Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-15-2012, 03:54 PM   #1
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
Question KindleGen 2.3, wierd results? KF8??

Hey,
I'm giving KindleGen2.3 a go vs MobiGen 6.2 to see what all the fuss about KF8 is all about.

But first, I'm noticing some odd results. Formatting that worked fine with MobiGen, doesn't with KindleGen. (Passing it an ePUB rather than single HTML)

Eg,
Code:
p.first-para {text-indent: 0em !important; margin-top: 1em !important;}
For non-indented paragraphs, remains indented when compiled with KindleGen

The Amazon Guide talks about using media queries to allow your formatting to gracefully degrade on Mobi7, but as far as I can see

Code:
@media amzn-mobi{
<<< some alternate CSS >>>
}
...simply doesn't do anything. I think that what I'm seeing is that the new Amazon guide...

http://kindlegen.s3.amazonaws.com/Am...Guidelines.pdf

...is getting ahead of itself perhaps? Mobi "doesn't use CSS". Are they thinking that this behaviour will work when then roll out KF8 to the eInk Kindles... but then, hold on, you won't need degraded formatting with the "150 additional formatting features" that it offers.
So... I'm confused, that are they talking about?

I'm going to go over everything again to see if there's anything silly going on...
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've actually been having better results converting epubs to mobis with the new version of kindlegen.

I don't think the new guide is getting ahead of itself, but granted... I've only tried using the @Import method from the guide, so I can use two completely separate css files—one for MOBI and one for KF8.

I just have a blank stylesheet except for:
Code:
@import url(../Styles/mobi7.css) amzn-mobi;
@import url(../Styles/kf8.css) amzn-kf8;
That barebones stylesheet is included in every xhtml file in the epub. Then I have two different stylesheets (named mobi7.css and kf8.css) where all the nitty gritty happens.

You can also do a:
Code:
@import url(../Styles/common.css);
@import url(../Styles/mobi7.css) amzn-mobi;
@import url(../Styles/kf8.css) amzn-kf8;
Where all the common stuff is one css file and only the special styling circumstances need to go in the two format-dependent css files.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Oxford-eBooks
Zealot
Oxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of lightOxford-eBooks is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Loads!
oohh... hang on a moment: It seems that KindleGen is a not so tolerant of whitespace in the XHTML as MobiGen!

Code:
<link rel='StyleSheet' type='text/css' href='StyleSheet.css' />
works on MobiGen and KindleGen...

Code:
<link rel='StyleSheet' type='text / css' href='StyleSheet.css' />
KILLS all your CSS in KindleGen by dropping the stylesheet! But works on MobiGen

Holding off on all my flames until I get stuck again!
Oxford-eBooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kf8, kindlegen, mobigen, problems