Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #226
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I thought the themes were not supposed to be genre specific. How is that theme not genre specific? How many books can you name about parallel bars?

What about a theme called Valentine's Day? After all, there are at least a handful of books that would fit without being romances, so shall I lobby for that?
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 02:13 PM   #227
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I thought the themes were not supposed to be genre specific. How is that theme not genre specific? How many books can you name about parallel bars?
Parallel lives also means shared experiences. So that opens a lot of books that don't have to be science fiction or fantasy.

Quote:
What about a theme called Valentine's Day? After all, there are at least a handful of books that would fit without being romances, so shall I lobby for that?
Go for it. We can nominate books about Gangsters, booze, murder, massacres. It just doesn't have to be about romance. Might as well toss in some SF/fantasy.

8 Romantic Sci-Fi Books Perfect For Valentine's Day
https://www.bustle.com/p/8-romantic-...ines-day-37161

Crosstalk by Connie Willis
The Gender War by Bella Forrest
Just One Damned Things After Another: The Chronicles of St. Mary's by Jodi Taylor
'All the Birds in the Sky' by Charlie Jane Anders
Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai
A Taste of Honey by Kai Ashante Wilson
The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Beck Chambers

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-14-2018 at 02:30 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #228
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Quote:

The book called Parallel Lives is by Plutarch, and is a series of biographies of Greeks and Romans, comparing and contrasting them. Not exactly fantasy or science fiction.

In any case, this thread is for throwing up ideas which may or may not be taken further. We don’t have to wrangle exhaustively over each suggestion.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:50 PM   #229
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It just goes to show that most themes can go very far afield from what was thought about when it was suggested. Even a theme such as Valentines Day can have nothing at all to do with romance.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:23 PM   #230
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
The book called Parallel Lives is by Plutarch, and is a series of biographies of Greeks and Romans, comparing and contrasting them. Not exactly fantasy or science fiction.

In any case, this thread is for throwing up ideas which may or may not be taken further. We don’t have to wrangle exhaustively over each suggestion.
Why not? What else is there to do while waiting to discuss a hundred-page book?
Advert
Old 02-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #231
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Because it kills off ideas when each one is thrashed over exhaustively.

And you could always read Passing, which we shall start discussing tomorrow!
Old 02-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #232
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I thought Passing might have been the book Catlady was referring to, it's listed in my Kobo as only 105 pages.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 07:47 PM   #233
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun

I see. My copy is somewhat longer, but then it has an introduction and footnotes, being the Penguin edition.
Old 02-14-2018, 09:13 PM   #234
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Here's one, I'm not sure how good, but it keeps popping into my mind, so I'd best write it down.

Tell me a secret - book titles using the word secret, spy stories, unknown/little known history/true stories.
Alohamora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 09:27 PM   #235
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
Here's one, I'm not sure how good, but it keeps popping into my mind, so I'd best write it down.

Tell me a secret - book titles using the word secret, spy stories, unknown/little known history/true stories.
I like it. But I'd suggest tweaking the title to I've Got a Secret, per the old game show.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:12 AM   #236
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post

I just suggested Trade Secret, which gets us both your secret plus books related to business and trade. Or baseball trades, I guess, though I hadn't thought of that permutation when I suggested it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:58 AM   #237
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

No matter what the secret theme is, I'll find a way to turn it into science fiction.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:26 AM   #238
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I just suggested Trade Secret, which gets us both your secret plus books related to business and trade. Or baseball trades, I guess, though I hadn't thought of that permutation when I suggested it.
I like Trade Secret too. But, it suggests business, commerce or baseball, so it's not the same thing.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #239
Alohamora
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
No matter what the secret theme is, I'll find a way to turn it into science fiction.
We need a "time" theme for some good time travel stories.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:32 AM   #240
Alohamora
Evangelist

Quote:
I like it. But I'd suggest tweaking the title to I've Got a Secret, per the old game show.
Good idea!