Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 04:27 PM   #16
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by azt33 View Post
No word on Catalina though.
"Available in October" according to Apple
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #17
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
I was hoping they’d keep AW 4 in the lineup (with a price drop), as I need to replace my AW 3. But instead AW 3 remains (no doubt to compete better on price with FitBit etc.). So, I’ll probably just get AW 5 at some point. Maybe someone will finally deliver an Apple Watch reading app.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 06:57 PM   #18
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
I wonder how many decisions were based at least partially on the predicted impacts from the import tax war that is heating up? Sooner or later the import tax war fiasco is going to bite us in the backside and raise prices and possibly hurt availability of products and parts. Maybe Apple is assuming they will have to raise prices during the year to compensate for increased import taxes/fees, and thus lowered a few prices up front to make it seem less painful. I know the AW is one of the products experts believe will take a hit in price due to the import tax war.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I have updated wiki pages based on the release data of today. Some new pages, and modifications of old ones. Note in particular the push for tablets to be laptops. The new iPad 2019 notes the fact that this iPad is the same physical size as the iPad Air 2019 released earlier, even though the screen sizes are different. They can share keyboards and cases.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 09-10-2019 at 07:43 PM.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 PM   #20
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have updated wiki pages based on the release data of today. Some new pages, and modifications of old ones. Note in particular the push for tablets to be laptops. The new iPad 2019 notes the fact that this iPad is the same physical size as the iPad Air 2019 released earlier, even though the screen sizes are different. They can share keyboards and cases.

Dale
Cases, not quite. The new iPad 7th gen is thicker.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:37 AM   #21
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
[*]iPad OS. In theory it could be good, but it could also be awful if we have to wait forever for apps to be updated in order to take advantage of it. iOS is getting difficult to use IMO, and they should have addressed usability more than glitz and BS sales points designed for the younger people.[*]iOS update. Yawn.....wait, what were we talking about? Oh yes, some more tiny improvements or something...yawn....[/LIST]
Finally being able to connect external storage is a pretty big deal for me.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:07 AM   #22
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I wonder how many decisions were based at least partially on the predicted impacts from the import tax war that is heating up? Sooner or later the import tax war fiasco is going to bite us in the backside and raise prices and possibly hurt availability of products and parts. Maybe Apple is assuming they will have to raise prices during the year to compensate for increased import taxes/fees, and thus lowered a few prices up front to make it seem less painful. I know the AW is one of the products experts believe will take a hit in price due to the import tax war.
Probably don't want to start a political back and forth here.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:09 AM   #23
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
"Available in October" according to Apple
Yea, I saw that also. Make sense actually. The most recent Catalina beta had some issues. I guess it's taking a bit longer to fix up than expected. A bit disappointing though.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:18 AM   #24
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Pricing not too bad on Arcade and TV+, but not interested in either myself.

I do like that Apple is pushing health research and functionality on the Series 5 Watches. Most companies only care about fitness and workout tracking, but old farts like me need the health tracking and functionality and don't need or care much about the fitness stuff. My Garmin Vivosmart HR just broke its non-replaceable band so it is now a functioning paperweight. I am interested in the Watch 5, but doubt I can ever afford one unless my health insurance offers help on that, but since I have a managed care Medicare plan there is little hope that will ever happen.
Yea, the health aspects of the Apple Watch are nice. I have a AW 4 and like it a lot. The biggest attraction for the AW5 for me is the always on feature.
Old 09-11-2019, 07:44 AM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Did they mention the release dates of iOS 13 and Mac OS 10.15? I never heard anything, but I took a few breaks during the event.
Techradar said iOS 13 could be released on Monday.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-11-2019 at 07:47 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:04 AM   #26
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
"Apple has confirmed a release date of September 19 for iOS 13. Apple Arcade will launch along with it, but some features will come later, with iOS 13.1 on September 30."

- https://www.macworld.com/article/339...o-install.html
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:39 AM   #27
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I didn't catch anything on their News+. I wonder how that is working out for them?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 10:35 AM   #28
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
Probably don't want to start a political back and forth here.
I have absolutely no intent to politicize it, but it it is a reality and you cannot rationally discuss commerce, including Apple's import of goods from China, without mentioning the import tax/fees war that is ongoing. It is what it is, and it will impact commerce. Stating this fact is not politicizing it. It is merely stating the obvious. It is not taking a political side to simply mention that this import war will and is affecting prices. That is a statement of fact and nothing more.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:47 AM   #29
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Man View Post
I didn't catch anything on their News+. I wonder how that is working out for them?
Apple did not address News+ in yesterday's event. They announced News+ months ago, but I doubt they had any reason to discuss it during this event. The last I heard and read was that many of the contributing partners were quite upset with the way Apple was treating them, especially the lack of help from Apple in getting their contributions published within News+. They were saying that Apple had favored a handful of prime contributors and more or less were ignoring the rest. They claimed that Apple had promised to give them templates and instructions for using those templates, but had not carried through with the promises. I have no clue if they are correct in that claim or not.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:56 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem with the iPhone 11 series is no 5G. So (IMHO) if you have an iPhone, don't bother to upgrade it just yet. It's a lot of money to spend on a phone without 5G.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote