Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 06-19-2015, 09:47 AM   #1
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
CC Cloud alpha test

I will shortly be releasing CC w/Cloud support to members of the CC alpha group.

CC Cloud displays the cloud library the same way that CC Content Server displays information. Not much more to say here -- you will know what I mean when you see it. I am purposely not saying more because one of the things that needs testing is whether people can use it without explanation.

This release has support for Dropbox and Onedrive. Dropbox seems to work better than Onedrive. I think that Onedrive is doing "developer throttling", only allowing a certain number of requests per day.

In addition to cloud support, this release:
  • offers a even-larger book list and grid thumbnail. Several people with 10 inch tablets said that the current largest thumb is too small.
  • has a condensed preferences screen, making it (I hope) easier to navigate.
  • the beginnings of "help dialogs" that come up when you first use something. The dialog has a check box that will prevent it from showing again.

EDIT: This really is an alpha test. Although I am confident that I didn't break any existing feature of CC, there will certainly be bugs in the new cloud stuff. In particular, error handling where the cloud provider says "Go away" is probably not at its best.

EDIT 2: The test has gone very well. Several users have made excellent suggestions, such as support for multiple libraries, CC support for file name templates, and showing counts on the category items (tags, etc). These have been added. Of course there have been bugs, but at this point I think they are all fixed. The app will go to beta around 1 July.

Last edited by chaley; 06-25-2015 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Add latest status
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 AM   #2
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
I'm in. Can't wait to try it out, and I have never used the content server, so I am a perfect tester of "can it be used without explanation".
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2015, 03:02 PM   #3
peekpoke
Enthusiast
peekpoke began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle/Android
I assume you expect the CalibreLibrary directory in the cloud drive since many users already backup their Calibre collection into the cloud (I use Google Drive). We'd just point CC to that directory in the cloud.

The big question is how we are going to reverse sync?

If I mark a book as Read, and you modify the CalibreLibrary directory in the cloud, and that gets synced back to the local CalibreLibrary directory while Calibre is running... I don't think that would work. I don't think Calibre will understand other programs changing it's main metadata.db file or individual metadata.opf files on the fly.
peekpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peekpoke View Post
I assume you expect the CalibreLibrary directory in the cloud drive since many users already backup their Calibre collection into the cloud (I use Google Drive). We'd just point CC to that directory in the cloud.
Yes, that is where CC Cloud gets its information. The library must be an exact copy, including the metadata.db file and all the book directories & files.
Quote:
The big question is how we are going to reverse sync?

If I mark a book as Read, and you modify the CalibreLibrary directory in the cloud, and that gets synced back to the local CalibreLibrary directory while Calibre is running... I don't think that would work. I don't think Calibre will understand other programs changing it's main metadata.db file or individual metadata.opf files on the fly.
CC does not and will never modify any calibre database/file in the cloud. Just like the content server connection, the cloud connection is used to pull books from the cloud library to the CC library, after which the book can be read/used in CC in the normal fashion. If after fetching a book via the cloud or via the content server you want to change the read or read date column and sync that back to calibre then you must connect to calibre using the wireless device to do the sync.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:14 PM   #5
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Looking forward to have this on my tablet for testing. For now i use for cloud searching and downloading from my Calibre database on Dropbox another application. So if everything runs well i can spare that one.
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2015, 07:32 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I released it at 11:00 Paris time. People should be seeing it any time now.

Please make comments on this thread, not the CC Cloud thread.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #7
kaufman
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Downloaded and installed. A few quick comments:

1) works perfectly with dropbox for business.
2) user interface is easily figure-outable for a newby like me
3) one issue so far if you hit the download button from the main screen without adding anything to the download queue, it says "something has gone wrong" instead of something about no books being in the queue.

I need to go add a few books to the library so I can test downloading. So far, love it.
Old 06-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

@kaufman: Thanks for the feedback. I had an irrational fear that I have been doing something wrong in my testing and that the first user would totally fail to connect.

