Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2019, 09:13 PM   #1
Freshenstein
Freshenstein began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Ereader that automatically puts series in own collection

I've got all my books all nice and organized by series but when I send them to my PW3 it ignores all the series. Is there an ereader that reads the metadata and puts them in their own collection or w/e automatically when you load the books into it? If the ereader doesn't support that natively, which is the easiest ereader to jailbreak and install something that does that?

I'd prefer to spend under $200 and that is my main "must have" option. Everything else is up for discussion. I've been looking at the kobo options but I don't know if any of them have what I want.
Freshenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Iirc, Kobo can automatically group books into series but only it the books are purchased from Kobo.

That said, you don't even need to root/jailbreak the Kobo to create collections with Calibre (although I think you might need a Calibre plugin).
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #3
Freshenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
That said, you don't even need to root/jailbreak the Kobo to create collections with Calibre (although I think you might need a Calibre plugin).
Do all Kobo ereaders do this or is it only specific models?
Old 01-04-2019, 11:29 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Iirc, Kobo can automatically group books into series but only it the books are purchased from Kobo.
I'm not sure what you mean, but, I'm pretty sure that isn't correct. The Kobo devices show series information, and can sort on it. Books purchased and downloaded from Kobo will have it. But, you can use calibre to set the series info for sideloaded books. After that, there is no difference between how books with series info are handled.
Quote:
Calibre will do it, and there is the auto shelf hack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshenstein View Post
Series info has been displayed on the Kobo devices for years. Series sorting was added in 2017 (maybe 2016). It is on all devices running firmware released since then. Effectively, everything from the Touch onwards.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
I have had 2 Kobos, the Clara and now an H2O2. Series management on both is a piece of cake. I use the Calibre plugin mentioned, and it handles both sideloaded and store-bought ebooks. If I buy a book as a new addition to a series that I created on Calibre and sideloaded on to my Kobo, the Kobo itself will add the new book to the collection.
Advert
Old 01-04-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
Freshenstein

If I'm not concerned with a bigger screen or waterproofing, is there any reason to get anything more than the Clara HD?
Old 01-05-2019, 12:12 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
If I'm not concerned with a bigger screen or waterproofing, is there any reason to get anything more than the Clara HD?
Bigger screen or waterproofing. Or buttons if you go to the Forma. Which also supports landscape mode.

Kobo runs the same firmware on all their current devices. The differences in functions are pretty much limited to the differences in hardware. Lights, coloured lights, buttons, etc. all have to be handled. But, the library management and reading is the same. There can be some lag as Kobo will release new function with a new device and add that function to the other devices later. The Forma is the only device that officially supports landscape mode. That does have an accelerometer to switch the modes. We are waiting to see if they will add a manual change for the other devices.

I think Amazon does something similar with the Kindles, but I don't pay enough attention to them to be sure.

If you want a 6" screen, then the Clara HD is the one I would recommend. It is an excellent device. And it is easy to carry around. I would recommend looking at the others and if the larger screens, waterproofing or buttons are desirable then they might be better for you.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 01:25 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I'm not sure what you mean, but, I'm pretty sure that isn't correct. The Kobo devices show series information, and can sort on it. Books purchased and downloaded from Kobo will have it. But, you can use calibre to set the series info for sideloaded books. After that, there is no difference between how books with series info are handled.
What I meant was Kobo readers don't read embedded series metadata from sideloaded EPUB.

Iirc, Calibre can do it because it writes directly to the Kobo's database hence the second paragraph.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 09:57 AM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Why not just organise the series into collections on the kindle? This is easy and simple to do. If, in Calibre, you name the series something like 01 The Owl and the Pussy Cat; 02 Went to Sea etc, they'll turn up in the collection in that order. You could call that Collection The Owl and the Pussy Cat (my title for an imaginary series of books).

This would be a lot cheaper than buying a new reader, unless you just want a new one.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Kobo automatically groups by author and I noticed my nook stacks books in a series together
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:19 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Why not just organise the series into collections on the kindle? This is easy and simple to do. If, in Calibre, you name the series something like 01 The Owl and the Pussy Cat; 02 Went to Sea etc, they'll turn up in the collection in that order. You could call that Collection The Owl and the Pussy Cat (my title for an imaginary series of books).

This would be a lot cheaper than buying a new reader, unless you just want a new one.
It’s even easier to use a metadata plugboard in Calibre to automatically prefix the series name and number to the title. That way series will be displayed in order on the Kindle in either author or title sort mode without the need for collections.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 10:45 AM   #12
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Kobo automatically groups by author and I noticed my nook stacks books in a series together
I think the Nook only recognizes series if you bought the books from B&N. None of my sideloaded books show series
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I think the Nook only recognizes series if you bought the books from B&N. None of my sideloaded books show series
They wouldn't. Metadata of neither Kindle nor ePub books includes series information.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:31 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They wouldn't. Metadata of neither Kindle nor ePub books includes series information.
Books purchased from B&N are ePub, but the Nook is able to recognize series. Nook just lacks the developer support Kobo has.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Books purchased from B&N are ePub, but the Nook is able to recognize series. Nook just lacks the developer support Kobo has.
Sounds as if they add extra metadata, in that case. "Standard" ePub metadata doesn't include series information.