
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Yes it is. There was another book I read that could be it, unfortunately I can not recall the name.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #1010
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
It was a popular concept. In addition to the popular ones there were many that are mostly forgotten today.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:11 PM   #1011
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I've got a scene floating through my head, and I can't place what book / saga it's from. I'm pretty sure it's a saga (book series) sort of thing. Can anybody place this scene? Scene:

We've (hero and/or heroine) been seeking the giants. Giants are found emprisoned in a cave(s). They are kept there by a smoke with some relevant properties. I think the fire outside the cave is replenished once while we watch from below the ridge. After bad guy leaves, we free the giants and attain their help. There is magic in this world, I'm pretty sure.

Spoiler:
Sagas that I can remember reading, which could possibly contain this scene: Fionavar Tapestry?, Narnia?. It doesn't seem like Assassin's Apprentice & subsequent books, and I've reread them recently; it certainly isn't the Vorkosiverse; doesn't seem like LOTR; Outlander and Chronicles of St Mary's only have magic related to time travel. I'm re-reading Harry Potter right now, but Hagrid's approach to the giants in book 5 is nothing like this. Carole Nelson Douglas' Six of Swords is another saga I recall; no idea if they had giants. Or a saga I'm blanking on completely .....
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 01:59 AM   #1012
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
I'm pretty sure that's
Spoiler:
Fioanavar Tapestry

More spoilers about the scene as I remember it:
Spoiler:
I think the heroes (Loren and Matt? With some of the visitors from our world?) were on their way to (or from?) the dwarwes to check out their version of the warning stone *) when they came across the giants. A group of svart alfar were keeping the giants imprisoned because they couldn't kill them directly. The giants were powerful, but pacifists, and the smoke was magical in some way, so they couldn't get past it.

After the heroes freed the giants (probably by killing the svart alfar), the giants promised to show up in the final battle against Sauron, um, I mean Maugrim, I think? They wouldn't fight, but they would help by magically healing the people fighting against him.

*) Sigh, a magical warning which only works as long as all the components in the chain are maintained properly, and which doesn't have a way to signal "Out of order, please turn your magical fire off and on again", is a pretty stupid warning system
hildea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:01 PM   #1013
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Perfect -- that sounds right! Thanks for the extra details, so I could place it. Yeah, I was thinking that the giants had shown up to help, in some later event.

Thanks!
bgDeb
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:17 AM   #1014
Matt5
Matt5 began at the beginning.

Device: none
First of all, please excuse my English.

I read the synopsis of this short novel about 15 or 20 years ago. It’s about a teenage boy whose mother is a cocaine addict. He’s in a relation with a Chinese girl, both of them dream to make a trip to China that will never happen. It also said that the story leaves you with a bittersweet feeling.
Matt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #1015
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
I'm trying to remember a sci-fi/fantasy short story.

[ spoilers ahead ]

It took place in a remote forest, and one of the characters was moving about in extreme slow motion. At this slow speed, all the plants and trees were "alive" and moving about with purpose. e.g., tree branches would be reaching out and swatting at things, vines would shoot out to grab things. To reach this slow motion state, the character drank some kind of potion, and the extreme slow state was called "hunati" or something similar. In the end of the story, some biological plague was introduced and as it spread through the forest, in the slow state, the character could observe it rapidly spreading through the forest, tress were screaming in pain, etc.

Any ideas what this short story was? I probably read it in some large sci-fi collection book.
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 01:02 AM   #1016
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I remember reading it, unfortunately I do not remember the Author's name or the book title.
Apache
The Exiles Trilogy was written by Ben Bova.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 05:20 PM   #1017
ryber
ryber began at the beginning.

Device: ALL THE THINGS
I'm looking for a couple short stories, I believe from the same Science fiction Anthology, but I can't remember either story or anthology name. I read the book in high school from the library, and I believe it was from or just shortly after the golden age of sci-fi - at least the stories were.

First story was about a man who found out how to manipulate gravity or mass. I particularly remember him making a delivery and removing all the gravity or mass from the truck he was delivering and placing it into a bridge, and I believe the bridge collapsed from the extra weight.

The second story was about a person who found a route to his destination that was faster than a crow could fly. There was no physical way for him to be able to travel so fast, but he kept being able to get to his destination faster and faster.
ryber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 11:43 AM   #1018
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
The second story sounds similar to "Mrs Todd's Shortcut" by Stephen King. It was published in the Skeleton Crew anthology.
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #1019
ryber
ryber began at the beginning.

Device: ALL THE THINGS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
The second story sounds similar to "Mrs Todd's Shortcut" by Stephen King. It was published in the Skeleton Crew anthology.
I have no idea how I conflated a story from Skeleton Crew with a golden age anthology, but that would explain why I've had trouble finding the story... I know for sure that the former story is from a golden age anthology at least. Thank you
ryber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:02 PM   #1020
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryber View Post
I have no idea how I conflated a story from Skeleton Crew with a golden age anthology, but that would explain why I've had trouble finding the story... I know for sure that the former story is from a golden age anthology at least. Thank you
He has written a few sci-fi ish stories over the yrs. The Jaunt comes to mind. And at least one novel with a fantasy look i.e. The Eyes of the Dragon so I can see how that could happen. We tend to think of him as a Horror writer, but he can write in other genre's besides that when he has the mind to.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
children's books, christie, forgotten title, four just men, mystery stories, teen sleuths