Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 01-09-2010, 02:32 AM   #1
RootlessAgrarian
Enthusiast
RootlessAgrarian is on a distinguished road

Device: HANLIN V3
Question Hanlin Jinke v3 and fonts: epub?

So.... what if I'd like to read an old-fashioned novel in an old-fashioned typeface like Caslon or Goudy Old Style?

So far I have managed to discover that .ttf fonts can be placed in the /fonts directory on the SD card. They do indeed become available in the Settings/Fonts menu. However, selecting a font does not appear to have any effect on any epub book I try to read.

I see some disturbing language in online discussions of Hanlin font substitution, like "PDFs and epub docs have their own font path" but so far I have not discovered where that path might be.

Does anyone know where I could put ttf fonts so that the Hanlin (currently with Tirwal firmware) can use them for reading epubs? or do epubs come with their own embedded fonts which cannot be overriden?

inquiring minds...
RootlessAgrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 08:01 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!

So at present you can use your own fonts for ePubs but only by modifying each ePub individually (easy to do with Calibre, but still a pain). At some point this might be possible without modifying each ePub, but that will require updated firmware.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
RootlessAgrarian
Enthusiast
RootlessAgrarian is on a distinguished road

Device: HANLIN V3
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See Fonts and Epub - What works on Sony, Works for Pocket Pro too!

So at present you can use your own fonts for ePubs but only by modifying each ePub individually (easy to do with Calibre, but still a pain). At some point this might be possible without modifying each ePub, but that will require updated firmware.
Thanks very much for the thread reference! it explains everything. I think I'll wait for Jinke to get a clue and offer a font override for epub docs -- too much of a PITA to be editing CSS and transferring SD card back and forth, back and forth just to see whether I like font A better than font B.

I notice that Calibre's builtin viewer has serious -- very serious -- justification issues when fonts other than default are selected.

And I remain rather irritated by Jinke's offering 9 zoom levels of which only the first one is actually useful! I keep writing to them about this but so far no response. In the epubs I am viewing, zoom level Default is too tiny, zoom level 2 (small) is just about OK, and zoom level 3 is already way too big. From then on it just gets absurd, until one character fills the whole screen at zoom level 9. What were they thinking?

I have loaded Tirwal's firmware and so far am not sure in what way it's an improvement over Jinke's. It seems cosmetically a little prettier but no extra features that I have as yet discovered. Maybe this is because I am reading epubs rather than other formats that Tirwal supports better than Jinke?

Thanks to everyone so far, btw, for your patient answers to my dumb-n00b questions.
RootlessAgrarian is offline   Reply With Quote