Notices

Old 06-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #466
Project
Enthusiast
Project began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
Copy these two files to the folder /home/user/desktop/, that you will have the shortcuts of shutdown and suspend.
Thanks a lot AlanMC, it's a good thing to have the possibility of suspend from the desktop, but still I would like to do this from one button on the device so, if'm reading an ebook, I can just suspend it and than take over from where I left, without wasting time going to the desktop.

Regards

Project
Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #467
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
Change the openbox keybindings.

I just started to look at this -- it's not enough for what I want to do, but it will solve your problem.

Right now, Smart has configured the power button to launch coman, which is the program you see when you touch the power button.

The config file is /home/user/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml. There is a section called <keyboard> that has what you need to change.

Look for :
Code:
<keybind key="XF86PowerOff">
  <action name="Execute">
    <startupnotify>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
        <name>coman</name>
    </startupnotify>
    <command>coman</command>
  </action>
</keybind>
Change it to:
Code:
<keybind key="XF86PowerOff">
  <action name="Execute">
    <startupnotify>
      <enabled>true</enabled>
        <name>Suspend</name>
    </startupnotify>
    <command>sudo pm-suspend</command>
  </action>
</keybind>
Now when you press the power button, the device will suspend.

If you find it is happening by accident a lot -- you keep unintentionally pressing the button -- add the following line:

Code:
<prompt>Suspend Device?</prompt>
below the <command> line. It will ask you if you want to suspend.

You can still power off from the normal menu, and you can still configure the touchscreen with Alt-Power.

I'm not an openbox guy, but that should work.

Now, does anyone know how to make keymaps? I want to globally configure Alt-Esc as F11. Help!

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:20 PM   #468
wwang
Connoisseur
wwang began at the beginning.

Device: Palm TX SmartQ 7
I was trying to set the time. When you do, I seem to be set to a different time zone. Anyone know where I shoudl be looking to set my local timezone offset so that if I sync with the server, it sets my time correctly?
wwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #469
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwang View Post
I was trying to set the time. When you do, I seem to be set to a different time zone. Anyone know where I shoudl be looking to set my local timezone offset so that if I sync with the server, it sets my time correctly?
To check you timezone use evilvte and type

date

this will show you the full date, time, and timezone.

Now to change the timezone type

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

and walk through selecting e.g. America then tab to OK then select the city in your time zone then tab to OK. Now your time zone is changed
(info courtesy of jmaky2k at ill-logix.com)
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:27 PM   #470
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
OK Mobilereaders,

A few of you have now been playing with Q7s for a while. A short while, admittedly but you have been finding out all sorts of things. So now I'm just curious...

Overall, was this a good purchase? As a reader firstly, then all the other extras as secondary perks. Does it still feel good and sturdy? Comfy to sit and read with for and hour or so (that's the most I ever get)?

It's the end of the month, and if the general consensus is still as positive as it was when this unit came to our attention, it's time to pull the trigger!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 08:47 PM   #471
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmon65 View Post
OK Mobilereaders,

A few of you have now been playing with Q7s for a while. A short while, admittedly but you have been finding out all sorts of things. So now I'm just curious...

Overall, was this a good purchase? As a reader firstly, then all the other extras as secondary perks. Does it still feel good and sturdy? Comfy to sit and read with for and hour or so (that's the most I ever get)?

It's the end of the month, and if the general consensus is still as positive as it was when this unit came to our attention, it's time to pull the trigger!
It's a pretty good reader, but it does have its flaws.

A lot of stuff still has to be done from the command line, which is normal for Linux but simply wrong for a handheld device. Suspend doesn't work; this is very irritating because I want instant on. FBReader doesn't do bookmarks, dictionary lookup or support all html tags.

But then again, FBReader is still adequate. And the Q7 does have a decent browser and Wifi. Right now it's fairly usable, and I'm confident that it will be more so in the future.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #472
dmon65
Connoisseur
dmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enoughdmon65 will become famous soon enough

Device: SmartQ7, a 1st gen Nook and a Kobo Glo and Aura H2O
Thank you, Nate! For the quick response and the tons of info you've shared here.

I live with Ubuntu daily on my laptop and desktop machines so the command line isn't an issue. I wouldn't get this unit for my 65 year old, semi-technical father (email is still a bit confusing sometimes) but looking at dot files and modifying conf files doesn't really worry me.

I'm still interested in what everyone thinks of the physical side of the Q7. Is it comfortable in the hands for extended reading times? And how is the responsiveness of the touch screen?

I think it's a done deal anyway, but over-research is my middle name (it is hyphenated)!

Thanks again!
dmon65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 04:02 AM   #473
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Device: SmartQ 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Suspend doesn't work; this is very irritating because I want instant on.
What probs are you having with suspend ? I (luckily) don't appear to have this problem or the WiFi & Bluetooth problems that others have mentioned (as yet) Problem is, it's hard to tell what version of the firmware we all have so its makes comparisons difficult. Does anyone know yet how to tell what version is loaded ?
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 AM   #474
imaredr
Collector
imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.imaredr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
What probs are you having with suspend ? I (luckily) don't appear to have this problem or the WiFi & Bluetooth problems that others have mentioned (as yet) Problem is, it's hard to tell what version of the firmware we all have so its makes comparisons difficult. Does anyone know yet how to tell what version is loaded ?
What Bluetooth devices have you connected? I was able to pair my Motorola S-9 headset, but SMplayer did recognize it. Thanks.

Ellen
imaredr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #475
AlanMc
Enthusiast
AlanMc began at the beginning.

Device: SmartQ7
The smartQ has released the new firmware v4.0 today. But advise all the user don't refresh it immediately if your device is no problem now. Because I found in the chinese forums that a lot user whom refresh this version still complain that it still has many bug not solved.
AlanMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #476
Project
Enthusiast
Project began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
The smartQ has released the new firmware v4.0 today. But advise all the user don't refresh it immediately if your device is no problem now. Because I found in the chinese forums that a lot user whom refresh this version still complain that it still has many bug not solved.
A few days ago eletro world wrote me about a new 3.1 firmware, yet to be released. This is a quote from their e-mail:

Quote:
i suggest you don't upgrade V3.0 now
*pls wait for V3.1 firmware ,**it will *be better stability and slove the problem about wifi.*
So what about this supposed V3.1 version? has it ever been released?

regards

Project
Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #477
gen
Enthusiast
gen began at the beginning.

Device: 200LX
Yup.. there is the firmware version 4.0 from smartdevices

http://www.smartdevices.com.cn/files/SmartQ7-v4.0.rar

from that link, we can find v3.0 but there isn't a v3.1.

maybe eletroworld were thinking the next version would be v3.1 but smartdevices naming convention jumps to v4.0 as the next public release.

Last edited by gen; 07-03-2009 at 10:25 AM.
gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:23 AM   #478
AlanMc
Enthusiast

Here is the changes and new features of v4.0

Increased support for multi-system restart
Increasing WCDMA data card support
Increase in TDS-CDMA data card support
CDMA2000 EVDO data cards to increase support
Increase in dial-up adapter and the 3G service provider selection
Optional firmware upgrade to increase when the partition function to retain user profile
Open the Bluetooth Manager to increase the Bluetooth will be placed in the search state
Optimized soft keyboard, an automatic pop-up keyboard to improve the response speed and accuracy
SmartQ 7 amendments to the problem of unable to open the Bluetooth
Amendment to re-Plug SD card and sometimes the system will not respond to the question of
Smplayer amended in the English system or the issue of Chinese language interface shows
Amendments may sometimes be prompted to boot time errors gtk theme
Fixed can not install software
Touch-screen simulation of the amendment will be issued a right-left-click the problem of the incident
Soft keyboard settings can not be amended to preserve the issue of
Amendments to the occasional touch-screen click on the events may no longer respond to the question of
Amendment to upgrade the firmware upgrade process of the progress of 10 percent from 7 percent jump to the problem
Amended in PCManFM authority was unable to obtain the root of the problem
When the SD card inserted, it will be / var / apt / cache to the SD card, install the software in order to prevent the system from the root filling
Upgraded to optimize the speed of the first boot and shutdown speed
Old 07-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #479
AlanMc
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen View Post
Yup.. there is the firmware version 4.0 from smartdevices

http://www.smartdevices.com.cn/files/SmartQ7-v4.0.rar

from that link, we can find v3.0 but there isn't a v3.1.

maybe eletroworld were thinking the next version would be v3.1 but smartdevices naming convention jumps to v4.0 as the next public release.
Yes, the Smartdevices wanted to release a version of v3.1 to fix the bluetooth bug before. But now the chinese version Wince image will be release in these days, so they jump to v4.0. It said that the v4.0 support for multi-system to start.

I have just refresh the v4.0. The bluetooth work now, but I can't find any change between the v3.0.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #480
alexq
alexq began at the beginning.

Device: smart q7
i love SmartQ 7
alexq is offline   Reply With Quote