Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-05-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Top 15 Features of the Samsung Galaxy S III

Aside from the hardware specs, I had a hard time figuring out what new features where added to the GSIII. This article did a good job listing the new features.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:52 AM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Let us hope our friendly neighborhood hackers at Xda-developers will be able to port some of these soon to other devices.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Aside from the hardware specs, I had a hard time figuring out what new features where added to the GSIII. This article did a good job listing the new features.
Any idea what the battery life is like? That CPU and screen are going to be pretty brutal on the battery.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 10:32 AM   #4
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Any idea what the battery life is like? That CPU and screen are going to be pretty brutal on the battery.
The CPU is supposed to be more energy efficient than a 2-core one. Best guess is that you will get through a full day with moderate to heavy usage quite easily --- as you can with most phones now. And 2100 is quite a good size battery.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:

=X=
Thanks for the link. On a side note, the North American version won't be quad-core, it will use the Snapdragon S4 from Qualcomm, as there is no LTE integrated solution on the Exynos chip. Although only dual core, the S4 is based on the new A15 architecture and 28nm process, so it compares favourably with the A9 quad-cores.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Samsung has stated it should "Get you through the day with heavy usage".

No doubt the CPU/Screen are going to be battery hogs but Samsung is using a 28nm chip technology and upping the battery to 2100mA that should counter some of the energy demands.

On the market the closest device with the same specs is the HTC One X (same screen size, resolution, CPU(4)). Currently most folks are reporting getting that the One X easily gets them through the day with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Thanks for the link. On a side note, the North American version won't be quad-core, it will use the Snapdragon S4 from Qualcomm, as there is no LTE integrated solution on the Exynos chip. Although only dual core, the S4 is based on the new A15 architecture and 28nm process, so it compares favourably with the A9 quad-cores.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:27 PM   #7
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
No doubt the CPU/Screen are going to be battery hogs but Samsung is using a 28nm chip technology and upping the battery to 2100mA that should counter some of the energy demands.
It is actually 32nm. Source.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

My bad
Old 05-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Samsung has stated it should "Get you through the day with heavy usage".

On the market the closest device with the same specs is the HTC One X (same screen size, resolution, CPU(4)). Currently most folks are reporting getting that the One X easily gets them through the day with.
And the HTC actually has a smaller battery (1850 vs 2100), and a faster CPU (1.5 vs 1.4). But apparently it took a software upgrade to get good battery life. So you should get a full day easily on this baby. Both the One X and this guy are winners.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:35 AM   #10
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'm digging the idea of the 50GB of Dropbox space.

I'm intrigued by the "smart stay" feature. It's not something that I've really thought about when reading on my phone, but now that I look back, I'll admit that time-out can bother every now and again.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 AM   #11
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
I'm digging the idea of the 50GB of Dropbox space.

I'm intrigued by the "smart stay" feature. It's not something that I've really thought about when reading on my phone, but now that I look back, I'll admit that time-out can bother every now and again.
The smart stay feature is nice but no biggie. I have a big button on my home screen now that lets me toggle "screen always on" off and on.

As for the SMS to phone feature, it actually makes me worried that it could possibly dial out even when I don't want it to. Depends on how sensitive this is.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
As for the SMS to phone feature, it actually makes me worried that it could possibly dial out even when I don't want it to. Depends on how sensitive this is.
You must be the only person in the world that texts with the phone to your face

Right now there are similar motion sensors. If you notice when you put the phone to your face the screen turns off. I've yet to see the screen turn off on me accidentally.

Honestly, I feel a little lazy for saying this, this is one of the feature I found intriguing, I can't tell you how many times I've called somebody after reading their text. One less step to contact that person is just that much sweeter.

=X=
Old 05-07-2012, 04:50 PM   #13
Shirohane
Enthusiast
Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shirohane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nook Tablet
Quote:
I'm not very familiar with these kinds of motion sensors but I can see accidentally dialing out as an issue if it decides to detect your palm as the side of your face.

My friend had issues of accidentally hanging up a call because his face touched the screen.

Last edited by Shirohane; 05-08-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Left out a word...
Shirohane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:

Right now there are similar motion sensors. If you notice when you put the phone to your face the screen turns off. I've yet to see the screen turn off on me accidentally.

Honestly, I feel a little lazy for saying this, this is one of the feature I found intriguing, I can't tell you how many times I've called somebody after reading their text. One less step to contact that person is just that much sweeter.

=X=
You obviously haven't reached that certain age yet, when you take your glasses off and hold things up to your face for reading....

Not saying it would actually happen, but it would be much more serious than the screen turning off accidentally. Well, just a thought, don't let me be the party pooper
Old 05-08-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
You obviously haven't reached that certain age yet, when you take your glasses off and hold things up to your face for reading....
K for you! You had me rolling on this comment