Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #241
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
We need a "time" theme for some good time travel stories.
April is "It's All Relative, time-ly books", so there you go.

Last edited by Dazrin; 02-15-2018 at 08:51 PM. Reason: April discussion, March nominations...
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #242
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I like it. But I'd suggest tweaking the title to I've Got a Secret, per the old game show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Good idea!
I like that one. We csn go so far afield with this. I've Got a Secret is the name of a game show. So just think of all the fun we can have now that games are allowed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 04:43 PM   #243
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
OK, folks, here it is for the next five months. Anything that hasn't made it, hasn't made it yet. And you can continue, of course, to post suggestions for the next round in this thread.

May - Doomed to repeat it: History (fact and fiction)
June - I'll be there for you: Best friends
July - Some like it hot: Summer
August - What is it good for? Absolutely nothin': War
September - The shortest, gladdest years of life: School
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 05:48 PM   #244
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete post

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-15-2018 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:36 PM   #245
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What happened to April?
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 08:51 PM   #246
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I think I see the confusion here; we were told what April would be back in December, but the way it was listed was based on nomination dates. The selections list, and the list above, are based on discussion dates. April was not skipped.

Again, I try to keep the selections list up-to-date (and issybird has been editing it as needed too) so you can check there if you have questions. Here's a direct link to the selections list that includes all current future themes.

Sorry for any confusion based on nomination vs. discussion dates, and thanks for bringing it up. I will try to be more clear in the future. I have edited my post above to clarify as well.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #247
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I see where the problem lies. The way to fix it and make it simpler is the month’s theme should be the month where the nominations are. So for April, that would be the theme for April’s nominations. Otherwise to me it does not make sense. The way it is now, we are reading April’s book in May if am not off here and I could be because this is somewhat confusing.

What is the theme for the April 01 nomination? I think it should be the timely one so we can all easily be on the same page.

To me, we’ve not yet done March, but to the listing, we have. Can we please make the month’s theme the month we nominate? That would be so much easier.

Take the school theme, that doesn’t work because we are nominating September books in August. Do I have that correct?

Will this work and can we change to it...March is the month we have the next nomination. So make that the March theme. It’s a lot simpler to keep things straight.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-15-2018 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:21 AM   #248
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
I don't agree: surely the month is the month when we read the book, not when we deal with nominations. So Passing is the February book and The Old Man and the Sea is the March book.

The long lead time between the nominations, such as the nominations and voting in February for the book we shall read in March, is to allow for people to get a book from the library which might have a list of readers waiting for it, as well as time to read the book before discussions start in the middle of the month.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 01:47 AM   #249
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Month when I read the book makes sense to my logic
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:27 AM   #250
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
The month when we read/discuss the book works for me (what we have now).

I don't see it as confusing or difficult to understand that we have, in February, just nominated and voted in the book we will read/discuss in March. It may not be perfect, but it's functional.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:22 AM   #251
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The month of reading is the month of the nomination. For example, I started read Passing the same month it was nominated. So to me that makes that month it's month, not the next month.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:36 AM   #252
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
Both the nominating thread and the discussion thread have the word "February" in them. The theme, Rainbow Reading, is listed against February in the list on post #2 of the info thread. So it's clear that Passing is February's book.

I must say that I am grateful that the discussion thread is locked until the middle of the month itself. I participated in an online SciFi and Fantasy book club where they would announce the next book near the end of the previous month and you would get fast readers finishing it and starting discussions before the month started. Worse, nearly everyone was a faster reader than me and so by the time I'd finished the book they would have already made all the points they wanted to and moved on. In some cases they would have started the book after that.

Which, as an aside, is also why I've been enjoying the fact we've had shorter books so far. Not that I wouldn't enjoy longer ones too, but in that case I would probably try to start after the nominations to get a head start. My library doesn't have a very large collection of ebooks in any case.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #253
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
Both the nominating thread and the discussion thread have the word "February" in them. The theme, Rainbow Reading, is listed against February in the list on post #2 of the info thread. So it's clear that Passing is February's book.
But The Old Man and the Sea is listed as the March book when it was nominated and voted for in March. That what makes it confusing.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #254
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
No, Jon. The March book (the book we will discuss in March) is The Old Man and the Sea. It was nominated and voted on in February. (We could hardly have nominated and voted on it in March, given that it's still only mid-February. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #255
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Has anybody thought of any good books for April? I'm still working on it.