Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 09-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaleigh View Post
I seriously doubt there will be a new hardware release between now and christmas, but a software release is highly probable.
That would be to B&N's disadvantage. They'll lose sales over the holidays. But then again, maybe they want out of the ereader business and only want book sales through apps - nook for Android, nook for Kindle, NOOKstudy, etc.

I haven't see one ad for a nook; yet, I see ads for their apps all over the place. That says a lot about what B&N considers to be important.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #17
Lindca2
Lindca2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Wifi, Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
That would be to B&N's disadvantage. They'll lose sales over the holidays. But then again, maybe they want out of the ereader business and only want book sales through apps - nook for Android, nook for Kindle, NOOKstudy, etc.

I haven't see one ad for a nook; yet, I see ads for their apps all over the place. That says a lot about what B&N considers to be important.
I'm not so sure the lack of a new device will be so bad for Nook. I strongly suspect most new buyers over the holiday season will not be as tech-savvy as folks here on MobileRead. The differences between a Pearl screen and older e-ink screens, etc. will be lost on them. They may order a Kindle because that's the Kleenex of ebook readers. But many will like being able to walk into a store, try out a reader, and buy from a live human being.

That's where B&N could shine if they get their associates properly trained. Most Best Buys aren't going to spend time to train their associates to market the ebook readers. Most--like my local BB--simply will have a few models on display for customers to try out. But no one will pay much attention if the battery goes dead, the unit freezes, etc., and many customers may simply shrug and walk away. Yes, I've read the stories of B&N employees being less than helpful, but most newbies to ebook readers will find them more helpful than an unmanned display with readers that may or may not work.

I won't argue the relative merits of the various ebook readers. I suspect most new buyers will get what's most convenient to get either in person or online rather than methodically comparing specifications. Unless their ebook reader develops problems, most of them will be happy with their purchase. Look at the forums here, composed of mostly well-informed people: whichever reader they got is the one they'll defend as best.
Lindca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:17 PM   #18
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
I totally agree that the nook can hold its own with the unwashed masses in a side-by-side comparison with the moderately upgraded competition. I also agree that that very side-by-side comparison will suffer because no one in department stores knows enuff to keep them charged.

But I most heartily agree with Tubemonkey (and others who say the same) that unless the nook sees some mass marketing effort, it won't matter whether or not the nook comes out with a nook 2, even if it has color eInk touch screen for $49.95.

The only reason I even know the nook exists is because I bought an ereader (technically, received it as a Christmas present) and I frequent MR. The only reason I have visited a BN store in the last 3 years was to check out the nook I heard about on MR.

The only reason I noticed the Sony and nook kiosks in BB is because I read in MR that there were Sony and nooks being sold at BB.

BN really needs to market to more that the folks who come it to buy books.

All that said. I sure would like to see a nook 2 just to see what they would offer as an updated version.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:04 AM   #19
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindca2 View Post
I'm not so sure the lack of a new device will be so bad for Nook. I strongly suspect most new buyers over the holiday season will not be as tech-savvy as folks here on MobileRead. The differences between a Pearl screen and older e-ink screens, etc. will be lost on them.
But the difference in battery life (30 days vs 10 days) and price ($139 vs $149) won't be.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:21 AM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
But the difference in battery life (30 days vs 10 days) and price ($139 vs $149) won't be.
Unless you are shopping around you will not know about that difference. The Nook and Kindle are now cheap enough that some folks will not be worried about shopping around because they feel comfortable spending $150 or less.

Sony is more likely then not screwed. If I see a Sony at BB or Target and I see the price tag, I am likey to think that I need to shop around and make sure that I am getting the best value for my dollar. Given that the Nook and Kindle can do more then the Sony, people are more likely to buy the cheaper but does more Nook or Kindle.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:27 AM   #21
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Unless you are shopping around you will not know about that difference. The Nook and Kindle are now cheap enough that some folks will not be worried about shopping around because they feel comfortable spending $150 or less.
For the battery life, maybe. But not for the price. Even the dumbest shopper knows that $139 is cheaper than $149.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Given that the Nook and Kindle can do more then the Sony, people are more likely to buy the cheaper but does more Nook or Kindle.
That means the Kindle, since it's $10 cheaper than the Nook.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #23
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
For the battery life, maybe. But not for the price. Even the dumbest shopper knows that $139 is cheaper than $149.
Yes, but I think the point is that for many people $10 is not enough a difference to make a decision based on price.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #24
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Yes, but I think the point is that for many people $10 is not enough a difference to make a decision based on price.
Which will lead them to look at the features - battery life, screen resolution, library books, keyboard, touch panel, etc.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #25
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
Quote:
Pearl vs. Vizplex only means something to us here. The Nook has a great screen that shows well up against Pearl. I think the Nook's color and touchscreen will justify the $10 price difference with the Kindle 3. And who is to say that B&N won't be offering gift cards again as incentive, making the "price" less of an issue.

I think the only hope Sony has in the US is the 350. There will be some people willing to pay $180 for the Sony name, pocket-ability, metal build and touchscreen. There will be less people willing to jump to $230 for the 650's larger screen or $300 for the 950's connectivity when the Nook and Kindle 3 are sitting right next to them at Best Buy. In fact, I think the 650 only exists for 500 and 505 owners to upgrade :P
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:11 PM   #26
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Which will lead them to look at the features - battery life, screen resolution, library books, keyboard, touch panel, etc.
Right. Just like me. If the kindle is available in BB or Staples before there is a nook 2, I will get a kindle just because it has landscape mode.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
That assumes that the sales associates can answer questions about those features or that the store info will answer those questions. Without those answers someone is going to make their decision on how the units look and very basic features, like touch screen vs no touch screen.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 12:24 PM   #28
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcao View Post
Right. Just like me. If the kindle is available in BB or Staples before there is a nook 2, I will get a kindle just because it has landscape mode.
I'm still holding out for Nook 2 because of library books. If it weren't for that, I'd get Kindle 3 because it's cheaper, comes in black, and has a longer battery life. I'm hoping Nook 2 will get those features.