Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
Thumbs up PRS T2 VS Kobo Glo (replacing PRS 650)

Hi! I decided to make a post here since i'm going all nuts in doubt picking one of the above. Not that I haven't the posts around, I have, I’ve been reading everything I can on both models and i just get more and more confused .

For me positive points about kobo:

- Higher res.
- Light.
- Better design;

About the Sony:

- Better Dictionary;
- PDF reflow;
- Runs on top of android;

Points to consider:

-I don't know better the experience can be with the higher res. screen, specially considering i already read sometimes on my prs 650 on the smallest font settings and it was ok.

- I was never much a dictionary worm, but the oxford American dictionary on prs changed that in me, I don't feel so confortable since the kobo's dic apparently have a lot less information (although i could just take quick looks over it on video reviews). Can anyone comment on this?

- Fact that prs t2 can be rooted is a big plus, since it could run lots of stores app. (I'm sure right now it must not be the stable-est thing to do, but with time i guess it will become more stable? Should I hope for this?). I consider I have some experience rooting/swapping roms/kernels of android, since already did it in a xoom, kindle fire and 2 phones);

Any general opnion to shed some light in my indecision?

--------edit

Forgot a important point:

How's Japanese suport on european kobo glo/t2? Do any get any dictionaries or are able to display jpn text vertical?

Last edited by vbkun; 12-21-2012 at 06:19 PM.
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:40 AM   #2
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Kobo's Japanese support is very good: same as on a Japanese model, including Japanese and Japanese-English-Japanese dictionaries. All models internationally run the same firmware.

However the English Merriam-Webster dictionary on the Kobos is really underwhelming. Hopefully they introduce a Kindle-like option to at least buy better ones.

Last edited by stewacide; 12-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #3
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
The T2 is more responsive with quicker page turns.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote