Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-14-2009, 07:57 AM   #46
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

Device: iPhone
Man, you bloomin well aced this!
It's working fantastically on my website already (must implement some security - can u say 'webrabbit'?)

Just 1 comment. You say 'books by category' where you've actually used 'tags' and category is a different concept within stanza. Perhaps rename category to tag, and then rename series to category (feels like a more direct mapping)

PS: You're code is cool; looks like a lot of work went into this.
ChrisZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:00 AM   #47
ChrisZA
Enthusiast
ChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enoughChrisZA will become famous soon enough

PS: My only nice-to-have suggestion is that series actually create categories in stanza. I saw something from kovidgoyal that covered CreateCategory functionality in stanza.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #48
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I was thinking of leaving things as they are at the browse level, but making the series appear as a category tag when you look at the book metadata. This would cause stanza to treat it as a category when the book is downloaded. Perhaps something like "Series:SeriesName" so that it is obviously a series, and then leave the current tag->category mapping in place as well.

I might go off and play with that - it should be easy enough to add a tweak on the current code. Having said that I think it may be harder than I thought - but still worth checking out.

Last edited by itimpi; 03-14-2009 at 08:18 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:16 AM   #49
ChrisZA
Enthusiast

Cross post from other thread, but worth putting here for the record:
Quote:
The REAL benefit in this script is as follows:
Downloading a whole library to stanza is a ball-ache of note. But one would do it to gain the benefit of clicking 'subject' and getting an organised list. Now, your online storage is thusly sorted, and even more so. This means that you do not need to download to iPhone any more, but can keep the catalog online and just download 1 book at a time for reading, then delete when finished. Niiiiiiice! Gonna add to my iPhone 101...
Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #50
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Been looking at the possibilities of chaning series to categories in Stanza. It turns out it cannot be done at the XML catalog level, but needs to be stored in the ePub book as metadta during conversion. Therefore for this to happen it would have to be something that was put into the ePub conversion code - and would probably need to be made optional for those who did not want it.

If you really want this as a feature, I suggest that you raise it as a ticket for Kovid to look at. I am personally less concerned as I can always look at the online catalog information.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:32 PM   #51
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
This part, I think, might be better requested from Lexcycle/Stanza. Looked at the epub files Calibre generates and the opf contains the following tags:
Code:
        <series>Artemis Fowl</series>
        <series_index>4</series_index>
A separate entry for "Series" on the main library page is better than cluttering up the "Subjects" entry. I think it would be simple enough for Lexcycle to parse this information and add a separate category. Will suggest it on their website.

Is the <series> tag standard in epub or is it just something html2epub adds?

Oh yeah, itimpi, I hope you don't mind but I'm currently playing around with server.py trying to figure out how to integrate hierarchical listings in Calibre. Not sure if anything will come of it. I'm somewhat hopeless when it comes to programming.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-14-2009 at 01:46 PM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #52
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
series and series_index are not part of the OPF spec, in fact in newer versions of calibre, this behavior has changed, now series and series_index information is available as follows:

Code:
<meta name="calibre:series" content="Artemis Fowl" />
<meta name="calibre:series_index" content="4" />
This is compliant with the OPF spec
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #53
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Well, if the OPF spec has no provisions for it, then Lexcycle might not go for it. You'd think the creators of the spec would have thought to include it...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #54
ki5ck
Connoisseur
ki5ck began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Note3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZA View Post
Your iPhone crashing with large lists is probably related to memory. Use free memtool (only on jailbreak cydia I'm afraid) to clear up 20Mb of memory. It's a common issue in app dev; works for you, crashes for everyone else. Especially Jailbroken phones as these invariably have background apps added (sbs settings, intelliscreen, dialers, quicksms, WINTERBOARD!, etc)
I haven't had a problem with mine crashing; but my list is only about 1200 books. Anyway, there is a free memory app in the app store now, for those who don't want to jailbreak. It's pretty useful for other memory hogging programs (like logmein).
ki5ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:36 PM   #55
jlbarr
jlbarr began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, ipod touch
Script failing on Series

I am using Calibre version 0.5.1 and when I run the script I get the below error. Is anyone else using 0.5.1 with this?

Calibre2Web v0.7
Catalog Path is 'K:\My Library\'
Creating Catlog files in 'K:\My Library\_CATALOGS'
Clearing existing catalog folder
Loading initial recordsets
Creating Recent Additions catalogs
DONE
Creating Author catalog files
DONE
Creating Series catalog files
K:\My Library\Calibre2Web.vbs(328, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: Variable
is undefined: 'rsSseries'
jlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 03:09 PM   #56
itimpi
Wizard

The variable name on line 328 of the script should be rsSeries (i.e. one less 's' in the name). However I do not understand how it got there mispelt as it is correct in my version, but on checking the one I have just downloaded from the forum it does have the mispelt name.

I wonder why no-one else has reported it! I will get it fixed and upload a new version as 0.8.

In the meantime, the Calibre2Web.vbs file is a simple text file so you can correct the problem using a standard editor such as Notepad.

Last edited by itimpi; 03-16-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #57
jlbarr
jlbarr began at the beginning.

Device: NookColor, ipod touch
Thanks,

That fixed it.
jlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:54 AM   #58
martizzle
martizzle began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
i have created the xml files from calibre2web, but what comes after....as in do i just ftp all the epub files n the xml/catalog files to my website? (I'm trying to host books on my website, so I can dwnload on the go)...and what is the webpage i go to on stanza?
- Step-by-step would be nice....(and i dont know webservers/etc...i was planning on using a simple ftp to get the files to my website
martizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:35 AM   #59
itimpi
Wizard

Which step do you not understand from the README.TXT file? I can expand it for any future releases if I know.

For getting files onto the web site, the relevant section is the one on "Preparing Your Web Site". I have not included explicit instructions on how to transfer the book files and generated files generated in the _CATALOG folder as they will vary according to how you maintain your web site. FTP is a perfectly normal way to do this, but not the only way. The only thing that may not be clear is the _CATALOG folder and contents has to be at the same location as the Folders copied across from the Calibre Library location.

The next section on "Adding the Catalog to the iPhone/iTouch" tells you the format of the URL to set up under Online Catalogs in Stanza the iPhone/iTouch.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #60
martizzle
martizzle began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
got it...man i'm slow lol
thnx
martizzle is offline   Reply With Quote