Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Embedded Fonts for Kindle Fire Possible?

Is there a way to get embedded fonts to work on a Kindle Fire using Calibre? I have no problem getting them to work on the eInk Kindles I own but not on either of my Kindle Fires.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As far as I know there should be no difference, but then its a long time since I got my hands on a Fire. I assume you've done the usual things -- turned on Publisher fonts, tried an azw3 file rather than a joint mobi file?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 01:27 AM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As far as I know there should be no difference, but then its a long time since I got my hands on a Fire. I assume you've done the usual things -- turned on Publisher fonts, tried an azw3 file rather than a joint mobi file?
There is no turn on publisher font option that I can find on either Fires with the books I converted. They are AZW3 files. They both work fine on the Paperwhite and Kindle 4 and in Calibre.

The Publisher font option works on my eInk Kindles but there is not one on either Kindle Fire.

I just got a Kindle Fire HDX yesterday which does have a few things broken like mobi files (new or old) no longer shows a table of contents but AZW3 files do which is why I am trying to switch to the new KF8 format. The table of contents shows on all other kindles including my older Kindle Fire just not the HDX.

I just want to read with my prefer font on the HDX but I am not sure it's possible unless I use a different reader app and use epub.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm, not much I can suggest. Hopefully, amazon will update their kindle app on the HDX to fix the problems.
Old 10-20-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Hmm, not much I can suggest. Hopefully, amazon will update their kindle app on the HDX to fix the problems.
Yeah I've contacted Support and they forward the broken mobi table of content issue to the developers so here's hoping!

I still hoping someone here knows a trick to getting the publisher's font to work on a Kindle Fire. I own two a HDX and the Original Kindle Fire from 2011 and neither show the publisher's font option with the books I converted from Calibre. I've read on the KDP forum that it is possible to get embedded fonts to work but I've yet to figure out the coding needed.
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 02:53 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If someone does know how, then I would be interested as well, I could look into adding that technique to calibre.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I just wanted to let you know I got the embedded fonts to work on the Kindle Fire!

There's still no publisher on/off that I can find so the font is not changeable once you embed the font but it works good enough.

It turns out when Calibre embeds the fonts it only adds the reference to the font on the Body class tag called Calibre. The Kindle Fire does not recognize this. In order to get the fonts to display you have to add the font-family tag to each style that has text.

It's simple and easy to do this in Calibre by using the Extra CSS box under Look and Feel in Calibre's conversation window.

I just add for example:
Code:
p {font-family: "Trebuchet", sans-serif;}
and that adds it to each style with text.

A easy fix and it works. I can now read on my HDX with my font! I am so happy!

Thank you Kovid and your team for all the work you do on Calibre I would be lost without it!
Old 10-23-2013, 03:16 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's good to know, thanks for sharing. I dont think I want to do that in calibre, as the embed font feature is only supposed to set the "base" font, used by body, setting it explicitly on paragraphs would override any fonts defined in the input document.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:34 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
That's good to know, thanks for sharing. I dont think I want to do that in calibre, as the embed font feature is only supposed to set the "base" font, used by body, setting it explicitly on paragraphs would override any fonts defined in the input document.
Quite understandable. Leave it Amazon to make things not work as they should. They could fix it someday I suppose. Here's hoping till then it's easy enough to work around it by using the Extra CSS Box or manually editing the style sheet and adding the font family references to it.

I'm just ecstatic I got it to work!