Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-24-2019, 07:27 AM   #1
Deleuze79
Deleuze79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Add page numbers?

I've tried searching to find an answer to this (and I'm sure there must be one out there) but been unable to find the information I need.

I use a kindle and most of the ebooks I export onto it using calibre don't have page numbers. From what I can gather, it is possible to add a form of page numbers to ebooks using calibre but I can't find a clear straightforward guide on how to do this.

I know there are issues with adding page numbers in the sense that how big the font is can affect this. Essentially, what I'm looking for is formatting the files so they have a set page number (eg based on the average number of words on a page) that stays the same irrespective of how big/small the font is (even though this means the page number might not change when you flip the page on Kindle.

If anyone can point me to where I can find the info on how to do this, I'd be really grateful.
Deleuze79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #2
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
I don't know if you can do this with MOBI or AZW3, but you sure can with KFX. If you decide to use the KFX format, these are the steps to add page count:

1) Install KFX output plugin. (Preferences > Plugins > Get new plugins).
2) Now, on the Convert Books dialog, you will have KFX as an output option. Choose it.
3) Still on the Convert Books dialog, go to KFX OUTPUT icon on the left column. Mark the option "Create approximate page numbers".
4) If you have the "real" page number saved on a custom column, you can choose it on the option "Lookup name of custom column with desired number of pages". In this case, the plugin will use this number instead of calculating the approximate number.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #3
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
In KFX format page numbers are part of the e-book file and produced during conversion. For other Kindle formats (MOBI/AZW3) page numbers are in a separate APNX file that is generated by calibre when you send the book to the Kindle device using calibre's device interface.

If you see page numbers sometimes, but not always, something may be going wrong with the APNX generation and transfer process. See this thread for an example of diagnosing such a problem.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
Deleuze79
Deleuze79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the replies. I've followed the steps for converting to KFX and adding page numbers. I've transferred a couple of ebooks across onto my kindle after doing this, but page numbers don't seem to be there (I tap the bottom left corner and this give either Loc or time left, not page number).
Deleuze79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:21 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Please update your profile to say WHICH model+verson Kindle
They all behave differently in some cases. There may be a setting for your specific model.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2019, 10:52 AM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Make sure that you have selected the option to "Create approximate page numbers" in the KFX Output tab of the conversion dialog. If you post a copy of the conversion log to KFX for one of those books I can take a look to see if anything is going wrong with page number creation.

I have attached a sample book created in KFX format using calibre that shows page numbers on my Kindle. You can sideload it to your device to see if the pages numbers appear.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Page Number Test - Test.zip (28.0 KB, 209 views)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:01 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Calibre can create page nubers on the fly when you send the Kf8 (AZW3) eBook to your Kindle as long as your Kindle supports page numbers. You can also create a custom column for page numbers and put in how many pages you want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote