Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #1846
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by artig View Post
After reading about the problems with book searches I tried the Amazon advanced search for the first time.

Using the search term "force of chaos" (including the quotes) in the book title field resulted in only 3 books, two of them with the term in the title or the subtitle and the third one (shown first) with the plural term Forces of Chaos.

For the example that Fluribus gave above, in the general Kindle search using the terms "character and characters" serling (with quotes as shown) only resulted in the one correct Kindle book and the one correct hardcover book.

The same result was achieved in the advanced search using "character and characters" (with quotes) as the title and serling as the author, except that only the Kindle version was shown.

Perhaps it's not well known that quotes can be used in this manner, both on Amazon and in a Google search.
Beat me to it.

I thought it was generally known.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:25 PM   #1847
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Beat me to it.

I thought it was generally known.
Even finding Advanced Search may be a problem for a newbie.

There is a link in /Help/ or doing a general search in 'Books' for blank will cause an Advanced Search tab to appear.

Again, I knew quotes could be used but I seldom remember and trying to find "Neil" but not O'Neil is a real pain.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:30 PM   #1848
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Charles River Editors, Free

Saint Nicholas and Santa Claus: The History of the Man and the Character Behind the Most Popular Christmas Traditions

Harappa: The History of the Ancient Indus Valley Civilization’s Most Famous City

The Battle of Chaldiran: The History and Legacy of the Ottoman Empire’s Decisive Victory Over the Safavid Dynasty in Anatolia

The Republic of Venice and Republic of Genoa: The History of the Italian Rivals and their Mediterranean Empires

William Powell and Myrna Loy: The Lives and Careers of One of Classical Hollywood’s Most Iconic Duos

John Barrymore: The Life and Legacy of Early 20th Century America’s Most Famous Actor

https://www.amazon.com/s?i=digital-t...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?i=digital...+river+editors

https://www.amazon.ca/s?i=digital-te...+river+editors
Old 12-02-2019, 01:36 AM   #1849
artig
Zealot
artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo, kindle pw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

There is a link in /Help/ or doing a general search in 'Books' for blank will cause an Advanced Search tab to appear.
After doing any general search in Kindle Store there's a menu bar above the search results, with the first item being Buy a Kindle and the last item being Advanced Search. That's how I found it for the first time.
artig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:56 AM   #1850
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post

Again, I knew quotes could be used but I seldom remember and trying to find "Neil" but not O'Neil is a real pain.
Funny enough, I've just had the same problem with the daily diary I mentioned in the chat thread. I put in the full title and it didn't show up on the search at all!

Adding the quotes did help but how many people search a title and are effectively told it doesn't exist?
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:07 PM   #1851
Little.Egret
Wizard

Heliopolis: The History and Legacy of Ancient Egypt’s Cult Center for the Sun God Atum

David Farragut and David Dixon Porter: The Lives and Careers of the Adoptive Brothers Who Became the U.S. Navy’s First Admirals

The Internment of German-Americans during World War II: The History of the American Government’s Controversial Decision to Intern and Deport Citizens of German Descent

Italy's Most Powerful Mafias: The History and Legacy of the Cosa Nostra, La Camorra, and 'Ndrangheta

Old 12-08-2019, 12:19 AM   #1852
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
A Long Strange Trip: The Inside History of the Grateful Dead is currently $1.99 on Amazon US
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XU8E8W/
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:54 PM   #1853
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
"Petty: The Biography" by Warren Zanes is currently $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VPZVR0G/
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #1854
lxpose
Connoisseur
lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lxpose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Kindle Daily Deal - Amazon UK

Roger Eatwell & Matthew Goodwin - National Populism: The Revolt Against Liberal Democracy (Pelican Books) - £0.99

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CV45TCM
lxpose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:08 PM   #1855
Little.Egret
Wizard

The Battle of Ain Jalut: The History and Legacy of the Decisive Mamluk Victory that Halted the Mongol Empire’s Expansion across the Middle East

The Great Siege of Malta: The History of the Battle for the Mediterranean Island Between the Ottoman Empire and Knights

The Unification of Italy: The History of the Risorgimento and the Conflicts that Unified the Italian Nation

Mexico and the World Wars: The History of Germany’s Efforts to Involve Mexico in World War I and World War II

The Palmer Raids: The History of the Arrests and Deportations of Anarchists and Communists in America during the First Red Scare

Old 12-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #1856
Little.Egret
Wizard

The La Brea Tar Pits: The History and Legacy of One of the World’s Most Famous Fossil Sites

Alexander the Great in India: The History and Legacy of the Macedonian King’s Final Campaign

Saint Nicholas and Krampus: The History of the Popular Companions Who Reward and Punish Children during the Christmas Season

Early Democracy: The History and Legacy of the World’s Democratic Systems from Antiquity to the French Revolution

America’s Westward Expansion Trails: The History and Legacy of the 19th Century’s Most Famous Routes to the West

Ty Cobb: The Life and Legacy of the Player Who Set the Most Major League Baseball Records

Old 12-18-2019, 07:50 PM   #1857
Little.Egret
Wizard

Endeavour free

Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald: An American Woman's Life (Biographies Book 2) by Linda Wagner-Martin

Zelda Sayre Fitzgerald was born at the dawn of the twentieth century, destined for celebrity as one half of the infamous darlings of the Jazz Age literary world.

First published in 2004 by Palgrave Macmillan.

A prolific author, Wagner-Martin has written biographical and critical studies of many American writers, including Sylvia Plath, Ernest Hemingway and Anne Sexton.

https://www.amazon.com/Zelda-Sayre-F...dp/B07TK29C73/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zelda-Sayre...dp/B07TK29C73/

https://www.amazon.ca/Zelda-Sayre-Fi...dp/B07TK29C73/
Old 12-20-2019, 12:53 PM   #1858
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
The Goldilocks Enigma by Paul Davies, is $1.99 at amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0047O2BBQ
Quote:
The Goldilocks Enigma is Paul Davies’s eagerly awaited return to cosmology, the successor to his critically acclaimed bestseller The Mind of God. Here he tackles all the “big questions,” including the biggest of them all: Why does the universe seem so well adapted for life?

In his characteristically clear and elegant style, Davies shows how recent scientific discoveries point to a perplexing fact: many different aspects of the cosmos, from the properties of the humble carbon atom to the speed of light, seem tailor-made to produce life. A radical new theory says it’s because our universe is just one of an infinite number of universes, each one slightly different. Our universe is bio-friendly by accident—we just happened to win the cosmic jackpot.

While this “multiverse” theory is compelling, it has bizarre implications, such as the existence of infinite copies of each of us and Matrix-like simulated universes. And it still leaves a lot unexplained. Davies believes there’s a more satisfying solution to the problem of existence: the observations we make today could help shape the nature of reality in the remote past. If this is true, then life—and, ultimately, consciousness—aren’t just incidental byproducts of nature, but central players in the evolution of the universe.

Whether he’s elucidating dark matter or dark energy, M-theory or the multiverse, Davies brings the leading edge of science into sharp focus, provoking us to think about the cosmos and our place within it in new and thrilling ways.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #1859
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Randall Munro (of the webcomic XKCD) has a book on Kindle for $2.99:

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/?ASIN=B00IYUYF4A
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 03:09 AM   #1860
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Would you like to swing on a star? Carry moonbeams home in a jar? Be better off than you are?

Donald Robertson - How to Think Like a Roman Emperor: The Stoic Philosophy of Marcus Aurelius at Amazon.com for $2.99.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote