Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #1
cbf123
cbf123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
anyone know how to disable the built-in web browser?

Hi,

Just got a Clara HD for my kids to use as a relatively safe reading device that can't hit up arbitrary websites like my tablet can. Then I discovered that it had a built-in web browser. Oops.

Anyways, I'm wondering whether anyone knows how to disable the built-in browser, or even which browser it is?

I'm pretty comfortable with Linux, so that part's no problem. Just want to avoid wasting time poking around.

Thanks a bunch!
cbf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Rickpcmp3
Rickpcmp3 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Goo HD
Would like to know if it's possible on a Glo HD too?
Rickpcmp3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 11:44 AM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
The browsers on e-ink devices are very sluggish, and won't load many web pages. I can't imagine a young person having the patience to use them. They are nothing like using a browser on a tablet or smart phone.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:22 PM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
you could probably block internet access for the Kobo MAC address at your router

but then you lose kobo sync, pocket etc. too, not sure if you're prepared for that

you could use my WebPortal mod to create a cgi-bin script that reboots the Kobo, then set that as the homepage for the browser, so Kobo would reboot everytime the browser is started.

such is easily circumvented by editing the config file though, or by factory-reset

you could patch the kobo, provided someone able to make the patch, but if your kids know how to download firmware updates, that's gone too, and again by factory-reset

it's hard to come up with a watertight solution, is it worth it for some naked ladies in black & white? your kids will be seeing those in full color while at school anyway
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
theinfamousj
Groupie
theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theinfamousj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (pink back)
I will just weigh in as a parenting professional -- you presume your children don't have friends with parents who are less vigilant. All blocking the web browser on their tablet does is shoot their eyeballs over to Billy's tablet which is unblocked.

Do not replace the opportunity to be a parent and have a frank discussion about family values with a few lines of code. You want your kids to say to Billy, "No thanks. Not interested." right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
theinfamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 03:19 PM   #6
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Want a patch for this? I could either make it never think it's connected, or I could remove the entry from settings (but a limited version without an address bar can still be accessed through the wikipedia function / opening links in books).
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 12:59 AM   #7
cbf123
cbf123 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousj View Post
I will just weigh in as a parenting professional -- you presume your children don't have friends with parents who are less vigilant. All blocking the web browser on their tablet does is shoot their eyeballs over to Billy's tablet which is unblocked.
Oh, I *know* there are kids with unblocked phones with full data plans at school. I was just hoping to add some basic protections on this device so that they could go read in their bedroom or wherever without me needing to be quite as alert.

Last edited by cbf123; 01-01-2019 at 01:18 AM.
cbf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #8
Rickpcmp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Want a patch for this?
Yes please, for Glo HD.

Last edited by Rickpcmp3; 01-02-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #9
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickpcmp3 View Post
Yes please, for Glo HD.
Ok, will do as soon as I get a chance. I'll probably either hide it or disable the button.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
geek1011
Wizard

The patch is done and released in v39 for 4.12.12111+. For convenience, here it is (for libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml):

Code:
Hide browser from beta features:
  - Enabled: no
  - Description: |
      Hides the built-in browser from beta features.
  # In N3SettingsExtrasView::N3ExtrasView(QWidget*):
  # hide the browser
  - ReplaceBytesNOP: {Offset: 0xA6E182, FindH: 18 B1}
Old 01-03-2019, 11:57 AM   #11
Rickpcmp3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
The patch is done and released in v39 for 4.12.12111+. For convenience, here it is (for libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml)[/CODE]
Thank you! I hope to try this, this weekend.