Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 12:38 PM   #1
UserTHX1138
UserTHX1138 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone, ipad
Converted to Kindle format (MOBI or other), won’t show up as “book”

I have searched everywhere for answers, and have only found dates information at best.
My ultimate goal here is to get Whispersync for VOICE to work between an Audible audiobook (it has Whispersync, according to their library) and an e-book sideloaded into the kindle app on iOS devices (iPad and iPhone).
The best info I can come up with says it won’t work because my sideloading has this far only yielded a ‘document’ in kindle, not an actual ‘book’.
I’ve tried removing the [PDOC] tag in the MOBI settings, to no avail.
UserTHX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:52 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserTHX1138 View Post
I have searched everywhere for answers, and have only found dates information at best.
My ultimate goal here is to get Whispersync for VOICE to work between an Audible audiobook (it has Whispersync, according to their library) and an e-book sideloaded into the kindle app on iOS devices (iPad and iPhone).
The best info I can come up with says it won’t work because my sideloading has this far only yielded a ‘document’ in kindle, not an actual ‘book’.
I’ve tried removing the [PDOC] tag in the MOBI settings, to no avail.
It might not be possible at all, (since I suspect syncing between text and audio requires a very specific version of the text), but if it is you'll need to add the appropriate ASIN to the side loaded book.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
UserTHX1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It might not be possible at all, (since I suspect syncing between text and audio requires a very specific version of the text), but if it is you'll need to add the appropriate ASIN to the side loaded book.
I’m sorry, you lost me at ASIN...
Old 01-13-2019, 10:33 PM   #4
UserTHX1138

Quote:
I’m sorry, you lost me at ASIN...
Oh, OK! Got it. I autofilled the metadata, which pulled it from Amazon. It had the ISBN and ASIN in there.
Any clue how to get it to show up as a “book” instead of “document”?
Old 01-14-2019, 01:20 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Any clue how to get it to show up as a “book” instead of “document”?
We've reached the limits of my knowledge. If no-one else suggests anything here within the next couple of days, ask in the Kindle forum.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 02:47 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Books sent to the kindle show up as books by default. You can turn that off via the option named "Enable sharing of book content via Facebook etc" in the MOBI Output section of the conversion dialog.

A book will show up as a document on the kindle if it has been marked as a personal doc with the PDOC tag or if it has no asin. Syncing on the kindle works for pdocs or books with a know amazon asin. calibre does not insert known asins into converted books, because converted books are going to be different from the amazon book ocrresponding to that asin. So you will need ot use something like the old mobi metadata editor tool to manually insert the ASIN used for syncing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #7
UserTHX1138

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Books sent to the kindle show up as books by default. You can turn that off via the option named "Enable sharing of book content via Facebook etc" in the MOBI Output section of the conversion dialog.

A book will show up as a document on the kindle if it has been marked as a personal doc with the PDOC tag or if it has no asin. Syncing on the kindle works for pdocs or books with a know amazon asin. calibre does not insert known asins into converted books, because converted books are going to be different from the amazon book ocrresponding to that asin. So you will need ot use something like the old mobi metadata editor tool to manually insert the ASIN used for syncing.
Thank you very much, I really appreciate the solid information.
Once I get the ASIN into the MOBI file, can anyone recommend the best way to transfer it to my device? Please keep in mind, I have iOS devices running the Kindle app, not an actual Kindle. If I email it to my Kindle account, that would then tag it as a doc, isn’t that true?