Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #1
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
How much does the 3g data plan really cost you?

I have been researching the 'true' cost of owning an IPAD since I am considering getting one, and was very sad today to discover that the $15/mo unlimited 3g plan is no more. You have to pay for every 200mb or something like that I hear.

How has that worked out cost-wise for you all using it. Keep in mind I intend to surf like a mad man so I expect to be an excessive bandwidth user.

I know wifi is free but have no interest in a wifi only model. I will use wifi where I can but it seems I am ALWAYS in an area where there is no wifi. Either 3g or no go.

Thanks.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:30 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
As far as I know the iPad has always been $15/mo for 250Mb, and $25/mo for 2Gb. You may have been thinking about the old data plans for iPhone, which is different. That is for AT&T. Also, AT&T says: "With the 250 MB or 2 GB data plan options, you will receive an on-screen alert when the amount of data in your plan is low or when the plan is about to expire. If you exceed the amount of data on your plan, you may immediately purchase an additional data plan or wait until the current plan automatically renews at the end of the 30-day period. Plans expire when you have used all the data included in your plan, or in 30 days, whichever occurs first."

Not sure how it works for any other carrier.

I only bought one month's work of the $15 plan, just to make sure the 3G model was working in my iPad.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2011, 07:44 PM   #3
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I could do $15 a month with no qualms, but I KNOW as much as I would use I would be purchasing new 'chunks' every week or two and it would end up costing me 3 to 4 times that. Very sad day for me. An Ipad may be out of my future now. Since a single movie would be nearly a whole months worth on a data plan and I intend to use it mainly for movies and web surfing, this does not bode well.

Thanks for the info though.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
The unlimited plan was $30 back when the iPad first came out in April. AT&T found that iPad owners were using lots of bandwidth so dropped the unlimited plan in June. Course those who already had the unlimited plan were allowed to keep it but new owners could only get the $15 plan (250mb) or the $25 plan (2gb). movies that you stream will eat up your data plan quickly. Downloaded movies are big files too. Best done when you are in wifi area. But for Internet surfing, email, the $25 plan would probably do just fine for you. I have the $15 plan as my iPad is used mainly at home but love the convenience of having Internet capability when out on the road. Great for google maps etc.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #5
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
That really depends of you usses

Quote:
Keep in mind I intend to surf like a mad man so I expect to be an excessive bandwidth user.
Surf only ? Do you mean to stream video or music ? The last two being where you really explode the data usage.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2011, 11:10 AM   #6
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
That really depends of you usses

Surf only ? Do you mean to stream video or music ? The last two being where you really explode the data usage.
It has been my experience with both the iPhone and iPad, that unless you are streaming audio or video, it is pretty easy to stay under the $15 limit.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Web surfing really doesn't use that much data. I am with O2 in the UK and have a 1GB allowance for £10 (about $15) a month. I have never used more than 300MB in a month, and I'm using my iPad pretty much all day, every day, for web browsing and e-mail.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
Stefx
Enthusiast
Stefx began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
In Canada it's 35usd for 5Gig per month.
I use way more than 250MB, but never exceeded 5gig
Stefx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #9
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I only use the 3G if I'm on vacation or something. Getting free WiFi is easy in Nothern Georgia...every McDonalds, all the Malls and book stores have it. Plus I have it at home and work. Since I've had my iPad I used the 3G options only for 2 months since April 2010.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:44 AM   #10
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I do tethering!

I do tethering!

My new iPad is wifi only but my Galaxy Tab has a 3G month to month plan with Tmobile: 30 dollars (with taxes) and unlimited data plan. I found the GT being a perfect travel companion for my Kindle 3 wifi or even iPad.

I did not choose the iPad 3G because the available AT&T options are too expensive and restrictive, in my opinion. Also, I bought it with my couch and house's Internet on my mind, not planning to take it out for long trips. If that happens, tethering is my Plan B.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I don't have one but the telus web site says $20 a month for 500 mb Additional data (in Canada) will be charged at 5¢/MB, up to a maximum of $30 of overage per month.
Maximum allowed data usage per month will be 5GB.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:40 PM   #12
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

don't ya love a device claimed to be for media consumption combined with an antique model for 3G bandwidth? One or two HD movies and you blow through the cap on a 2GB plan.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #13
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I still have my unlimited 3G plan for the iPad at $29.99 a month, but haven't changed more from laziness than need-according to my Usage meter I use maybe 1G a month.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
Mrgauth
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
don't ya love a device claimed to be for media consumption combined with an antique model for 3G bandwidth? One or two HD movies and you blow through the cap on a 2GB plan.

Agree. That's why I am considering the Xoom. Faster, more memory, same size and $20 a month unlimited. $599 with 2 year plan with Verizon.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I haven't really looked at the Xoom's data plan. I know it's Verizon and I've had good luck with there data service in the past with great symmetric speeds as high as 4-5Mbps. Of course that was when there were few smartphones and lots of unused bandwidth.

But today I would look at the "unlimited" limits. My bet is there is "unlimited" web browsing and any file transfer is subject to limits on bandwidth used for "data". And once you hit a certain threshold on the "unlimited" plan your connections are throttled and/or there are additional costs. Last time I looked at some of these unlimited plans there were some pretty tricky word-games being played. I would be curious about what Verizon defines as "unlimited" these days. Still ya have to have something to make the thing worth using when out and about especially if you travel places where I do and there are usually zero wifi options but plenty of 3G towers.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote