Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-30-2016, 10:18 PM   #61
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Slowly, easily, as the tension builds -
Will she or won't she?

knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:54 PM   #62
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Literally LOL -- and that doesn't happen often, as I'm an introvert!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2016, 06:11 AM   #63
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucida View Post
KOReader should work. Don't know what's wrong with KL code, but if you get my fakeinput samples, put faketouch to kindle and run from ssh with KOReader open, KOReader will respond accordingly. Same for my original mouseturn.

Also in KL all input/touchscreen devices are hardcoded which is wrong. KV has one more extra input device than PW3, the side buttons, so it will be event0 for power btn, event1 for touchscreen and event2 for the side button. USB OTG devices start from event3....that's why brightness not working in KV even he got same adapter as yours.
Yep I thought that was the reason KV was not changing brightness, since the inputs were just 'bumped' up by one. The touch screen seems to be the same, event1. But it's not good to rely on.

And yeah, of course I would like to read the input devices dynamically but I'm not sure the best way to do it.
I have no idea about udev stuff. If this could support hotplugging that would be great.

I was thinking I could be cheap and just use the output from 'ls /dev/input/'...
There was some place, maybe in /proc/, where I could get a list of all the devices attached, see their names, the 'bus' they are connected to etc.

The native devices, things like the touch screen, power button, they were on bus '0', and my usb inputs were on bus 3.

Maybe that would be a way to do this, just ignore all inputs on bus 0?

And very strange about your code working fine with KOreader...
I will have to test again... all I can say is that for me KindleLazy didn't work with KOReader.

Yeah I was using your fakeinput samples to help me, they were very useful, thank you!

Last edited by zxczxc; 10-01-2016 at 06:14 AM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 08:43 AM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

First thing to do (or to check prior to doing more) -

See if /lib/modules/<kernel version>/modules.* has been updated to include the kernel module(s) used with this add-in.
(The moddep command should have dealt with this during the module build.)

A non-Kindle example of what first needs to correctly match the modules currently used by the kernel:
(This stuff is the basis of the kernel's hardware support automation.)
Code:
3.0.0-29-generic $ ls
build          modules.alias.bin    modules.dep          modules.inputmap   modules.pcimap    modules.symbols.bin
initrd         modules.builtin      modules.dep.bin      modules.isapnpmap  modules.seriomap  modules.usbmap
kernel         modules.builtin.bin  modules.devname      modules.ofmap      modules.softdep   updates
modules.alias  modules.ccwmap       modules.ieee1394map  modules.order      modules.symbols

Last edited by knc1; 10-01-2016 at 09:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:57 PM   #65
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Slowly, easily, as the tension builds -
Will she or won't she?
She's done it! (On the KT3; it was cheaper, and only had 2 books on it.)

Quick question on step 8: for the MrPI installer, my un-packager on a Mac has created a folder named kual-mrinstaller-1.6.N-r13408, which has 4 items IN it. Do I want this folder, or the 4 items, to be placed at the top level of the kindle? This is probably a "the way mac unpacks" question.

Comment re step 4: *gosh* but my wifi was fast at noticing that the kindle was back online, after the firmware install. It was starting to do something with "new fonts" when I quickly put it back offline (airplane on) and proceeded. It went fine, but I had to be fast at that. Unless "fonts" wasn't an online thing (actually, I hadn't put in a wifi password, so it probably WASn't connected; merely trying to be).
Advert
Old 10-01-2016, 03:02 PM   #66
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Nevermind -- I went through the links to find the MR thread about the package installer. I see that I *do* want to have the extensions and mrpackages folders at the top level. I.E. I want the CONTENTS of what the mac unpacked.

Proceeding.

edit: Done! Added KUAL+, helper, battery app, and KindleLazy. Don't have much I can DO with it till Monday, when my remote controller arrives.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 10-01-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 10-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Nevermind -- I went through the links to find the MR thread about the package installer. I see that I *do* want to have the extensions and mrpackages folders at the top level. I.E. I want the CONTENTS of what the mac unpacked.
- - - - -
You had me wondering how I could have missed that, but:
Step 8(a), bullet #2:
Quote:
This is an "un-archive to top level of visible USB storage" package.
Be sure that the un-archive tool you use has options set to create directories.
Which is just another way of saying: "the contents of the archive".

Sorry if that was a bit unclear.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:54 PM   #68
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Wake from screensaver with the top button on the presenter does work when used immediately after the KV goes to sleep, but after a little time, and I don't know exactly how long but around 60 seconds, it doesn't work anymore. Does it continue working on the PW3?
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 03:11 PM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

There are several steps in the sequence from "awake" to going to sleep "suspend".
It might be a matter of when in the sequence you catch the process.
lipc can be used to wait for the various sequence step messages.

The sequence may well be firmware version specific (along with model specific).
So you probably need to provide the firmware version you are seeing the problem on.
Old 10-02-2016, 03:45 PM   #70
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There are several steps in the sequence from "awake" to going to sleep "suspend".
It might be a matter of when in the sequence you catch the process.
lipc can be used to wait for the various sequence step messages.

The sequence may well be firmware version specific (along with model specific).
So you probably need to provide the firmware version you are seeing the problem on.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #71
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

My presenter remote (same one you bought, in black since $2 cheaper) arrived today. I can't get it to work yet with KindleLazy, but I'm not sure where the fault is. The presenter instructions say the dongle should have a blue light with each button press; it doesn't. So maybe I haven't gotten THAT working yet.

However: I also tried the "screen upside down" function of KindleLazy. Let me tell ya .... That was quite a trip.
(A) pressing it caused a kindle reset is that expected? I didn't expect it, but am willing to believe it might be what you planned.
(B) The screen upside downed quite nicely. However, without a working remote, I had to navigate by touching the screen. (KT3) The screen still required me to press where the buttons USED to be. I tried to start KUAL again to turn it off (after seeing how well it rotated the screen). Instead of KUAL, I got the book which would have been in that spot if the screen were not upside down. Okayyyy. I tried to exit that book, and had to blindly locate the opposite corner from where the house actually appeared, but where it originally would have been. Got a couple of option screens and had to find the right opposite place to make them go away. Finally found the house and got back to "home".

I finally exited the book. Trying again for KUAL, I pressed the book (above) and voila, got KUAL. I had to experiment quite a bit to find where KindleLazy would have been, if the screen weren't upside down. Then ditto for the "undo upside downess " button.

Whew! That was quite a trip (felt like I was "on" something!)

I suspect I could have restarted the kindle, instead, to make it go away?

Now, back to getting that presenter remote to work. I don't suggest trying the upside down mode without a presenter!!
Old 10-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #72
jscris
Addict

Quote:
My presenter remote (same one you bought, in black since $2 cheaper) arrived today. I can't get it to work yet with KindleLazy, but I'm not sure where the fault is. The presenter instructions say the dongle should have a blue light with each button press; it doesn't. So maybe I haven't gotten THAT working yet.

However: I also tried the "screen upside down" function of KindleLazy. Let me tell ya .... That was quite a trip.
(A) pressing it caused a kindle reset is that expected? I didn't expect it, but am willing to believe it might be what you planned.
(B) The screen upside downed quite nicely. However, without a working remote, I had to navigate by touching the screen. (KT3) The screen still required me to press where the buttons USED to be. I tried to start KUAL again to turn it off (after seeing how well it rotated the screen). Instead of KUAL, I got the book which would have been in that spot if the screen were not upside down. Okayyyy. I tried to exit that book, and had to blindly locate the opposite corner from where the house actually appeared, but where it originally would have been. Got a couple of option screens and had to find the right opposite place to make them go away. Finally found the house and got back to "home".

I finally exited the book. Trying again for KUAL, I pressed the book (above) and voila, got KUAL. I had to experiment quite a bit to find where KindleLazy would have been, if the screen weren't upside down. Then ditto for the "undo upside downess " button.

Whew! That was quite a trip (felt like I was "on" something!)

I suspect I could have restarted the kindle, instead, to make it go away?

Now, back to getting that presenter remote to work. I don't suggest trying the upside down mode without a presenter!!
LOL!

I have the black one, too. No light on the dongle. It's back a bit in this thread where I tried the upside down function. I didn't do it until I had the page turns working, though. The restart was quite a surprise to me, too. Mine works well for page turns on the KV and I love it!

This is on your kindle Voyage?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:20 PM   #73
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

No, this is on a KT3 -- newest version of kindle basic, touch. Bought Jul 12/2016 (Prime Day).

I tried the presenter, just now, on my Mac with Powerpoint. That works fine. However, it still may be my micro-USB to very naked USB adapter. They look like yours (5 for 1 price in my post on page 1 this thread).

OR -- do you know yet if this works on a KT3 basic-touch-kindle?
Old 10-02-2016, 08:26 PM   #74
jscris
Addict

Quote:
No, this is on a KT3 -- newest version of kindle basic, touch. Bought Jul 12/2016 (Prime Day).

I tried the presenter, just now, on my Mac with Powerpoint. That works fine. However, it still may be my micro-USB to very naked USB adapter. They look like yours (5 for 1 price in my post on page 1 this thread).

OR -- do you know yet if this works on a KT3 basic-touch-kindle?
Don't know about the KT3. Mine is working on the Voyage and I haven't tried it on the PW2 we have here.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:41 PM   #75
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I just copied the "config.json" file from /extensions/KindleLazy/bin to /extensions/KindleLazy (so it's in both places). It's the basic one, from the package install, which looks like this:
{
"key_brightness_down" : [ 114 ],
"key_brightness_up" : [ 115 ],
"key_next_page" : [ 104, 103, 106 ],
"key_prev_page" : [ 109, 108, 105 ],
"key_wake" : [ 15 ]
}

(a) which directory should it be in?
(b) any idea what values it should contain?

I probably need to wait for zxczxc or knc1 for this.

Tags
remote, remote control