Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 09:29 AM   #196
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Did we already suggest something related to Food? The thread is getting too long to keep track.
issybird mentioned Food back on post #52. Bookpossum tried a summary (to 30-Jan) on 147, JSWolf did a variation on post 148.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:24 AM   #197
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Here's one for consideration:
  • Shakespeare Is Everywhere--books that relate in some way to Shakespeare.

And possible titles for already mentioned ideas:
  • Best Served Cold--books about revenge (as in "Revenge is a dish best served cold"); I suppose it could also include books about food, winter, the Arctic, etc.
    ***ETA: Vengeance Is Mine is better, I think. It would keep the focus on revenge.
  • This Means War--books about war and conflict.

Last edited by Catlady; 02-13-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #198
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I like This means war as War is a card game and gambling would be allowed and so would fortune telling due to tarot cards. Also think War of the Roses meaning divorce is allowed and so would couple fighting. So there we go way off on a tangent. But it all fits.

Best served cold is a good food theme it also can be Star Trek reference and the we can go from there with Doctor Who.

Sometimes we can go to all sorts of places.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-13-2018 at 11:52 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:50 AM   #199
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

delete post
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #200
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I like This means war as War is a card game and gambling would be allowed and so would fortune telling due to tarot cards. Also think War of the Roses meaning divorce is allowed and so would couple fighting. So there we go way off on a tangent. But it all fits.
Jon, I do believe you're getting into the theme of things.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2018, 12:51 PM   #201
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Best served cold is a good food theme it also can be Star Trek reference and the we can go from there with Doctor Who.
You're going to have to explain the Star Trek and Doctor Who connections. I don't have a clue.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:19 PM   #202
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

The mention of card games sparked another idea: Fun and Games or Games People Play--books with the name of a game, toy, or leisure activity in the title.

ETA: Another one: By the Numbers--books with a number in the title.

Last edited by Catlady; 02-13-2018 at 02:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #203
June
Addict
June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.June ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Oasis 1&2 and others
Quote:
That brings up a can of worms big time. People who's first language is not English could nominate books translated into their language. So please, let's not go there.

Well, English isn’t my first, or second, or even third language... As I mentioned in my suggestion: the New Leaf Book Club is an English speaking book club. So that is why I wrote not lost in translation for books which were originally written in some other language than English (since English is the book club language)” so the theme would be for books translated into English

Last edited by June; 02-13-2018 at 02:46 PM.
June is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:17 PM   #204
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
[QUOTE=Catlady;3656381]You're going to have to explain the Star Trek and Doctor Who connections. I don't have a clue.[/QUOTE]

As Star Trek and Dr Who are TV and film things, don’t worry! We have stated specifically that books written as spin-offs of such franchises are not eligible.

I do like your theme suggestions though I’m struggling to think of examples beyond Winniethe Pooh and Valley of the Dolls for toys and games in the title!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:19 PM   #205
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
You're going to have to explain the Star Trek and Doctor Who connections. I don't have a clue.
Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn, 1982: Kirk, old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb, "Revenge is a dish best served cold"? It is very cold in space. — Kahn

Also iZombie has an episode titled Best Served Cold so zombies are in.

As for Doctor who, the phrase is in at least a couple of books.

It’s also used in The Godfather so the mafia is in.

This theme can go so far afield.

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-13-2018 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #206
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Revenge is a dish best served cold is a proverb which certainly predates Jon's examples, though I gather its origin is obscure, as is often the case with proverbs.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:22 PM   #207
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
As Star Trek and Dr Who are TV and film things, don’t worry! We have stated specifically that books written as spin-offs of such franchises are not eligible.
Thank goodness for that!

Quote:
I do like your theme suggestions though I’m struggling to think of examples beyond Winniethe Pooh and Valley of the Dolls for toys and games in the title!
I hadn't thought of Valley of the Dolls--I like that one! These are some titles I was thinking of:
  • Fiona Davis, The Dollhouse
  • Fania Fenelon, Playing for Time
  • Sophie Hannah, A Game for All the Family
  • Harriette Simpson Arnow, The Dollmaker
  • Ruth Ware, The Lying Game
  • Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games series
  • Parnell Hall's Puzzle Lady series

And there are business books with words like monopoly and risk in the title, books with various sports settings, etc. I'm sure there must be horror titles about dolls, too.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #208
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
Quote:
I thought that was just for the "Book Came First" category. I think a Star Trek or Dr. Who book would be eligible for another category. (Although I strongly doubt they would get much support.)
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #209
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thank goodness for that!
Even if the Doctor Eho references are not allowed, the Star Trek one is for sure as that happened in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn. And we can nominate cookbooks with food meant to be served cold.

Quote:
I hadn't thought of Valley of the Dolls--I like that one! These are some titles I was thinking of:
  • Fiona Davis, The Dollhouse
  • Fania Fenelon, Playing for Time
  • Sophie Hannah, A Game for All the Family
  • Harriette Simpson Arnow, The Dollmaker
  • Ruth Ware, The Lying Game
  • Suzanne Collins's Hunger Games series
  • Parnell Hall's Puzzle Lady series

And there are business books with words like monopoly and risk in the title, books with various sports settings, etc. I'm sure there must be horror titles about dolls, too.
A Game of Thrones - George RR Martin
Wild Cards - edited by George RR Martin
Ready Player One - Earnest Cline
Toys - James Patterson and Neil McMahon
Death of a Toy Soldier - Barbara Early
Rudolph, The Red-Nosed Reindeer - Robert L. May
The Mars Monopoly - Jerry Sohl
and many more....

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-13-2018 at 05:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #210
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Star Trek II, The Wrath of Kahn, 1982: Kirk, old friend, do you know the Klingon proverb, "Revenge is a dish best served cold"? It is very cold in space. — Kahn

Also iZombie has an episode titled Best Served Cold so zombies are in.

As for Doctor who, the phrase is in at least a couple of books.

It’s also used in The Godfather so the mafia is in.

This theme can go so far afield.
Indeed, I start to think it might be harder to find something that doesn't reference the revenge/cold thing.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote