Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Forum chat: use of 1 or 2 MR books as test ebooks for (potential) resolution of softw

My aim in starting this thread is to try and find a protocol for 'testing' firmware / software problems that users may have when reading their Epubs on their Kobo device. (At the outset I say that without doubt there would be many ways to test problems - I'm merely starting with my idea. Please add your ideas and comments.)

When I had problems with a bookmark not returning me to the correct page after I exited the book and returned, I floundered for ways to identify any solutions for myself and I it still didn't replicate when I 'shared' the problem with another member by giving him my database to duplicate it.

It wasn't until I asked others if they would download a particular MR (free) Epub, then identify my settings so that others could replicate the problem, that Davidfor could solve it.

That is the protocol that I suggest could be used for other problems that members report - that is - a MR Epub be downloaded on the testers devices and the member with the problem's device; and settings shared and posted.

The limitations I see (there will be more I haven't identified):

- not all issues will be able to be replicated using a common MR Epub because for example the problem relates to screen damage, pixel damage etc;

- the problem relates only to the Epub book purchased by the member. However, that may not become known until completion of 'testing' using a common MR Epub;

- the problem is a hardware issue.

What do you think of this idea .....
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

One of the trial books I suggest is:

A Thousand miles Up the Nile, Amelia B Edwards

This ebook was formatted by Harry T.

This particular book has many features including:

diagrams / illustrations

dense text

footnotes

etc

However, it's the testers who will need to decide which MR books best suit their purposes.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:25 AM   #3
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Good idea
Having the same book and the same settings is definitely the way to see if the issues can be replicated and if they're hardware related.
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
As far as I can tell, all the settings are stored in ".kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf". So it may be as simple as copying this file between devices to replicate the settings (rather than changing each setting individually). So if people attach this file to their initial query it may allow others to replicate their device settings.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Some settings also get placed into the database. If you do share the settings I would also suggest limiting it to the bits that are non personal; so maybe just the [Reading] section
Code:
[Reading]
numPartialUpdatePageTurns=6
pageTurningOption=default
readingAdobeShowPageNumbers=false
readingAlignment=
readingFontFamily=Georgia
readingFontSize=32
readingFontWeight\Georgia=@Variant(\0\0\0\x87<\xa3\xd7\n)
readingLeftMargin=6
readingLineHeight=1.3
readingPublisherMode=true
readingRightMargin=6
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #6
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
One of the trial books I suggest is:

A Thousand miles Up the Nile, Amelia B Edwards

This ebook was formatted by Harry T.

This particular book has many features including:

diagrams / illustrations

dense text

footnotes

etc

However, it's the testers who will need to decide which MR books best suit their purposes.
Thanks for the link. I downloaded it, just to see how nicely it is formatted etc.

I think a lot of the misconceptions, disagreements, etc, may be reduced by the methods you suggest. Good idea!
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #7
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just added the book to my KT. Good example, yes.

One thing - probably best to recommend it is added manually by copying the file to the ereader filesystem. My first inclination was to put it in Calibre then use calibre to load it. Then I thought, Calibre may change some of the formatting - and that invalidate any tests done using the book.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:45 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Just added the book to my KT. Good example, yes.

One thing - probably best to recommend it is added manually by copying the file to the ereader filesystem. My first inclination was to put it in Calibre then use calibre to load it. Then I thought, Calibre may change some of the formatting - and that invalidate any tests done using the book.
Firstly, calibre won't change the formatting unless you tell it to. The formatting will change by a conversion started either manually or when sending a format to a device that doesn't support it. In this case, it won't do that. Calibre will always update the metadata in the book the latest version.

Having said that, keeping calibre out of this is a good idea. It reduces the number of possible differences between everyone's set up.

The book Lynx has suggested is good for testing. But, it has fixed line spacing and justifies the text. It might be an idea to find examples that don't do these things. The only other problem with it is that I have absolutely no desire to read it. But, that might be a good thing as I won't get distracted when testing things with it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:24 AM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Here's a link to a simpler Epub book in terms of formatting + it's humorous

Right Ho Jeeves, Wodehouse

It was formatted by Hatgirl.

There are many MR edition Epubs, so it's quite a lucky dip
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Here's a link to a simpler Epub book in terms of formatting + it's humorous

Right Ho Jeeves, Wodehouse

It was formatted by Hatgirl.

There are many MR edition Epubs, so it's quite a lucky dip
I'd be wary about using Wodehouse - remember that his work is NOT in the public domain in life+70 countries.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #11
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Firstly, calibre won't change the formatting unless you tell it to. The formatting will change by a conversion started either manually or when sending a format to a device that doesn't support it. In this case, it won't do that. Calibre will always update the metadata in the book the latest version.
So those changes that were discussed a while back, like the filter to remove margins, don't get applied if I just add an epub to Calibre and send it to my device? I somehow thought it would do the processing before sending it to my device.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:45 AM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd be wary about using Wodehouse - remember that his work is NOT in the public domain in life+70 countries.
Point taken
Old 01-26-2013, 04:20 AM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
So those changes that were discussed a while back, like the filter to remove margins, don't get applied if I just add an epub to Calibre and send it to my device? I somehow thought it would do the processing before sending it to my device.
Those changes will only happen if you do a conversion. The Modify ePub plugin can also do some useful things. But, neither are used when sending a compatible format to a device.

I'd probably better add a disclaimer:

Only metadata is changed when sending a compatible format to a Kobo device. It is possible that other drivers do different things for other devices.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:43 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Only metadata is changed when sending a compatible format to a Kobo device. It is possible that other drivers do different things for other devices.
No, that's the way it works for all devices. The only time an automatic conversion will take place is if the format required for the device is not present in the library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 AM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, that's the way it works for all devices. The only time an automatic conversion will take place is if the format required for the device is not present in the library.
There is provision for the drivers to fiddle with the books after any necessary conversion. A lot fiddle with the file names separately to what the save template is. And I am sure that while I was doing the Kobo driver last year that I saw code in a driver to make changes to all books being sent.