You may have noted that I added the search for on-device as a top-level category. Having it there makes sense to me because it is really part of the meta-metadata and isn't a lot different than a Read boolean column. You can long-press on "No" to restrict what is shown in all the other categories to books not on the device.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
kaufman

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
You may have noted that I added the search for on-device as a top-level category. Having it there makes sense to me because it is really part of the meta-metadata and isn't a lot different than a Read boolean column. You can long-press on "No" to restrict what is shown in all the other categories to books not on the device.
And just like that (snaps fingers) you have added the one function I care about the most. As always, thanks very much.
Old 06-20-2015, 01:45 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just to confirm ... my understanding is that CC Cloud is only for users who keep (or have a copy of) their whole calibre library on Dropbox? If so, I'll have to sit out this testing phase as my broadband link just isn't up to it.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
I just installed on my Nexus 5 and was surprised to see that I had to go to a browser to sign in to Dropbox. Dropbox is in Accounts and other apps that use Dropbox seem to use that because I have never had to login before, I only had to approve access. I haven't tried it yet because I'm not sure I remember my password.

Edit: also, I tried to change the number of items from 25 to 10 in settings and it didn't save.

Edit 2: now it shows that it was changed to 10. Some kind of timing issue?

Last edited by Purple Lady; 06-20-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:56 PM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Just to confirm ... my understanding is that CC Cloud is only for users who keep (or have a copy of) their whole calibre library on Dropbox? If so, I'll have to sit out this testing phase as my broadband link just isn't up to it.
Your understanding is correct. That said, simply using the new versions is worth a lot, because it is possible (although unlikely) that I broke something in the current functionality.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:57 PM   #13
Thomas_AR
Zealot
Thomas_AR began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Well installed it, using Dropbox with three different databases in 3 different folders.
1. Connected CC to Dropbox, working fine
2. By accident i choose a folder which contains a database which is empty (no books) -> CC crashes
3. As for know we do not have the possibility o switch between different cloud databases i reset everything and connected a database with 600 books - so far so good
4. Searching for "Ark Royal" books results only in the first book of the series called "Ark Royal" but not in the other books of the series. Series is named as "Ark Royal"
5. Tried do download one book, can not find it. Where are downloads stored?

So after a initial test:
1. We need possibility to switch between different databases
2. Search for series does not seam to work.

So far i love it.

Last edited by Thomas_AR; 06-20-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Thomas_AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:06 PM   #14
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I just installed on my Nexus 5 and was surprised to see that I had to go to a browser to sign in to Dropbox. Dropbox is in Accounts and other apps that use Dropbox seem to use that because I have never had to login before, I only had to approve access. I haven't tried it yet because I'm not sure I remember my password.
CC cannot use the dropbox client on the device because that is incompatible with using multiple cloud providers. This won't change. You will either need your password or not use CC Cloud.
Quote:
Edit: also, I tried to change the number of items from 25 to 10 in settings and it didn't save.

Edit 2: now it shows that it was changed to 10. Some kind of timing issue?
Not a timing issue but a synchronization issue. I forgot to update the show first letters summary when it was changed. Fixed.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:58 PM   #15
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas_AR View Post
Well installed it, using Dropbox with three different databases in 3 different folders.
1. Connected CC to Dropbox, working fine
2. By accident i choose a folder which contains a database which is empty (no books) -> CC crashes
I cannot repeat this. Steps I used:
  1. Create an empty library in Dropbox
  2. Reset CC's cloud connection information
  3. Connect to cloud
  4. Select the empty library in folder navigation
I see an empty library. What did you do that was different?
Quote:
3. As for know we do not have the possibility o switch between different cloud databases i reset everything and connected a database with 600 books - so far so good
I will consider adding a "Change Library" function to the CC Cloud menu. It will close CC cloud, forcing you to navigate to the new folder on the next start. I won't add the ability to do it without closing CC Cloud because there is too much state that depends on the current library.

EDIT: Done. Will be in the next release.
Quote:
4. Searching for Ark Royal books results only on the first book of the series called "Ark Royal" but not the other books of the series.
I am surprised that it found anything. Series searches are seriously broken. I will fix this in the next release.
Quote:
5. Tried do download one book, can not find it. Where are downloads stored?
In CC's library, wherever that is. The intent is that you use CC to read the book, not a file manager.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by chaley; 06-20-2015 at 04:15 PM.