Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-12-2010, 12:41 AM   #1
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
which ereader can read scanned pdf like this?

which ereader in store can read scanned pdf like this? i know there are los of devices that can read scanned pdf. but with a lot of hassle and very difficult to read,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	eg.jpg
Views:	2123
Size:	299.9 KB
ID:	56539  
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:02 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
For scanned PDFs, you really need a device whose screen is a close match in size to the original document. The iPad and Kindle DX are the two main contenders in this field at present, alongside the much more expensive Tablet PCs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:30 AM   #3
weateallthepies
Lord of the Pies
weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.weateallthepies is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Sage, Onyx Boox Leaf 2, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
For scanned PDFs, you really need a device whose screen is a close match in size to the original document. The iPad and Kindle DX are the two main contenders in this field at present, alongside the much more expensive Tablet PCs.
Probably worth considering the less expensive netbook tablets which whilst thin in the ground are often cheaper than the iPad.
weateallthepies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:58 AM   #4
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
You could also make them a lot more usable by splitting the pages and trimming the whitespace.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:31 AM   #5
nelson7lim
Connoisseur
nelson7lim began at the beginning.

Device: nook
yeah. but will it be a lot of work?

i dont want to get a net book or something like. i'm looking for a reader, because i have a few nice pdf books and a few scanned copies.
nelson7lim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 05:38 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Then my original recommendation stands: iPad or Kindle DX. Don't get a 6" reader - you'll be disappointed.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I think you could use the pdfmanipulate command from the calibre package to split and crop with little effort required.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #8
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
You can also use papercrop to crop the .. paper Since it's a scanned document you'll have to define the crop areas yourself, which will be very easy if all pages look approximately the same. It can also split the document in many smaller documents in case the file is too big for your ereader.
If you want to read it like this, probably Kindle DX is your way to go.

Try resizing the image to 800x600 and then enlarge it in the most crappy way until it's as big as the screen of your reader (I believe the Nook is around 20 x 13 cm). If it's readable like that, then you can use kindle, nook, whatever. Do the same with the dimensions of the Kindle DX.

With such a small font and big margins, though, you may be out of luck even with the Kindle DX.

Cropping the pdf still looks like a must to me.
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 07:12 PM   #9
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
PRS900 will handle it. But to make it comfortably readable, you will need to read in landscape mode. It's doable, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Also, check our BRISS. It's a very user-friendly piece of freeware that allows you to reformat and crop PDFs.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:46 PM   #10
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
Let me join the conversation and see if somebody can get me off the hook.
I have a D2-912 tablet. I have no problems in reading "regular" PDF and EPUB books with a variety of e-readers. I have however a series of ( scanned, I guess?) PDF books which are next to impossible to handle: most of the e-readers I tried take ages to open them. I converted them to E-Pub. Lot better! However the pages and characters in EPUB format are a bit small. I can live with it for Roman fonts, but part of the text are in Greek characters and it would help to be able to control the font size and the page lay-out, like with the PDF, but unfortunately the EPub conversion from the original scanned PDF does not allow ANY control. THe page is there, but looks like an image: fixed fonts, fixed margins. I can only change the backround color , i.e. the margins outside the page proper.
I heard about OCR and converting the original scanned PDF to text or HTML, edit and then re-convert to regular E-PUB, which should by then be controllable like a regular EPUB. Aside from the hassle of double-converting a ton of books, it all sounds very esoteric.
Any suggestions?

THanks

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 06:54 PM   #11
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Try to "select" the text in a pdf reader. If you can select the text it should be convertible to a text e-pub. If won't allow you to select text, it is probably a "picture" of text stored as an image in the original pdf and the only way to do what you want is OCR it to get the text then make it an epub.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #12
Sgt.Stubby
Connoisseur
Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sgt.Stubby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson7lim View Post
which ereader in store can read scanned pdf
X0-4 Touch (wholesales for around ~$200). Evince is installed at the factory and raster PDFs look good. Evince gives the option to "fit page" or "fit width", and also gives micro control over the scaling if you want neither of the "fit" settings.

The x0-4 touch would theoretically run BRISS (it runs Fedora), but I've not tried it yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
Also, check our BRISS. It's a very user-friendly piece of freeware that allows you to reformat and crop PDFs.
I've been looking for a tool like that. Is it a destructive or non-destructive crop? Most PDF tools do a non-destructive crop by merely adjusting the viewable area while storing the trim out of sight.

Ideally, a tool would autocrop the whole document non-destructively. And then (ideally) a PDF reader would enable the user to destructively make the crop permanent page-by-page as they read. So after the first time the user reads the book, the PDF would result as custom cropped and the file would be smaller because no space would be wasted on the trim around each image.

Last edited by Sgt.Stubby; 01-02-2014 at 10:19 PM.
Sgt.Stubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 03:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Moderator Notice
Please do not reply to 3-year-old posts, especially when you can see for yourself (by clicking on the poster's name) that they haven't visited MR for over a year.

Thank you.
Old 01-03-2014, 06:39 AM   #14
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Please do not reply to 3-year-old posts, especially when you can see for yourself (by clicking on the poster's name) that they haven't visited MR for over a year.

Thank you.
Sorry for the intrusion in the ..land of the dead. Next time I'll heed your advice and look. Anyway, this time they don't look dead, after all, because I got some good replies, so I'll post a rejoinder as I come back from work.
Have a good day and thanks to those who replied. This Forum is terrific.

Cheers

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #15
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
Let me join the conversation and see if somebody can get me off the hook.
I have a D2-912 tablet. I have no problems in reading "regular" PDF and EPUB books with a variety of e-readers. I have however a series of ( scanned, I guess?) PDF books which are next to impossible to handle: most of the e-readers I tried take ages to open them. I converted them to E-Pub. Lot better! However the pages and characters in EPUB format are a bit small. I can live with it for Roman fonts, but part of the text are in Greek characters and it would help to be able to control the font size and the page lay-out, like with the PDF, but unfortunately the EPub conversion from the original scanned PDF does not allow ANY control. THe page is there, but looks like an image: fixed fonts, fixed margins. I can only change the backround color , i.e. the margins outside the page proper.
I heard about OCR and converting the original scanned PDF to text or HTML, edit and then re-convert to regular E-PUB, which should by then be controllable like a regular EPUB. Aside from the hassle of double-converting a ton of books, it all sounds very esoteric.
Any suggestions?

THanks

Ittiandro
We can use k2pdfopt app to adjust any pdf for any e-ink or lcd screen out there (relatively quickly and easily).

http://www.willus.com/k2pdfopt/

e.g. if it takes 3-5 seconds to turn the pdf page on our tablet or e-ink, it is probably due to the pdf compression method used or big page size (that would require more memory or faster processor).
Transforming such pdf using default settings in k2pdfopt will allow our tablet or e-ink to turn pdf pages in a second again.

As an answer to the original question; which ereader can read scanned pdf like this?

Kindle DX can easily and quickly read those double sided scannes, using installed kindlepdfviewer thereon and adjusting the horizontal scroll to maximum (two joystick pushes per double page) or using two-column mode.

But it is really matter of minutes or seconds for cutting those double sided scannes into a single page pdf, using Briss, Pdfscissors, k2pdfopt, Acrobat etc. and additional 20-30 minutes per the average book for quick OCR-ing (exact pdf image) in Acrobat, Abbyy Finereader etc. so that we can use dictionary, search function, highlighting and all the pdf zooming options we want.

Last edited by markom; 01-03-2014 at 11:15 AM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote