Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 11:45 AM   #1
jackbrown
Enthusiast
jackbrown began at the beginning.

Screen fault, now Irex wants ME to pay for it!

About 11 months into owning my Iliad (which I really liked, despite the fact that newspaper subscriptions never materialized), the screen suddenly developed an odd fault: a single horizontal white line traversing the whole screen near the top. In other words an entire line of pixels stopped flipping white-black as they're supposed to.

I've attached a picture of the fault. (Iliad 00.16.7C.00.OB.E3 closeup.jpg )It was fairly clear to me that this was NOT a problem of the screen being bumped, since a) I've always been careful and b) since it traverses the whole screen in a perfect line, it looks like an electronics problem.

It was surprisingly annoying to read with it, so I returned the Iliad to Irex. Who now tell me that this is somehow the result of a break in the glass substrate due to pressure on the screen. Evidence for which they attach the following picture (bruch2).

Of course the most obvious thing is that the picture in question clearly differs from mine. I guess this is supposed to be the glass substrate underneath after they peel the front of the screen off? I still don't see how the damage shown could possibly have produced the symptom on my screen.

All of this would be sort of irrelevant if they weren't trying to charge me 275 euros for the repair. That's a lot of money. If it was half of that I'd probably just pay after complaining a bit. But instead I am stuck without my Iliad, wondering whether to pay basically the cost of a new reader (from anyone but Irex) to get the thing repaired, when I am kind of doubtful about what they are telling me...

What does the forum think? Does this look like a reasonable explanation on Irex's part? Doesn't 275E seem kind of steep?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iliad 00.16.7C.00.OB.E3 closeup.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	639.0 KB
ID:	7376   Click image for larger version

Name:	bruch2.JPG
Views:	836
Size:	67.0 KB
ID:	7377  
jackbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 11:58 AM   #2
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
The 275 Euros for replacing the screen is not to much, if it has been mishndled. The cost of the actual screen is not far from that price.

I do not know, wether your screen has been broken due to pressure or not. I aggree though, that your initial picture does not indicate a damaged screen, but i am not a technician, so its just my oppinion.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
Tulkas
Enthusiast
Tulkas began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad, CyBook Gen3, iPod Touch, PB 360
Personally, if the issue is just the one line across the screen, I'd keep my cash in my wallet. It seems to me a waste of money repairing an otherwise working device when new eInk products, with better screens (albeit most are 6"), are coming on the market all the time.

But thats from just an eBook-reader's perspective ~ if you use the iLiad's note-taking etc a lot more then perhaps you might have to. What exactly are the yellow arrows supposed to be highlighting?
Tulkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
rincewind
Connoisseur
rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rincewind has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iLiad
I would absolutely rather want a dead line on top of the screen than to shell out 275E for a screen update. I just saw a video presentation of the Amazon Kindle, and while it is no option for me (closed and just a reader), it does seem to be a very nice piece of hw. A somewhat broken display should hold up long enough for a competitor to the iLiad with an 8" vizplex display to get there.

/R
rincewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:44 PM   #5
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
For one, I have no idea what they are trying to tell you with those yellow arrows. Secondly I find this pretty poor sort of support. Yes, I understand that a company cannot replace devices that get damaged by improper use. And yes, I understand that iRex might not have the means to be as generous as one would wish.

Yet, if there is no apparent misuse of the device, if the technology used is so prone to being defective ... shouldn't some sort of 'in dubio pro reo' be the guideline for a company like iRex? I.e. they should simply replace it and take some pride in making a customer that was willing shell out so much money for the device happy.

To me, this is just another forum entry that keeps me from buying the Iliad. I have seen way to many people report similar things (that is, having hardware issues and / or iRex being not all too generous when it comes to support) both here and on iRex's own forums.

They might get the 275 Euroes from you (if at all), but they sure won't get my 649 Euroes if reports like this one keep popping up.
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:14 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashalan View Post
Yet, if there is no apparent misuse of the device, if the technology used is so prone to being defective ... shouldn't some sort of 'in dubio pro reo' be the guideline for a company like iRex? I.e. they should simply replace it and take some pride in making a customer that was willing shell out so much money for the device happy.
I'm sorry for the original poster, but let's face it, iRex' technicians are the people best qualified to judge whether a screen fault is down to an electrical fault or a mechanical fracture, even if the damage was entirely inadvertent and the person may not have been aware of it. You say "in dubio pro reo" but perhaps in this case, to the technicians there was no "dubio".

Many peoples' house insurance allows them to make claims for accidental damage of this type.

I don't believe that the iLiad is any more prone to mechanical damage than other devices of this type. They do, however, have a glass substrate to the screen and need to be handled with a reasonable amount of delicacy.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:31 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't believe that the iLiad is any more prone to mechanical damage than other devices of this type. They do, however, have a glass substrate to the screen and need to be handled with a reasonable amount of delicacy.
I suspect that the bigger the device the more likely it will get broken. At least that is the way it works for my windows.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM   #8
juancarlosleo
juancarlosleo began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
¿Es que nadie ha visto el fondo horriblemente GRIS
juancarlosleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 05:22 PM   #9
juancarlosleo

Con ese fondo, que hace ilegible el texto, a riesgo de perder la vista en pocos meses, yo no entiendo cómo alguien puede preocuparse por unas simples líneas horizontales que no debían estar; es como tener cáncer de huesos y quejarse de un simple catarro.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:32 AM   #10
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
@juancarlosleo: Please write in english. I suspect you are spamming your opinion in threats with different subject.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #11
juancarlosleo

OK Gogolo, My english is ugly.
Have you seen the background color?
No further questions.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Since e-ink uses the same type of matrix under the e-ink that LCD screens use and the single line not working is a common problem with LCD screens, it seems that it is not damage caused by the user. What happens is that one of the row capacitors or transistors stops working and keeps the entire row at a constant color.

To my way of thinking it is a manufacturing defect.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:15 AM   #13
jackbrown
Enthusiast

RWood-that was exactly my thought, and was the reason when I sent it in, I was virtually certain I would not be paying for it. Nevertheless, it seems that Irex has me over a barrel here. I think I am going to pay for the repair even though I suspect they are screwing me.

JuanCarlos-I have to admit that the ridiculously bad contrast ratio between text and background was kind of a shock when I first turned the device on. [JC's analogy for my complaint was along the lines of: complaining about a single white line on a display with such blindingly crappy contrast is akin to complaining about an eye cataract when you've got bone cancer] In bright light though, (which is exactly when laptop screens are worthless) this thing is amazing to read on.

When EInk fixes the contrast and speeds up page flips, this will totally replace reading on computers, I can almost guarantee it.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:11 AM   #14
Karel
iRex Community Manager
Karel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litterKarel doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
Hello jackbrown

The first picture is a line out error (covered within warranty) the second picture looks indeed like there is a crack in the tft layer (not covered within the warranty). I suspect there is maybe a mix up - could you pm me your ticket number via the irex forum -> http://forum.irexnet.com

than i can have a look at it regards

Karel
Karel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 AM   #15
jackbrown
Enthusiast

Well, needless to say I'm very happy to have gotten a positive response from Karel at Irex; this is good customer relations. I will report back here on further developments.