Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 08-07-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Suggestion for Wiki: Split ebook stores by theme?

I've been thinking it might be useful to create wiki pages for different themed categories of ebook stores and free ebook sites, since there are so many of them.

I know of six romance/erotica ebook stores (off the top of my head) that aren't on the wiki page, and I'm not sure it's really appropriate to add them. And there are several sci-fi themed ebook stores. I have no idea if there are specific horror-themed or mystery ebook stores, but if there are, I know people would love to have them all listed in one place.

It's possible that for smaller themes like horror or mystery, ebook stores & free ebook sites could be combined onto the same wiki page. (Perhaps this could be done with all of the themed pages. The romance/erotica list would probably get rather large, but other ones should be very manageable.)

I'd also love a separate list of ebook stores that sell non-DRM'd ebooks.

I'm willing to do some research and collect lists, but I'd like to know if other people think it'd be useful, or if you have other ideas on how it should be done. Also, this thread could serve as a place to drop links for other ebook sites that are too limited to feel like they belong on the Big List of Ebook Stores.

I'm not sure if there's a convenient way to deal with single-author ebook stores--whether they should be added to a themed list (if one is appropriate), or if there should be a page of "authors selling their own ebooks." (Perhaps it could suggest a minimum number of ebooks to include.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I've been thinking it might be useful to create wiki pages for different themed categories of ebook stores and free ebook sites, since there are so many of them.

I know of six romance/erotica ebook stores (off the top of my head) that aren't on the wiki page, and I'm not sure it's really appropriate to add them. And there are several sci-fi themed ebook stores. I have no idea if there are specific horror-themed or mystery ebook stores, but if there are, I know people would love to have them all listed in one place.

It's possible that for smaller themes like horror or mystery, ebook stores & free ebook sites could be combined onto the same wiki page. (Perhaps this could be done with all of the themed pages. The romance/erotica list would probably get rather large, but other ones should be very manageable.)

I'd also love a separate list of ebook stores that sell non-DRM'd ebooks.

I'm willing to do some research and collect lists, but I'd like to know if other people think it'd be useful, or if you have other ideas on how it should be done. Also, this thread could serve as a place to drop links for other ebook sites that are too limited to feel like they belong on the Big List of Ebook Stores.

I'm not sure if there's a convenient way to deal with single-author ebook stores--whether they should be added to a themed list (if one is appropriate), or if there should be a page of "authors selling their own ebooks." (Perhaps it could suggest a minimum number of ebooks to include.)
A reorganization would be a big job and very difficult to add sites that offer multiple genres. You can add any book sites you want. I did create a separate category for book sources that have only a specific or limited offering. This could be subdivided if needed. Most of the sites offer multiple categories.

All of the eBook stores also sell non-DRM'd books although it is sometimes not easy to tell. The list would thus be the same. Single book sellers can be listed but perhaps a new section for limited content would be useful to match the one for free books. We do have a section in eBook stores for author sites.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
A reorganization would be a big job and very difficult to add sites that offer multiple genres. You can add any book sites you want. I did create a separate category for book sources that have only a specific or limited offering. This could be subdivided if needed. Most of the sites offer multiple categories.
I'll work on compiling a list of smaller, themed ebook stores, maybe post them here, and then someone can decide if that's too many to comfortably fit on a single wiki page.

Quote:
All of the eBook stores also sell non-DRM'd books although it is sometimes not easy to tell. The list would thus be the same.
I meant a separate list for sites that only sell non-DRM'd ebooks. (And not all ebook stores sell non-DRM'd books; I believe all books from Barnes & Noble and Coolerbooks.com have DRM.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I'll work on compiling a list of smaller, themed ebook stores, maybe post them here, and then someone can decide if that's too many to comfortably fit on a single wiki page.

I meant a separate list for sites that only sell non-DRM'd ebooks. (And not all ebook stores sell non-DRM'd books; I believe all books from Barnes & Noble and Coolerbooks.com have DRM.)
Perhaps we could start a new page for book stores that only sell non-DRM books. Don't worry about a page getting too long. It can always be split when needed.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote