Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i'm not sure how well i can explain this but for instance where the Inspector Rebus mysteries are bleak, Elizabeth George's books are sordid.
That's a very good way of putting it and, although I don't entirely agree with you, I do understand what you mean. The "baddies" in the Rebus books are generally "straightforward" violent criminals, but Elizabeth George tends to have characters who are mentally disturbed rather than merely "criminal". I do find them disturbing books to read.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM   #32
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I've read a lot of James Hadley Chase at one time. Manybooks has one book from him.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:51 AM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I've read a lot of James Hadley Chase at one time. Manybooks has one book from him.

I put together two of them, available here on MobileRead.

Chase, James Hadey: 12 Chinamen And A Woman. v1.0 13 July 07

Chase, James Hadley: No Orchids For Miss Blandish. v1, 16 Sept 2008

Enjoy.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:32 PM   #34
CO'Neil
Enthusiast
CO'Neil doesn't litterCO'Neil doesn't litter

Device: PRS500
on paper, but still worth a read

One of my favorite detectives is Zoot Marlowe, in Mel Gilden's Surfing Samurai Robots, Hawaiian UFO Aliens, &c., but apparently they are not yet available in e-book form.
CO'Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #35
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
ah, but they are available on my bookcase. funny books, a hint of sci-fi, some fantasy, humor and even detecting!

i love the second one - there's an homage to a local l.a. restaurant in it, right down to a particular waiter. the restaurant is now a lingerie club but it lives on with zoot and the surfers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO'Neil View Post
One of my favorite detectives is Zoot Marlowe, in Mel Gilden's Surfing Samurai Robots, Hawaiian UFO Aliens, &c., but apparently they are not yet available in e-book form.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:33 AM   #36
DoctorH
DoctorH began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Don't overlook Freeman Wills Crofts who wrote a lot of detective stories in the 1920s and 30s. I think there is only one on Manybooks: The Pit-Prop Syndicate (1922).
DoctorH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #37
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
thanks for the recommend. it's also his only book on gutenberg. funny thing is he wrote 2 books before it - wouldn't those also be out of copyright?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorH View Post
Don't overlook Freeman Wills Crofts who wrote a lot of detective stories in the 1920s and 30s. I think there is only one on Manybooks: The Pit-Prop Syndicate (1922).
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 AM   #38
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
thanks for the recommend. it's also his only book on gutenberg. funny thing is he wrote 2 books before it - wouldn't those also be out of copyright?
Certainly, but, regretably, not every out of copyright book is currently on PG .
Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 PM   #39
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
If you like Early PD James and Ruth Rendell's Wexford novels then you may well enjoy Dorothy Simpson's detective novels.
It's also worth mentioning Peter Robinson's atmospheric Yorkshire detective series.
On your recommendation I have now read the first two Inspector Banks books by Peter Robinson and the first Thanet book by Dorothy Simpson (I am currently reading the second one) and I liked them a lot. Just wanted to say that this was good recommendations

I am currently watching the Jack Frost TV-series so it reminded me of R.D. Wingfield's books about Jack Frost which I really can recommend. I have read all of them twice. Unfortunately there is only five of them.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 10:14 PM   #40
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I'm glad that you liked them, tompe.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:47 AM   #41
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I am currently watching the Jack Frost TV-series so it reminded me of R.D. Wingfield's books about Jack Frost which I really can recommend. I have read all of them twice. Unfortunately there is only five of them.
Although I'm a fan of the TV series, I must admit that I've not read the books. I'll have to give them a go!
Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 PM   #42
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Thumbs up

Thanks for so many great recommendations, everybody - lots more to peruse!

Right now I'm reading Wilkie Collins' The Moonstone, which is available here. It's 19th century, an early entry in the genre, and very delightful so far. (Thanks, Harry!)
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:13 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm going to have to recommend Tess Gerritsen. I've read four of her books so far and loved them. She has a way about her writing that makes you want to keep reading. And her characters see quite real.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #44
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
I also have enjoyed lots of Rankin, Ellery Queen, Reginald Hill and Agathie Christie books. I'd also recommend Lawrence Block (Eight Million Ways To Die) and Michael Connelly (Black Echo) and Jonathan Kellerman (Silent Partner).
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 02:37 PM   #45
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Are any of the Ellery Queen books available as ebooks yet? I've read some in the past (have 5 in hard cover though two are currently awol and probably packed away somewhere) and have always enjoyed them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
Ellery Queen: Early novels are reminiscent of the "Philo Vance" books, later ones less dry, although variable in style and quality.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mystery