Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
Shilelis
Shilelis began at the beginning.

Device: none
First E-Book Reader

Hello everyone!

I've started reading books again and decided that I need an E-Book Reader. I'm probably going to be a simple user, as for web browsing and work I have a laptop. This reader would be dedicated only for reading books. I'm mostly interested in a reader that could handle PDF's (not main priority) and read Kindle or ePub books. As I find most of the books I want to read both on Amazon and Kobo so it's not necessary to support both formats. Another crucial feature I need is English-English vocabulary, so that it would be easy to see the definition of the word. I also prefer to have a warmer back-light (no blue). My budget is up to 250eur, but If my needs can be satisfied with an old 60eur reader, then I'm good with it. Portability is not a priority, as I'm planning to read at home mostly, so maybe a bigger screen is better?

I'm aware of most of the offerings, but looking at Onyx Boox Nova, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Likebook Mars as premium offerings. Based on the Reviews I see that Onyx Boox Nova is the best choice, but it's really pricey. Are there better options? For instance, I can buy new Paperwhite 3 for 105 eur, would that be enough as I don't need many functions, or spending twice for Nova is worth it?
Shilelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:50 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have Kindles, Kobos and Nooks. I don't know much about the Onyx or Pocketbook readers. My personal preference is for the Kindles but I also like the Kobos and Nooks.

One advantage the Kobo will have for you, and I'm not sure this is true of all the models, is the ability to change the light color. I have this feature on my Nook but I don't use it. I've tried it and I prefer the normal color. A lot of people disagree with me on that.

Anyway that also lets out most of the older ereaders that you might find used. This is a fairly new feature.

Both the Kobo and the Kindles come with very good dictionaries. The Kindle dictionary seems a bit better but both are very good. I use the dictionary a lot and I'm content with either of them.

The Kobo tends to be a little buggy. I don't buy Kobo books. I convert my Kindle books and read them on my Kobo and that might be why. Most of the features work just fine for me most of the time. Sometimes some feature won't and I rarely know why. I don't see this as a serious problem.

On the Kindle everything pretty much always works. Both have more features than I use. Both have all the features I care about although I do like the X-Ray feature of the Kindle, as well as being able to sync with my phone's Kindle app. But these are minor things to me I can sync manually almost as quickly and I mostly use X-Ray as a character look up for characters I've forgotten. I can do the same thing on the Kobo using text search.

There is a difference in battery life. When I'm reading they seem about the same. When I set the Kobo aside and don't use it for a while it holds it's charge better than my Kindle when I'm not using it.

My Kobo is an older model so comparing screens doesn't make sense. I have used a more recent Kobo when I set it up for a friend and showed him how to use it. It's screen was just fine. As good as my Kindle's screen.

As I said I don't know about the other brands but choosing between a Kindle and a Kobo for most people is simply a matter of personal taste. Both are good. I'd say pick the one you feel best about.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Aura H2O, Aura HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Air, Tolino epos
Personally, the last time I went through evaluating different ereaders was a decade ago. At that time, I looked at Amazon's Kindle, B&N Nook and Kobo's ereader. Currently, I own several Kobo ereaders and a Tolino epos (a Tolino is not a bad choice if you live in a German speaking country).

Since you are living outside the USA, you can drop Nooks from your choices and, going by the reports in the Nook forum, if you are living in the USA, a Nook is not a great choice. The current software is buggy and B&N does not seem interested in changing that.

From the devices I am most familiar with, the Paperwhite 4 or the Clara HD would fit into your price range. You can use calibre (and Apprentice Alf) to convert between formats so don't worry about being tied into an ecosystem. On a negative side, there have been complaints about the Paperwhite 4 displays not being sharp while the Clara HD has had complaints about a light bleed issue on the edges of the display (my Clara HD does not have the issue but enough photos showing that issue can be found on this site).

I'm not certain as to what the pricing on the larger format Kobos (6.8" H2O2, 7.8" KA1, 8.0" Forma) or the Kindle Oasis 2 (7.0") would be in your area of the world so can't say how they would fit your budget.

All 4 Kobo ereaders I've mentioned have ComfortLightPro allowing you to vary the colour of the frontlight.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-13-2019 at 12:25 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 04:15 AM   #4
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Currently, I own several Kobo ereaders and a Tolino epos (a Tolino is not a bad choice if you live in a German speaking country).
Both the Tolino Vision 4HD and Shine 3 have (what they call) the "smartLight" feature, which is the same (or basically the same) as the "ComfortLight PRO" feature on the Kobos. The Shine 3 (hardware-wise) is basically a Kobo Clara HD but it has Tolino firmware. I own older Tolinos and like them. Not nearly as many features as the Kobo, however. (Kobo and Tolino are now aligned or merged ... or Tolino is owned by Kobo (not exactly sure what the relationship is). I don't know how well the Tolinos handle PDFs. I don't think I've ever tried one. Pricing is not too bad for either of these (I don't think).

Shine 3 at Grooves.Land ...
https://www.grooves-inc.com/product_...ebbaa5fbebfae1

Vision 4HD at Grooves.Land ...
https://www.grooves-inc.com/product_...ebbaa5fbebfae1

They also have the Shine 2HD, which doesn't have the "smartLight" but, since it's the older model (in the traditional Tolino design with the Home button) it's cheaper. My brother has one of these, they're pretty nice (but at about 10 Euros difference, you would probably want the smartLight)...
https://www.grooves-inc.com/tolino-s...ebbaa5fbebfae1

Last edited by rcentros; 01-13-2019 at 04:22 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:39 AM   #5
John F
Wizard
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
If you are interested in using your library, non-Kindles may work better for you.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 06:39 PM   #6
Shilelis

Thank you everyone for the responses. I was looking at the Tolino devices, especially at the Shine 3, but the reviews on Amazon.de are mostly negative (3.2 stars) due to bugs they encountered it's also mentioned that they have a bad build quality (cheap parts). However, I see that Shine 3 can be had for 100euros, which I think is a good price. You think I should be confident in Tolino's software? I'm also looking at Clara HD, but it's a bit more expensive, I can get it for ~130 euros. However, I'm searching for a complete product without errors and I'm not convinced as I see they have issues like light bleed, build quality, software. I'm also just thinking about buying a cheap used Kindle Touch (2012) from USA for like ~30-40euros, read for some time (couple of months) and then decide whether I want something more serious and invest in something like Onyx Boox Nova with a bigger and better screen.
Old 01-13-2019, 09:34 PM   #7
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Keep in mind that the Kindle Touch doesn't have a light at all.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM   #8
Shilelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Keep in mind that the Kindle Touch doesn't have a light at all.

Barry
Hey, thank you for letting me know that. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I've already order it for 45 euros with shipping and tax included (very good condition), I think it will be alright for reading some books. Thank you.
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #9
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shilelis View Post
Hey, thank you for letting me know that. It's a sacrifice I'm willing to make. I've already order it for 45 euros with shipping and tax included (very good condition), I think it will be alright for reading some books. Thank you.
Kindle Touches are nice readers. More so (in my opinion) if you add a custom darker font — which is easy to do.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote