Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-11-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
No good font size for a book (fonts aren't scalable enough)

I downloaded PDF with a book. Text in it is aligned to the left and to the right (which is very good). But unfortunately nook only allows me to select out of 7 font sizes. When I select size number 2 (from the left), text of this books is too small, difficult to read, lines take only ~60% of the screen. And when I select size number 3, lines become so wide that nook breaks them, and it begins to look very ugly (to me).

It looks like if nook had more font sizes, or if size was a floating point number, I could select the right one to view this book. But unfortunately BN left us with only 7 choices for some reason.

Anybody hit such problem? What is the possible solution besides waiting for BN to (maybe?) fix this in the future? Not sure if BN even reads this forum for improvement ideas.
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
PDF is a tricky format for e-books and nook doesn't have "best of class" PDF features, to boot.

I've found that most PDFs I've tried on my new Nook (single-column, simple layouts) look fine, but it all depends on how the original document was formatted.

Two PDFs I thought were practically unusable on nook, looked fine on my Sonys. Of course, Sony's PDF feature set is more robust than nook's, so I wasn't really surprised.

Since B&N hasn't done much to enhance nook's PDF capabilities, one of the first apps most people add after rooting a nook (any edition) is a good PDF reader.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Here is what I do not get about font sizing. Why is it we have to have specific increments? Why can't we just enter a the font size we want as a number? That way we would have the perfect font size. No more it's too big at size 5 and too small as size 4.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
jerrry94087
Enthusiast
jerrry94087 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why can't we just enter a the font size we want as a number? That way we would have the perfect font size. No more it's too big at size 5 and too small as size 4.
To be more user friendly, font sizer could be made with a "slider" which can be pulled left and right with a very small increments.
jerrry94087 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
trekchick
Lurker
trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.trekchick can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Sonys and Kindles and Nooks, oh my!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Here is what I do not get about font sizing. Why is it we have to have specific increments? Why can't we just enter a the font size we want as a number? That way we would have the perfect font size. No more it's too big at size 5 and too small as size 4.
That would require the reader to first determine the base font size of the original document and then calculate the percentage required to grow or shrink the base font to the selected size. Repeat for each additional font size used in the text (headings, footnotes, etc.).

It would be painfully s---l---o---w.

Still, some readers do better with the font sizing than others, so it's definitely something that can be improved upon.
trekchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2011, 03:18 AM   #6
paultakeda
paultakeda began at the beginning.

Device: Nook 2nd Ed., Nook Color
The point of PDF makes this a difficult task. It's bad enough that they can be altered on readers in the first place as a PDF, by original intent and design, is supposed to represent a page that is for all intents and purposes set in stone. Its size, fonts, and overall layout are all designed to fit exactly on a particular size page. It is, in other words, a digital representation of a printable document with well defined pages.

ePubs and other ebook formats, on the other hand, are digital representations of words without actual pages.

PDF viewing will always be a pain if the screen you're viewing it on is smaller than the pages of the PDF itself. The best you can ask for is a good way to zoom and pan -- and for an e-ink device that functionality would drain the battery, not to mention the current refresh rates would make panning pretty jerky.
paultakeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #7
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
The Nook does, however need some more test sizes, as its sizes usually give you a choice between too small and much too large. We need a continuous scale of sizes or at least several more sizes, like the Kobo with 15 sizes available.

Of course, the Kobo does not offer control over margins or line spacing...
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote